3rd yr to in-house possible?

Associate

3rd yr to in-house possible?

Post by Associate » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Am an L&E associate with mildly good experience and results. Dont know anything about law I am barely hanging on day to day. At least that is how I feel. I know I cant do biglaw in the long run. There are better ways to make money while having a life.

When is a good time to interview for in-house positions? I know it depends on the person but is there such thing as too soon?

Toni

Re: 3rd yr to in-house possible?

Post by Toni » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 am

I interviewed twice. Both times everyone I met with was a good 10 years older than me. So, it’s a bit of a Hail Mary. I should add that both companies had revs exceeding 100B. My takeaway, L&T is essential.

swing

Post by swing » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm a 2015 grad and I just made the jump to a start-up. It's possible just have to hustle, especially if you're like me (TTT and no biglaw).

RespondeatInferior

Post by RespondeatInferior » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 pm

I started as an in-house, but I don't think there's a real set standard for this because it depends on your connections, the industry and/or your other background experience. Going in-house for a health care organization may make sense with little legal experience if you have, for example, several years of quality control or healthcare administration experience. I guess the risk in starting to soon is also, purportedly, that it's hard to backpedal if things don't work out in-house.

If you're looking to get into labor law and you're looking at union side, it also depends on the size of the union, a smaller union and you may be the only attorney, so you'd be interviewing with the business manager typically, and not with a supervising attorney. Typically the business manager is elected from the trade of the union. So you're interviewing with a crane operator or a journeyman electrician or what have you, and you can talk up your blue collar background (if you have one) or why you want to be a part of the labor movement, etc., you'll get more points for a good story than you normally would.

If you're looking to get into employer side labor/employment law: go to hell you rat fuck.

Pleasy E

Post by Pleasy E » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 pm

RespondeatInferior wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 pm
If you're looking to get into employer side labor/employment law: go to hell you rat fuck.
First of all 🙄 and second, these are the on-topics. If you want to debate the merits of employer or employee-side L&E, go for it. But do it respectfully and without name calling. Thanks.

Lock3

Post by Lock3 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:26 pm

I left in my second year. Totally possible. I had two inhouse offers. However, all were through personal networking.

RespondeatInferior

Post by RespondeatInferior » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Pleasy E wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 pm
RespondeatInferior wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 pm
First of all 🙄 and second, these are the on-topics. If you want to debate the merits of employer or employee-side L&E, go for it. But do it respectfully and without name calling. Thanks.
Sorry, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

James Baxter

Post by James Baxter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:07 pm

I’m a corporate associate, so take this with a grain of salt, but I’m getting much more interest now as a 3rd year for in-house positions.