Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Stub Year Questions

Stub Year

Stub Year Questions

Post by Stub Year » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:26 am

I'm about two months in. There's only been one weekend where I've needed to work. I'm currently staffed on a long-term project, and I don't know if I should go in on the weekends to do it; I don't think that would be necessary. Is this normal? I'm not getting emails to do work on Friday-Sun.

freshy dog

Re: Stub Year Questions

Post by freshy dog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 pm

For a stub that’s normal IME. I only started needing to work on weekends once I got ramped up on a number of projects and weekend work became a matter of just needing that time to finish everything on my plate - not necessarily people emailing me to do stuff on the weekends (though that also happens, but more uncommonly).

I definitely would not go into the office if I didn’t have work to do.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:15 pm

It's normal enough. Depending on the firm, your practice area, and your luck with deadlines and emergencies, you might be able to avoid weekend work a lot of times. I generally only work weekends if there's a Monday or Tuesday deadline for something, usually some sort of emergency or short deadline filing (things with longer deadlines are often complete well before the weekend).

Pratis

Post by Pratis » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Yeah even when I’m busy I rarely work weekends, and then mostly only a couple of hours. I only regularly work weekends when I’m slammed.

(I type from my office on a Sunday...)

Stub Year

Post by Stub Year » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:30 pm

OP here. How many of you had work over Thanksgiving, and how much? I barely have any and I'm concerned if I'm just not working hard enough?

ezrafitz

Post by ezrafitz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Stub Year wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:30 pm
OP here. How many of you had work over Thanksgiving, and how much? I barely have any and I'm concerned if I'm just not working hard enough?
Not a stub year, and billed exactly zero hours from Thursday-Sunday. Don't overthink things like that too much. Just because some people get absolutely crushed and are working through weekends and holidays does not mean you should be concerned if you're not. Enjoy this, it may not always be this way.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Dude you need to just chill and enjoy the free time you're getting. I twiddled my thumb well into February of my first year, billed around 100 hours total for my first 4 months combined. Work will find you in due time.

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes, work will always find you eventually. Partners are well aware you have no control over your workflow as a first year.