In House Interview -- contract editing exercise

In House

In House Interview -- contract editing exercise

Post by In House » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:07 pm

I am currently interviewing with a company for a corporate counsel position. There will be a contract editing part of the interview. Has anyone every done this? What does it comprise?

HelloYesThisIsDog

Re: In House Interview -- contract editing exercise

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 pm

jendarby wrote:
No idea but bumping in case someone does - JD aren't you in house?

JenDarby

Post by JenDarby » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm

I had to do this one time for an in-house interview at an investment advisor. In that instance they gave me a standard ISDA and prime brokerage agreement and had me mark them up with suggested edits. Then they reviewed my edits and had me explain them.

To be honest, this firm seemed like a miserable place to work and I never experienced this type of exercise in any other in-house interviews.

kellyfrost

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 pm

In House wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:07 pm
I am currently interviewing with a company for a corporate counsel position. There will be a contract editing part of the interview. Has anyone every done this? What does it comprise?
How did this go?

JusticeHarlan

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Had to do this twice, once where they gave it to me ahead of time and we talked about it during the interview, and once when I showed up and before the GC and I talked he gave me the contract and 30 minutes or so to mark it up, with no warning that it would be part of the process.

It sucks, but going over it with the GC after I realized it was like the only thing in life that was similar to a law school exam. They’re looking for you to issue spot, first and foremost, and then to demonstrate knowledge of the relent provisions and talk about different ways to deal with those issues. For example, I flagged a most favored nations clause and brought up how I’d strike it because the company’s business model was such that they have so many clients that it would be impossible to track. That kind of stuff.

swing

Post by swing » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:14 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm
Had to do this twice, once where they gave it to me ahead of time and we talked about it during the interview, and once when I showed up and before the GC and I talked he gave me the contract and 30 minutes or so to mark it up, with no warning that it would be part of the process.

It sucks, but going over it with the GC after I realized it was like the only thing in life that was similar to a law school exam. They’re looking for you to issue spot, first and foremost, and then to demonstrate knowledge of the relent provisions and talk about different ways to deal with those issues. For example, I flagged a most favored nations clause and brought up how I’d strike it because the company’s business model was such that they have so many clients that it would be impossible to track. That kind of stuff.
Can we get more examples like this? I could see these points being relevant even outside of an editing exam.