1L Summer Scheduling

01panm

1L Summer Scheduling

Post by 01panm » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:01 pm

I'll be working at a government agency this summer and am assuming there's some flexibility as to my start and end dates (maybe I'm wrong on this).

I've noticed that 10 weeks seems to be the standard, but I'd only need to complete 8 weeks to get full summer funding from my school. Should I still be trying to do 10 weeks? (does 8 weeks look bad, pro bono credit, etc.) And if I were to do 8 weeks, should I be starting late or ending early?

UVA2B

Re: 1L Summer Scheduling

Post by UVA2B » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Is the government agency in the market you want to network? The biggest thing you'll want 1L summer to accomplish is to network at various firm events (this is assuming you want biglaw in the market, so ignore my advice if that's not the case) and hopefully lock down early interviews. Early interviews are becoming en vogue for big firms in some markets.

Otherwise, you want as much substantive experience that you can talk about in interviews. So try to maximize your time at your agency. Get the 10 weeks if they're establishing start/end dates, but otherwise feel free to start early, late, or anything in between that gets you substantive experience.

01panm

Post by 01panm » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am

Yeah, I'll be interning in NYC and also targeting it in EIP. But since recruiting starts so early in August, doing a full 10 weeks would mean starting in mid-May right after finals. I was just wondering if trying to squeeze in a two week break (either before or after interning) is worth a shorter internship.

jeff chiles

Post by jeff chiles » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 am

I’d shoot for 8 weeks I honestly don’t see an extra 2 weeks giving you any meaningfully better experience that would outweigh the benefit of a week or two off after finals or before fall hiring.

If they insist on 10 I guess that’s what you have to do but I’d try for 8.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 am

Obviously hiring keeps moving forward, so if you feel like you need that extra time to prep and network toward the end of the summer, there is nothing hurtful to your resume by doing 8 weeks vice 10 weeks if the agency is cool with it. I don't think taking the two week break at the beginning of the summer really does anything helpful for you professionally, but if you need it personally, that's on you. I don't think it'll hurt, though.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am

UVA2B wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 pm
Is the government agency in the market you want to network? The biggest thing you'll want 1L summer to accomplish is to network at various firm events (this is assuming you want biglaw in the market, so ignore my advice if that's not the case) and hopefully lock down early interviews. Early interviews are becoming en vogue for big firms in some markets.

Otherwise, you want as much substantive experience that you can talk about in interviews. So try to maximize your time at your agency. Get the 10 weeks if they're establishing start/end dates, but otherwise feel free to start early, late, or anything in between that gets you substantive experience.
any general advice on networking? should we be emailing younger associate alums or partners? thanks!

barkschool

Post by barkschool » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am

proteinshake wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am
UVA2B wrote:

any general advice on networking? should we be emailing younger associate alums or partners? thanks!
Partners at undergrad alumni then partners at law school alumni is my go to method. Associates have no power to influence these types of decisions but may be able to answer some substituve questions.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:04 pm

barkschool wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am
proteinshake wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Partners at undergrad alumni then partners at law school alumni is my go to method. Associates have no power to influence these types of decisions but may be able to answer some substituve questions.
any reason why you prefer those from your undergrad?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:04 pm
barkschool wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am
proteinshake wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

any reason why you prefer those from your undergrad?
It varies, but as a general matter, most people identify more with their undergrad than they do with their law school alma mater. It takes them back to the fun days of college instead of the comparatively less fun days of law school (again, this is just broadly speaking).

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 pm

I think it also depends on your undergrad. My UG is about 2000 students and so the classes are small, you get to know people, and also they’re huge on developing this sense of community because then you donate to them as an alum. If you went to Huge Generic State U, your law school might be a better bet (no disrespect meant to HGSUs out there. Was going to pick like Ohio State as an example until I remembered OSU people all seem to bond over football, so maybe something more like the U of MN or the U of Central Florida). Basically you will know your school and if you don’t feel like you have anything in common with someone just for going to your UG, consider your law school.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 pm

thanks yall! alums from my UG are incredibly loyal so I’ll definitely make sure I show the connection when cold emailing.

barkschool

Post by barkschool » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:00 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 pm
thanks yall! alums from my UG are incredibly loyal so I’ll definitely make sure I show the connection when cold emailing.
I also think of UG as somehow a connection that is non-work related. And that makes it a way better icebreaker anyways, b/c it has nothing to do with what your goal is, getting employed.

Plus. I like to talk about it more than Law school anyways.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:18 am

Wait so it is not out of place to just randomly email a partner at a firm? Would you just be saying hello and attaching a copy of your resume or asking them substantive questions about their practice? Seems odd to me, but are partners at big firms go on coffee chats with 1Ls?

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:23 am

Do the 10 weeks. Being a 1L summer at a govt agency is extremely chill. You'll be fine, and showing your best side for 10 weeks will go a long way towards getting interesting assignments and good references. Take a couple long weekends when you need a break.