Best way to turn down an accepted offer for new offer?

AnonOp

Best way to turn down an accepted offer for new offer?

Post by AnonOp » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:22 pm

I am currently interviewing at 3-4 companies where I am a serious candidate. I received an offer this week that I need to respond to very soon (no extensions). I think I should be able get an offer from my preferred employer but that will likely take longer by about 2 weeks.

Is it ok to accept an offer but 2 weeks later quit/reneg? Obviously I want to avoid this but I cant. Plus other leads might not turn into an offer so that's a risk as well. What are the consequrnces I should know about and the best way to handle this if Inwere to get additional offers?

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: Best way to turn down an accepted offer for new offer?

Post by ymmv » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:33 pm

It sucks to have to do it, and may temporarily burn some bridges with that the reneged company's hiring department. But that's also just how it goes sometimes in the modern job market. I would just state as diplomatically as possible you've received an offer you can't turn down, thank them and move on. Ultimately you've gotta do what's best for you and your career, not what's convenient for some company's hiring department.

If you're a part of the Law Grad Lounge sub-forum, you can find a bunch of discussion about the reneging topic in recent threads.

Story

Re: Best way to turn down an accepted offer for new offer?

Post by Story » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:04 pm

I would just be up front with the scorned employer and tell them professionally and respectfully that you’ve decided to choose a different offer.

Do any of you have thoughts about what to say if the scorned employer asks, “Who are you working for instead of me?”