Curious re compensation for in-house attorneys

lolwat

Curious re compensation for in-house attorneys

Post by lolwat » Thu May 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Yeah, I scrolled through the legal salaries database above, don't worry :)

I'm basically curious what a reasonable range of compensation is for in-house positions around the 5-10 year attorney range--and whether there's any significant potential for going up from there. I have a very rough guess based on what I've seen, but could be totally off-base and wouldn't want to poison the well in any event. Most interested in major markets and tech companies, but more than happy to take data points from anywhere. Feel free to include as much info as you want (especially if it's something tied to compensation, like "I'm being paid a shitload of money, but I'm also working biglaw hours" or "base compensation is low, but they more than make up for it with xyz").

Stanford4me

Re: Curious re compensation for in-house attorneys

Post by Stanford4me » Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Have you looked at the various in-house compensation surveys? Also, are you thinking of doing the hunt alone or with a recruiter?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Yo. Put a survey in this question so we can at least pretend that privacy exists. :)

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Thu May 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Stanford4me wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 pm
Have you looked at the various in-house compensation surveys? Also, are you thinking of doing the hunt alone or with a recruiter?
Nope, but thank you for the links! I'm guessing they'll be much along the lines of the type of info I'm looking for. :)

I'm not hunting at this time, but I'm collecting some data for myself and a couple friends so we'll know what we're potentially getting ourselves into if we decide to go down that route. (For some it may be a raise, for others a significant paycut.)

I would guess that if I were to hunt, it would be alone if I've built up enough connections with current in-house attorneys at companies I'm interested in, but with a recruiter for companies where I don't know anyone.
Yo. Put a survey in this question so we can at least pretend that privacy exists. :)
Let me try in a bit. I thought the info would be somewhat basic enough to avoid being outed but I also forget that some people might be known around here.