Bronx defenders?

Lawyer person

Bronx defenders?

Post by Lawyer person » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am

I am a lawyer who is thinking of applying for and working at the nearby Bronx Defenders. Do any of you know about their quality of work, reputation, etc.? Have any of you worked their before or had dealings with them?

I have never done defense work, but I’m looking for a career change. I have done some work for “the man,” but not prosecution. Mostly civil regulatory work.

Hey_Everybody

Re: Bronx defenders?

Post by Hey_Everybody » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 pm

They're generally known as one of the best PD offices in the country. Frankly I think without any defense experience or at least strong work history of working with indigent clients you don't have much of a chance to get hired. But it's worth throwing an app at them if you want to work there.

nycPD

Post by nycPD » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:52 pm

not going to pause to dispel the myth that they are "one of the best PD offices." because they're not and it's not worth the time to write why (since its not the question).

they're not doing any criminal hiring so you would be applying to the civil practice. which seems to line up with your experience. their civil practice is pretty respected and they do a lot (most) of their work in housing court. any experience with that will be a big plus. it's definitely competitive (just not as competitive as criminal). Quality of work is high, but quality of life isn't great so you have to really WANT to do the work

Lawyer person

Post by Lawyer person » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks, nycPD. I didn’t know about the civil practice. Do some of the Bronx Defenders lawyers transfer from civil to criminal?

I would like to know why Bronx Defenders is not “the best,” if you don’t mind giving more details. You seem to have at least some negative views of the office that I would like to know.

nycPD

Post by nycPD » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:08 pm

Lawyer person wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 pm
Thanks, nycPD. I didn’t know about the civil practice. Do some of the Bronx Defenders lawyers transfer from civil to criminal?

I would like to know why Bronx Defenders is not “the best,” if you don’t mind giving more details. You seem to have at least some negative views of the office that I would like to know.
Well no one is getting hired in criminal now so civil is your only choice. I think it's possible but rarely happens (the transfer). that I don't know too much about so can't say the actual chances.

I don't really have any negative views--BxD is a fantastic office that is doing fantastic work--but there's a bit of a circle jerk among law students/not PDs about PD office prestige that isn't real. The nyc offices are mostly fungible and every office has amazing lawyers in it--there's nothing more "special" about BxD other than cultivating their own image. Until recently they weren't unionized and had high turnover. I think things have gotten better as caseloads have come down. But you're in the Bronx so you wont have many trials.

Again it comes down to do you WANT to do the work. If you do then BxD, LAS, MFY legal services are all great places to do it

Lawyer person

Post by Lawyer person » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:13 pm

nycPD wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:08 pm
Lawyer person wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 pm

Well no one is getting hired in criminal now so civil is your only choice. I think it's possible but rarely happens (the transfer). that I don't know too much about so can't say the actual chances.

I don't really have any negative views--BxD is a fantastic office that is doing fantastic work--but there's a bit of a circle jerk among law students/not PDs about PD office prestige that isn't real. The nyc offices are mostly fungible and every office has amazing lawyers in it--there's nothing more "special" about BxD other than cultivating their own image. Until recently they weren't unionized and had high turnover. I think things have gotten better as caseloads have come down. But you're in the Bronx so you wont have many trials.

Again it comes down to do you WANT to do the work. If you do then BxD, LAS, MFY legal services are all great places to do it
Thanks, nycPD. I am unfamiliar with Bronx criminal work. Why are trials hard to come by in the Bronx?