Character & Fitness story & questions

Anonymous4545

Character & Fitness story & questions

Post by Anonymous4545 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi i came here from TLS, and have hesitated to post this question without the anonymous feature. Sorry for the long post in advance.

I was midway through the school application process this past fall (i only completed one application) when I got into an unfortunate legal situation.

I met someone at a bar (a 1L law student at a local school) and we began talking, shortly thereafter I gave him my rough address "oh I live right down the street at the corner of blank and blank" and my phone number. He began sexually harassing me and I left quickly. I received a text later that night from a random number (who I assumed to be him) asking if he could come over with friends, to which i responded "Nope." I was hanging out with friends in my house, and roughly 30 minutes later this guy shows up with other people (I knew none of them.) One of my friends had let them in thinking I knew them.

I didn't want to make big scene or anyone to get violent, so I did not immediately make them leave. They started drinking our alcohol (we had all been drinking) and he keeps making sexually suggestive comments to me. I began to kick them out, they protested and started yelling at me, and so I pulled out a large pocketknife and told them to leave (which they then did.)

He texted me that day saying that I committed "the definition of assault". I ignored the text. I got arrested the next evening for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and spent the weekend in jail, released on a low bail. From what I gathered from the police report, the guy told the police (and called the DA) and said that I had been doing drugs and that I chased them down the street with a knife. I quickly submitted a clean drug test and copies of our text exchange to the DA, and explained the events of that night. The DA dropped the case within the month and the charges were not accepted.

I have not yet filed for expungement.

I am wondering now a couple of things:
1. I know I need to disclose this on any applications I make in the future; will it hurt my chances of acceptance?

2. If I decide to accept the offer from the one school I applied to this past year, I want to disclose all of this, because it all happened after my application was completed. How best should I approach this?

3. How will this arrest record affect my Bar Character & Fitness?

ballinoutacontro

Re: Character & Fitness story & questions

Post by ballinoutacontro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 pm

1. bar apps usually ask for all charges or something like that even if they were dropped so yes. don't recall about law school apps. Job apps definitely no, at least at law firms. Maybe government jobs u would but idk anything about that
2. you probably technically have a continuing duty to disclose. but my school told us we could submit an addendum during 1L orientation in case anyone "forgot" anything and to "update your application."
3. you'll be fine. it takes a friken lot to fail c&f, and u didn't even get convicted of anything.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:09 am

1. Assuming you reapply next year:
School applications? No. Clean drug test, dropped the case, charges not accepted - not going to affect your apps to law schools. If you don't have anything else other than minor traffic tickets or something, I seriously can't see you having C&F issues for law school acceptance. FWIW, I had significantly more to report and had zero issues with C&F. *I can't speak to job apps.*

Also for school apps, look at the questions closely. Some ask if you've ever been charged with a crime, some convicted, etc. Assuming you have nothing else, you may not have to disclose to the school depending on how the question is asked.

2. If you decide to accept the offer from your current school:
I got a speeding ticket (my school makes you disclose moving traffic violations) and a minor non-traffic infraction after acceptance. I know it's a different situation, but I just emailed the admissions office and asked if I could update my file for C&F. In your case, I'd just email them and tell them you need to update your file due to something that occurred after your applied and ask what the process is for doing so. My school just had me email them what happened since it was minor, (I got a traffic ticket on X date for X speed and a ticket for Z on X date) but your school may ask for an addendum or something.

Anecdotally, my friend had something not serious but more serious than underage drinking or speeding tickets that she didn't disclose on her applications and realized it like, mid-October (after we started school). She just asked to update her file stating that she genuinely forgot due to how long ago it was. Again, they were totally cool with it, and it was no big deal.

3. Again, assuming you have nothing else on your record other than minor traffic violations or an underage drinking ticket or something, you will be fine for C&F, especially if charges weren't even accepted and the case was completely dropped. Just disclose everything and be honest.

Also just gonna say fuck that guy, what a douche bag.

Leela

Post by Leela » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:06 am

The advice above is good, I don't really have anything constructive to add, so I will tell you a something I have told before, at least on the old site intended to put your mind at ease.

I work across from an ADA who has committed not one, but two, violent assaults with weapons as an adult. He was convicted of both. Not only was he admitted to the bar, he was hired by a DA's office. I also know people admitted with gun possession convictions, evidence tampering charges, and serious drug convictions

People wildly, WILDLY, overestimate what it takes to be excluded from the bar because people with serious criminal issues don't discuss them (obviously). You're going to be just fine.

Also stay safe, this guy sounds dangerous

Anonymous4545

Post by Anonymous4545 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Thank you each. Would you word a character and fitness addendum like the above, and explain the whole story? Or would you keep it simple (charge > dismissed)? I feel like something like aggravated assault warrants an explanation, but I know schools/the bar also don't want it to sound like you're trying to explain away your charges.

Leela

Post by Leela » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:08 pm

Anonymous4545 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:31 pm
I met someone at a bar, we began talking and exchanged phone numbers. Later that evening I was with friends in my house and one of my friends let this person and several other friends into my home, thinking I knew them.

I didn't want to make big scene or anyone to get violent, so I did not immediately make them leave. They started drinking and making sexually suggestive comments to me. I began to kick them out, they protested and started yelling at me, and so I pulled out a large pocketknife and told them to leave .

I was arrested the next evening for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. I submitted copies of our text exchange to the DA, and explained the events of that night. The DA dropped the case within the month and the charges were not accepted.
I would do something like this. Will delete at your request, of course

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:27 pm

The above is good. Here is what I would write because I think it emphasizes that he was behaving in a terrifying and inappropriate manner that led you to reasonably worry about your personal safety.

I met someone at a bar and we began talking and exchanged phone numbers. He later texted me to ask if he could come over, to which I responded "no". Later that evening, I was at my house with some friends when he showed up despite my earlier refusal. One of my friends let this person and several others into my home, thinking I knew them.

I didn't want to make a big scene that could lead to any one getting violent, so I didn't immediately make them leave. However, once they began drinking and making sexually suggestive comments towards me, I began to kick them out. They protested and started yelling at me. Considering the sexually suggestive comments made towards me and the fact that he had shown up despite me saying no, I was worried that they would not leave and/or begin to get violent, so when I told them to leave again, I pulled out a large pocketknife.

I was arrested the next evening for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. I submitted copies of our text exchange to the DA and explained the events of that night. The DA dropped the case within the month and the charges were not accepted.

*Like I said, I think it helps to emphasize how inappropriate and quite frankly scary his behavior was because it makes your response read more reasonably. Others might disagree, though - just my thoughts!
Last edited by waldorf on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Post by emkay625 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:27 pm

I don't have any advice on the character and fitness issues, other than to say I agree with the above.

But I will say this guy seems like a bit of a loose cannon. I would encourage you to file a police report of your own about the incident, so that you have documentation in case there is a future incident. Also make sure all of your roommates are fully apprised of the situation so they know to call the police if he ever comes to your home again. If he ever comes back, do not let him in and call the police immediately.

Leela

Post by Leela » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:28 pm

I like waldorf's version better than mine, for the exact reasons she lists

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:46 am

And of course, I will delete at the OP’s request. I also agree with what others have said with regard to your future safety. Whoever this is sounds dangerous and manipulative. Make sure any roommates/friends know of the situation and who he is so that they know never to let him in your home and to contact the police if he were to show up. You will be fine for C&F - don’t let any worries with regard to that keep you from also focusing on your personal safety.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:24 am

If you want to make sure the other guy's C&F stuff addresses how you were treated, file for a restraining order against him. He'll have to disclose it and the bar will have lots of questions for him about why he was harassing you and why he made false statements to the DA.

On the other hand, he sounds like a nut and he knows where you live, so maybe move apartments first.