Tax Llm without accounting degree?

jenw33

Tax Llm without accounting degree?

Post by jenw33 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Hey all,

I am thinking about pursuing a tax llm at NYU/Georgetown next year. I am comfortable with working at a Big 4 after graduation, and even prefer that option to big law. I have a generic liberal arts degree though, and I am concerned that Big 4 firms won't want to interview someone without any accounting experience. So, for all those past Tax LLMs with no accounting experience, how did recruiting go? Also, is there anything I can do to try to improve my chances, such as trying to add additional courses in accounting?

Thanks

wizzy

Re: Tax Llm without accounting degree?

Post by wizzy » Wed May 13, 2020 3:01 pm

jenw33 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Hey all,

I am thinking about pursuing a tax llm at NYU/Georgetown next year. I am comfortable with working at a Big 4 after graduation, and even prefer that option to big law. I have a generic liberal arts degree though, and I am concerned that Big 4 firms won't want to interview someone without any accounting experience. So, for all those past Tax LLMs with no accounting experience, how did recruiting go? Also, is there anything I can do to try to improve my chances, such as trying to add additional courses in accounting?

Thanks
An NYU Tax LLM would make you close to a lock for biglaw + Big 4. Employment stats for the full-time program are in the 80-90% range for biglaw + big 4 with the top 40% of the class typically going biglaw.

Big 4 firms will interview you without accounting experience. They regularly make offers to LLM students who just have a tax background, but it might be helpful to take an Accounting for Lawyers class if your law school offers one (both because some general background in accounting is good to have and because it at least lets you talk about an interest in accounting + tax during interviews if you're targeting Big 4).

A big chunk of the LLM class just did well in their law school tax classes and have an interest in tax without an accounting degree/accounting background.

ES Bubbles

Post by ES Bubbles » Fri May 22, 2020 7:34 am

Same with Georgetown, but higher government placement (e.g. clerkship, IRS, DOJ, Dept of Labor) and lower Biglaw placement (probably 10%-20% either at graduation or after clerkship). You'll hear people say on this and other boards that "you will only get Biglaw if you could before the program." That isn't entirely true (I had some friends with no shot out of law school who got positions), but it is definitely the case for NYC and will depend on grades and circumstances elsewhere.

Don't worry about an accounting class. You'll have to take one as part of the program anyway. As long as the economy isn't totally wrecked by Corona, Big 4 shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't bomb the program. They interview multiple times and the only people I knew struggling for one of those positions either did really poorly or had some unique issues...and even they eventually found good positions.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 22, 2020 9:18 am

ES Bubbles wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:34 am
Same with Georgetown, but higher government placement (e.g. clerkship, IRS, DOJ, Dept of Labor) and lower Biglaw placement (probably 10%-20% either at graduation or after clerkship). You'll hear people say on this and other boards that "you will only get Biglaw if you could before the program." That isn't entirely true (I had some friends with no shot out of law school who got positions), but it is definitely the case for NYC and will depend on grades and circumstances elsewhere.

Don't worry about an accounting class. You'll have to take one as part of the program anyway. As long as the economy isn't totally wrecked by Corona, Big 4 shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't bomb the program. They interview multiple times and the only people I knew struggling for one of those positions either did really poorly or had some unique issues...and even they eventually found good positions.
Preserving for OP.