Which job should I take?

NoBadChoice

Which job should I take?

Post by NoBadChoice » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:10 pm

ezrafitz

Re: Which job should I take?

Post by ezrafitz » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:18 pm

I don’t think that either of these choices is a bad one. You did a pretty great job of listing the pros and cons of both. Based on your last couple of paragraphs, it seems that you are putting a lot of utility in the growth potential of SU. You stated that the roles are pretty much the same. So it would essentially boil down to whether the upside potential of SU outweighs your anxiety over reneging and giving up potential extra stability. I can’t put my finger on why, but as you presented these options, for myself at least, I would probably take WE without much additional thought. So in my mind, if your gut is pulling you very hard towards SU, you may be looking at giving yourself an eternal case of the “What ifs” if you don’t take SU.

TL;DR Based on the facts you have presented, I would go SU.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Everything about WE sounds better to me. It can be a real pain in the ass reporting back to Europe. You get equity in WE and the potential to hit the jackpot. You’d be a VP which is fucking cool.

E. I agree with Ez. Just based on what you listed, it seems like WE is a no-brainer. That it isn’t for you suggests there’s something really appealing to you about SU.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:25 pm

Congrats on having two awesome offers - I have to say I’m a little envious! I’d say go with your gut. Even if SU doesn’t pan out or you end up deciding it’s not for you, I think the experience will be hugely beneficial for your career. Sounds like you have the resume/connections to find another WE-type job if SU doesn’t work out.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:28 pm

I'm with BU, everything about WE sounds better to me personally. Both the subjective factors and the objective ones like superior benefits. From your description I can't really tell what's tempting about SU beyond the naturally/temporarily exciting change of scenery. Sounds like there's potential for explosive growth, but to me that's more than offset by the uncertain stability or equity. International travel for work is exciting but also inevitably exhausting if it's something you have to do regularly.

That said, your gut's probably a better guide to your personal wants and needs than any of us. If you think you'd be more fulfilled by taking the SU — or that you'd regret too much not seizing the chance — I say go for it. Sounds like you're in a perfect place career-wise and in terms of personal life to be taking risks and carping the diem.

Oh and congrats!!

haus

Post by haus » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:46 pm

First of congrats!

It sounds like either could be a great option for you. While I agree with BU that reporting to a team in the EU can be a pain at multiple levels, I get a sense you have some excitement for the role with SU.

Many years ago, I spent time with a tech startup, unfortunately it did not have the payout I had hopped for it was an interesting life experience and one that I enjoyed taking (it is also an experience I would not want to repeat now that I have a family and other obligations).

Regardless of what you choose, take a few moments to drink in the great moment of having some very nice options.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:51 pm

WE for sure. and CONGRATS!

North

Post by North » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 pm

IDK I don't see the appeal of having to put up start-up level dedication/work with zero equity, and "maybe partner in 5 years" is extremely bird in the bush. WE sounds better on total comp, upside, brand and stability, particularly if they have an IPO on the horizon. I'd take WE and not look back unless SU is willing to give you some substantial equity.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:15 pm

I'd go with WE for sure. They both sound great but WE sounds amazing (especially comp/benefits) and like more of a sure thing.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:17 pm

the more I think about this the more it feels like there's a little bit of this going on.

Story

Post by Story » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:27 pm

WE sounds better to me based on the pros you offered.

North

Post by North » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:28 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:17 pm
the more I think about this the more it feels like there's a little bit of this going on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: exactly

Crazycanuck

Post by Crazycanuck » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:46 pm

I would be very hesitant to go to a SU where there was general uncertainty about whether you will be eligible to get equity. You don’t want to run a SU, build someone’s else’s company from scratch, and get hung out to dry later. If there are no tangible requirements of what you need to do to get equity or an equity plan and it’s just a vague “we’ll consider it”, I’m not sure I would jump on that. Building a company from scratch is a lot of work, stress, travel, getting shit on, and soul consuming effort to be successful that if all you get is a pat on the head and a 90K bonus, then tbh that seems pretty shit to me. SUs should offer at least a path to earning equity. Instead they want to pay you what will probably amount to a rather paltry amount of money for the stress of building and growing a company from scratch.

That said, if the industry is something really exciting that you believe in, it’s worth a shot and maybe you get equity later, but be prepared that there’s a good chance you just get shit on. Building companies is an amazing experience.

In the situations, I usually go with my gut and never look back, never look to see if WE IPOd, if you take it you must forget WE ever existed.

Crazycanuck

Post by Crazycanuck » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:55 pm

The more I think about this the more I don’t like SU, this isn’t some company started in a garage a year ago and is growing faster than the founders can handle and they don’t want to give up equity and have some VCs that are protecting equity and valuation, this is an established company in Europe that wants you to build their US presence with no clear path to equity? That’s.... interesting. IMO that introduces a lot more risk into the decision.

Everything about this sets off more red flags as I was driving to get a burrito and thinking about it. Why aren’t they clear about equity? Are they not committed to the US and salary on is a low risk option? You could be successful and build the business for them to send in some equity exec to take over and send you to the street, or keep you as a lower level exec and your reward for the risk you’re taking is nothing. I dunno the SU doesn’t seem like an awesome SU situation. The reward part of the risk/reward of going to a SU is fucked here. If you’re successful there’s no guarantee of a reward.
Last edited by Crazycanuck on Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nony

Post by Nony » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 pm

I know nothing about equity and how businesses work and what's a red flag, so my opinion's not worth much here. My personal take is that I'd take WE, too, but as a couple of people have already suggested, it sounds like if you did take SU, you'd be in a great position to get a future job at a WE equivalent, if SU doesn't work out. And I can see the appeal of getting the experience of building something. So I don't think there's a *bad* option here.

Honestly, if I couldn't otherwise decide, I'd probably go with WE to avoid the awkwardness of reneging on them. But that said, if you want SU, that awkwardness totally shouldn't hold you back, at all.

North

Post by North » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:06 pm

also want to echo that working with/for europe-based anything SUCKS the moment the novelty wears off, which happens pretty quickly ime.

North

Post by North » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:07 pm

Nony wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 pm
it sounds like if you did take SU, you'd be in a great position to get a future job at a WE equivalent, if SU doesn't work out.
"it's an unpaid internship, but there's a chance we'll take you on full time and if not you'll get great experience that you'll be able to sell in future job interviews"

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:16 pm

WE

Europe sucks and their businesses suck relative US. Let them fill the role with another sucker.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:19 pm

So, recent law grad and my opinion isn't very valuable here, but my risk tolerance says WE all the way.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:23 pm

North wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:06 pm
also want to echo that working with/for europe-based anything SUCKS the moment the novelty wears off, which happens pretty quickly ime.
this really cannot be stressed enough

Nony

Post by Nony » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:25 pm

North wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:07 pm
Nony wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 pm
it sounds like if you did take SU, you'd be in a great position to get a future job at a WE equivalent, if SU doesn't work out.
"it's an unpaid internship, but there's a chance we'll take you on full time and if not you'll get great experience that you'll be able to sell in future job interviews"
No, I know, but I think anon clearly has the chops both to get a great offer from WE already, and the experience/knowledge/work maturity (not sure how to word that) to make sure to get what they want/need out of SU (which also really isn't the same as an unpaid internship, because not giving you equity while paying you like a class of 2017 associate + at least 40% bonus isn't exactly the same as kicking you to the curb, and someone who's getting an offer for a VP position from WE isn't in the same position as an intern who doesn't yet have a real job). Like I think it's fair for someone to feel confident enough in their ability to get another job down the road that they decide to take the slightly less certain thing if it appeals to them, since it looks like neither job is going to be a financial burden - one just might turn out better than the other in the long run.

Like I said, I'd take WE, because I too am cautious and risk-averse, and I'm sure all the people saying that working with Europe actually sucks are right. But I also have no interest in taking on a leadership role and building a company. I can just see how SU might be appealing if you do have that interest.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:09 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:23 pm
North wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:06 pm
this really cannot be stressed enough
YUP. WE is a better option objectively and the what ifs aren't worth it in this case imo

goden
Confirmed Bust

Post by goden » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:00 pm

I would also go WE and I am in a similar boat in terms of life situation. I think the "building the team out" aspect is really the only thing that stands out to me about SU that you can't really get with WE. If we're looking at comp, it's WE no question. With WE you still get the huge upside of a future potential IPO without the risk of getting shafted like Canuck mentions.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:02 pm

WE for all the reasons other people listed.

North

Post by North » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:33 pm

OP what's the verdict