Social Media and Employment

lkoy

Social Media and Employment

Post by lkoy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:47 am

Hey everyone.
I was wondering how much firms scour through social media accounts when in the hiring process.
How much should you filter your social media accounts?
Specifically, if someone applying at firms (medium sized) were to have a tattoo on their arms and have it exposed on social media... is this a bad look? Should that person just remove the picture and refrain from posting pictures that expose tattoos?

Thanks!

UVA2B

Re: Social Media and Employment

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Just use good judgment here. If it’s just showing you have a tattoo on your arm that is otherwise not a big deal, you probably won’t have to worry about it. But if you have a sleeve with skulls, crossbones and flaming unicorn blood riders, you’ll probably want to take that down.

This is really just advice based on living in the age of social media and trying to protect how you’re perceived in the world. Like having pictures of you with friends and clearly at a bar are fine in a vacuum, but if you’re regularly depicting yourself a drunken mess, that’s a problem. Use this type of logic across your social media platforms and voila, you’ve likely removed red flags for future employers.

lkoy

Post by lkoy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:52 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Just use good judgment here. If it’s just showing you have a tattoo on your arm that is otherwise not a big deal, you probably won’t have to worry about it. But if you have a sleeve with skulls, crossbones and flaming unicorn blood riders, you’ll probably want to take that down.

This is really just advice based on living in the age of social media and trying to protect how you’re perceived in the world. Like having pictures of you with friends and clearly at a bar are fine in a vacuum, but if you’re regularly depicting yourself a drunken mess, that’s a problem. Use this type of logic across your social media platforms and voila, you’ve likely removed red flags for future employers.
Thank you!
This is what I thought. In my mind, it seemed best to take the extra steps and be cautious.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:06 pm

A lot of people set all their social accounts to private while interviewing and it seems like an easy, safe approach to me (if maybe a little paranoid). Some even change/remove their surnames on accounts but I doubt I’d ever bother.

ss108

Post by ss108 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Not sure if I should piggy-back off this or start another thread, but what about a blog where one comments on partisan politics? I am asking w/r/t DoJ/other agency work down the line, not about big law (which I assume wouldn't care that much about it).

lkoy

Post by lkoy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 pm

ss108 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:20 pm
Not sure if I should piggy-back off this or start another thread, but what about a blog where one comments on partisan politics? I am asking w/r/t DoJ/other agency work down the line, not about big law (which I assume wouldn't care that much about it).
I've heard things about not linking yourself to something like that, however, I'm just a 0L going into 1L in August. I'm sure others can answer way better than I can.
I'd be curious to know the extent to which employers will search when thinking about hiring someone. Perhaps, if it were me, I would remove my name from it and make it anonymous.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:36 pm

ss108 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:20 pm
I can only speak to the security clearance side of this, not how the DOJ or other agencies would handle this in terms of employers, but as long as the writing you're doing isn't inflammatory hate speech, or in any way criticizes the United States government (and to be clear, this does not include criticizing politicians in the government, we're talking treasonous intent or desire to see harm to the United States), or somehow indicates a radical agenda that could be construed as wanting to overthrow the federal government, you should be good to pass background checks.

The list of things that could bar your security clearance is likely longer than what I put above, but it at least provides a framework for understanding what investigators will care about when looking into your background and activities considering political speech and writing.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 pm

I would be super cautious. There’s tons of stuff out there that can potentially make someone think you lack judgment. Anything from a bad picture to a tweet that someone finds tasteless. You never know, and honestly there is no reason you have to have those pics or tweets up anyway.

Same with blogs IMO. No one really reads random blogs, but if you do have enough of a readership for your blog for it to matter then I think its just how much you care about that vs the possibility that some employer might care.