ACCEPT V20 OFFER OR 3L HIRING??

larrylegend

ACCEPT V20 OFFER OR 3L HIRING??

Post by larrylegend » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:09 pm

Having doubts about the firm I summered at. Feels like I might get lost in the proverbial sauce with nary a mentor.

I also worked wild hours (for a summer, otherwise pretty normal) and the people who recruited me heavily barely even responded to my emails for coffee chats. I get that people are busy, but if that was the vibe as a summer then I can't imagine it's much better once I'm an associate.

Considering dipping my toes in the spicy 3l hiring market since lots of firms seem to be desperate for warm bodies on the corporate side.

If relevant, I'm above median at a t6 and an urm

All that to get to the question: Would you see what's out there, especially at firms that might be more niche in a potential area of interest (tech transactions for me) or would you just suck it up and take the offer at firm 1?

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Re: ACCEPT V20 OFFER OR 3L HIRING??

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:37 pm

is it an either or thing? if you've already missed 3L OCI, I would just accept the offer, but I have no idea what the schedule looks like with covid. would not voluntarily enter the veil of tears, should be easy enough to jump ships once you start if things stay good.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:44 pm

^ yeah, echoing BU I would accept the offer and look for other jobs later, but a lot depends on your risk tolerance and goals and finances. for many people spending 3L without a firm offer of employment is super stressful, and can put you in the position of taking a job you never would’ve sought out in the first place.

Story

Post by Story » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:26 am

Is it too late to apply for clerkships? Some judges have weird hiring schedules.

I don’t know if you are lit or corp, but doing a clerkship can allow you to look at a new firm.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:49 am

Just accept the offer and keep looking and renege if something better comes along.

notachicken

Post by notachicken » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:54 am

^ accept and keep looking