Litigators 10+ years

Underscored

Litigators 10+ years

Post by Underscored » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi all (and Merry Christmas/Happy holidays!),

I'm just wondering if any users here started in litigation and have been at it for long enough to be 10+ years or so out. If so, what are you doing/what are your classmates doing? Are you happy?

Lots of litigation exit ops seem unappealing -- similar but less sophisticated grinds for less money at smaller firms, AUSA life for a massive paycut, or nebulous in-house or government opportunities that seem hard to figure out.
How did you manage the transition out of biglaw? Assuming one is not comfortable leaving law entirely, are there things you wished you knew as a mid-level when thinking about what's next?

(If it matters, I'm entering fifth year).

-__________________-

Re: Litigators 10+ years

Post by -__________________- » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:01 pm

no one survives past year 8 sorry

lolwat

Re: Litigators 10+ years

Post by lolwat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:04 am

Fuck. I'm getting close to 10.

Not there yet though.

No idea what my classmates are doing. I haven't kept up with many of them, but from my LinkedIn feed it looks like most of them are either partners or senior/of counsel at firms (if litigation) or in-house somewhere (if they started out as corporate).

I'm quite happy with what I'm doing, but I'm at a boutique firm. Things could be (a lot) worse, and I'm not sure how they can be significantly better, at least for what I'm doing.

Litigation exit options are generally lame. But don't discount smaller firms. Some aren't really less sophisticated but do offer greater flexibility.

I'd say now is a good time to start looking at getting out if that's what you want to do. I've talked to a few recruiters here and there just to get a feel for things and it generally just gets harder the farther out you are. Occasionally you'll see some firm hiring senior level associates, or some in-house litigation opportunity that actually kind of looks cool (and not just all the bullshit in-house insurance company trial lawyer opportunities). I think Facebook is hiring an AGC-level director of litigation or some such right now for example. Netflix had some opening up for a 10+ year litigator with content litigation experience awhile ago that I assume filled as it's no longer open.