Lacking Legal Experience

RecentGrad32

Lacking Legal Experience

Post by RecentGrad32 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Wanted to see if anyone else was in this boat as I am.

I went into law school as a part time student working a full time job (state investigator). I never quit my job or left to go work as a clerk or legal assistance like some of my other counterparts. I had bills to pay, and my job was paying for a good chunk of school so it never made sense. I have been applying to jobs and having very little luck. Some career counselors and mentors have advised that it may be because I dont have any true legal experience and have only worked in law enforcement. I was wondering, have any of you been in the same boat? If so, do you have any recommendations or advice for overcoming this?

lolwat

Re: Lacking Legal Experience

Post by lolwat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm

This makes no sense to me. What school did you attend?

RecentGrad32

Post by RecentGrad32 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Cleveland Marshall. What doesnt make sense? Should I not be having as hard of a time lol?

BearCat

Post by BearCat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm

What type of jobs have you been applying to, and how are your grades? Legal experience is very important, but superb grades can overcome a lack of that.

Unfortunately, graduates from a school like Cleveland Marshall generally have a hard time finding a job regardless of whether they have good grades or legal experience, to be honest. Only 50.4% of 2016 graduates managed to find full time jobs that require bar admission.

presh

Post by presh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:04 pm

There is no situation in which not having any legal experience during law school isn’t going to hurt you when job hunting. It’s difficult to say how much of your trouble stems from that and how much stems from the fact that you're likely competing with graduates of three better schools for jobs that are available.

What kind is work are you trying to get? What were your grades like? Did you do anything in law school that gives you any experience at all- internships or clinics?

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 am

The initial problem is the school. I’ve heard of a few people from that school get good outcomes but we’re talking literally like the #1 and #2 grads that year. But it is also true that at this point, the lack of legal experience is also hurting you since it sounds like you didn’t do any summer legal work because of your full-time jobs.

Answers to the above two posters’ questions may help us give some advice on how to approach thinfs from here. I’d say networking is the most likely to lead to something.

notlegaladvice

Post by notlegaladvice » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:11 am

In addition to answering the questions above, which you should absolutely do, can you also say more about your job having paid for a good chunk of your tuition? Was that some sort of general allowance for education, or were you trying to go back to your office/department(?) in a legal role?

Nova

Post by Nova » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm

BearCat wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm
What type of jobs have you been applying to, and how are your grades? Legal experience is very important, but superb grades can overcome a lack of that.

Unfortunately, graduates from a school like Cleveland Marshall generally have a hard time finding a job regardless of whether they have good grades or legal experience, to be honest. Only 50.4% of 2016 graduates managed to find full time jobs that require bar admission.
This number better go up in 5 years or I'll have to try and scratch my way in Case Western (if I even get accepted), which I don't want to do because A) they don't have part time classes and B) Workers Comp Law doesn't seem to be an option??