Jobless 2L at NU with 3.0 GPA

AnonymousNU

Jobless 2L at NU with 3.0 GPA

Post by AnonymousNU » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:52 pm

I've been applying to jobs nonstop since I struck out at OCI. Mass mailed 300+ firms, and I have applied to in house positions and public interest jobs that seem interesting but I haven't had an interview since September. I continue to apply for any random biglaw job that comes on simplicity. What now?

Slytherpuff

Re: Jobless 2L at NU with 3.0 GPA

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Keep sending out applications and talk to your school's Career Services people as much as possible. They want everyone to have jobs and might be able to give you some more ideas/connections.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm sorry you've had a tough time landing anything for your 2L summer, that's never a fun position to be in. It's good you've kept your effort up, because so much of this game is based on effort when you aren't going through the traditional hiring channels.

First, while you've sent out so many mass mails, which is a great start, how targeted have they been? Have you been hitting every firm in every market where you have ties or could see yourself in? Considering your grades won't generally impress anyone in a hiring position, you'll want to cast as wide a net as possible, and that includes applying to every market you could conceivably find yourself in, even if initially you targeted only the markets you wanted most/had strongest ties in. You should also be looking at smaller firms in those markets, because while they won't likely pay market Biglaw for those cities, employment is always better than unemployment, and at this point in the academic year, you can't be that picky in what job you consider.

And that leads to my second point: while you've applied to public interest jobs that seem interesting, you need to consider what an interesting job looks like to you. If you've never thought about applying for a DA job in a suburb, now is the time to consider it. If you've mainly stayed in major metropolitan areas, maybe find some smaller cities and suburbs where the strength of your NU credentials will carry more weight. Your degree in and of itself carries some pedigree, so you should try to leverage that in every avenue you can find, and that might include starting out at smaller firms and subjectively less desirable public interest jobs, especially since we're talking about 2L summer and not ultimate employment, even if those occasionally go hand in hand.

This isn't meant to be doom and gloom, and I'm really sorry the traditional avenues of employment out of NU haven't worked out for you, but that gives you the opportunity to expand your search and find opportunities that will hopefully lead to fulfilling, gainful employment in something that you find interesting.

You need to be working with every arm of your Career Services for sure, and there is the easy advice to spend as much time applying, networking, and working contacts you have at firms until you find something, but you also need to be expanding your search in ways that you might not have considered initially. Where and when that best opportunity might come up is beyond any of us to suggest or predict.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:42 pm

The above is good advice, but I’d also consider reworking your resume at this point some too.