Do a large amount of plaintiff’s lawyers tend to be conservative?

Story

Do a large amount of plaintiff’s lawyers tend to be conservative?

Post by Story » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:54 pm

I started realizing that many of the plaintiff’s lawyers I’ve met (and also private criminal defense lawyers) tend to be politically conservative. I would say at least 50%. Is this something you all have noticed as well?

Is there something about plaintiffs work or private crim defense that makes you conservative?

I asked because I randomly found out that a pretty big name plaintiff’s employment lawyer in NY is a big Trump supporter and donor.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: Do a large amount of plaintiff’s lawyers tend to be conservative?

Post by ymmv » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:57 pm

rich people tend to be extremely conservative, and rich white people in particular. is it possible your sample disproportionately includes wealthy and successful plaintiff/defense attorneys, and not the struggling or less-than-rich ones?

also the majority of white voters vote republican in general so it's important to account for that factor if you haven't already (keeping in mind 85% of lawyers are white).

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:13 am

P. Lawyers and private crim defense lawyers are also much closer to small business owners than big law patherns so it wouldn’t be super surprising if they’re more aligned with the chamber of commerce worldview than big law patherns, who are technically owners but not really.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:16 am

most big law partners are also pretty conservative, if not necessarily to the degree of being trump voters (though a lot of them were)

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:58 am

This isn't my experience of plaintiff's side employment lawyers, but I don't know any big name ones - they're either people from my (very liberal) law school or in small markets. I know in my law school market, plaintiff's side employment law had the reputation generally of being extremely liberal. I do think doing plaintiff's side employment law makes you cynical about employees as well as employers, but not sure that's going to make you more conservative.

The private criminal defense attorneys I've seen have varied a lot. I could definitely see a certain subset being conservative but lots I know aren't at all. But they're mostly people who do a lot of CJA work, I suspect if your practice is defending rich people charged with DUIs, or defending corporate actors on white-collar cases, your politics could be pretty different that if you spend your days defending your average drug or gun or violent crime defendant.

Story

Post by Story » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:44 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:13 am
P. Lawyers and private crim defense lawyers are also much closer to small business owners than big law patherns so it wouldn’t be super surprising if they’re more aligned with the chamber of commerce worldview than big law patherns, who are technically owners but not really.
This makes sense to me. Also, I think the gun-toting couple in STL were PI lawyers representing plaintiffs.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:10 am

90% of the lawyers I encounter in a major city are Dems. It’s notable when I meet a conservative lawyer. Biglaw though and dont know many plaintiffs lawyers

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:40 am

in addition to what everyone else said:

- there's not a whole lot separating lincoln-project republicans and centrist dems. pretty much the only difference is how religious they are. both are "fiscally conservative"
- plaintiffs' lawyers need to build bigger client bases (bc a lot are one-offs) so they're more inclined to be at least agnostic re: political affiliations
- and to BU's point, being part of the local chamber of commerce worldview isn't just about taxes, it really locks in the bootstrap mentality which is a republican talking point

Recruiter

Post by Recruiter » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:03 pm

Lol, OP I suspect you’re talking about one of the name partners at my firm; he’s definitely an exception here. The other name partner hosted a Biden fundraiser at his house.

Story

Post by Story » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Does your firm have only one name?

Recruiter

Post by Recruiter » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 am

As my post suggests, there is more than one named partner… the firm colloquially goes by the name of the first two. Is more than one trump-supporting prominent plaintiff-side employment lawyer? Interesting if so.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:36 am

Nearly all the plaintiffs' lawyers I'm across the table from are very conservative as well.

Edit: compared to the big law partners I work with who are nearly all liberal (might just be a DC thing though)

Story

Post by Story » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Last edited by Story on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Story

Post by Story » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Recruiter wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 am
As my post suggests, there is more than one named partner… the firm colloquially goes by the name of the first two. Is more than one trump-supporting prominent plaintiff-side employment lawyer? Interesting if so.
W igdor.is who I had in mind.

Easy-E

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:15 pm

I mean, I don't know if you are asking about street level PI lawyers (like me). Many members of my state's trial lawyers association are liberal for sure. I equate conservative with tort reform, so it makes sense. These are pretty wealthy folks.

Story

Post by Story » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Easy-E wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:15 pm
I mean, I don't know if you are asking about street level PI lawyers (like me). Many members of my state's trial lawyers association are liberal for sure. I equate conservative with tort reform, so it makes sense. These are pretty wealthy folks.
I’m talking about mostly solos or very small 3-5 person shops.

Trout

Post by Trout » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 pm

Easy-E wrote:
Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you meant, but this seems backwards to me (the entire thread generally, too).

Plaintiffs/plaintiff’s lawyers = suing companies = anti big business = disliked by republicans. There’s a reason tort reform has long been a GOP policy platform and it’s not because plaintiff’s lawyers are republican

Easy-E

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:28 pm

Trout wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 pm
Easy-E wrote:
Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you meant, but this seems backwards to me (the entire thread generally, too).

Plaintiffs/plaintiff’s lawyers = suing companies = anti big business = disliked by republicans. There’s a reason tort reform has long been a GOP policy platform and it’s not because plaintiff’s lawyers are republican
Maybe I just worded my post poorly but we are on the same page. I'm saying most PI lawyers I know lean left. Republican = tort reform.

Easy-E

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:30 pm

Story wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:40 pm
Easy-E wrote:
I’m talking about mostly solos or very small 3-5 person shops.
Yeah that's my world.

Recr

Post by Recr » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Story wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 pm
Recruiter wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 am
W igdor.is who I had in mind.
I figured as much. Turns out there is more than one person fitting the description; I was thinking of H eisler (of S anford & ___ fame). I just checked his FEC donations and he’s still pouring piles of money into the coffers of folks like Steve Scalise and Nicole Malliotakis