Timeline to waive into DC

DC Lateral

Timeline to waive into DC

Post by DC Lateral » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 am

I'm in the process of waiving into the DC bar by motion (based on my MBE/MPRE score in my previous jurisdiction).

I received a notification today from DC that my application has been "accepted for completeness." It says they are waiting on my background check to be completed by NCBE.

Does anyone know how long NCBE's C&F process will take? I don't remember the timeline when I did it after law school, and then wondering how fast DC's process will move once NCBE completes its portion.

Any anecdotes welcome!

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: Timeline to waive into DC

Post by ymmv » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 am

DC took months and months to clear mine long after my C&F had completed. Close to a year from my initial application before I was admitted, all said and done. It was pretty similar for most folks in my class who waived in.

I think NCBE’s C&F took around 3-4 months for me before that, but I don’t really remember.

OP1

Post by OP1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 am

ymmv wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 am
DC took months and months to clear mine long after my C&F had completed. Close to a year from my initial application before I was admitted, all said and done. It was pretty similar for most folks in my class who waived in.

I think NCBE’s C&F took around 3-4 months for me before that, but I don’t really remember.
Do you remember when your application was marked as "accepted for completeness" by DC?

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:42 am

OP1 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 am
ymmv wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 am

Do you remember when your application was marked as "accepted for completeness" by DC?
I don't, sorry. And it doesn't look like the bar website still has that info available to me.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:10 pm

Here was my general timeline - keep in mind that this was for waiving in from a UBE state, and that non-UBE jurisdictions will be in a different pile so could be processed at a different pace.

June 2018 - submitted NCBE C&F
July 2018 - submitted DC Bar app
October 2018 - NCBE C&F is completed and is sent to DC
November 2018 - Radio silence from DC Bar so I email a person on the admissions committee asking if they received my C&F, I get a response saying they have
March 2019 - Email the standard coa@dcappeals.gov email to ask what the status is (since my application hasn't even been marked as complete yet), get a canned response back
April 2019 - Email coa email to ask again what the status is (still not marked as complete), get a canned response back
May 2019 - I email an individual person with the admissions committee and ask what the status is (still not marked as complete), this person looks at my application and certifies it the same day

I think it would have taken mine even longer to be processed if I hadn't gotten the email address of an individual person on the admissions committee (somehow Nebby had it). Feel free to PM me down the line if you want me to pass that email address on when NCBE sends your file over to DC.