Law Clerk at Two Jobs at Once?

LawSSS2

Re: Law Clerk at Two Jobs at Once?

Post by LawSSS2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Oh honestly, I just didn't want them to think I was taking on too much or something. I'm not concerned they'll say no.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:02 pm

sounds like a bad reason not to cover your ass

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:24 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:02 pm
sounds like a bad reason not to cover your ass
in retrospect, i agree...

Danger Zone

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:36 pm

So in effect you’re perfectly fine with being unethical so long as you’re making as much money as possible? You could have saved everyone a lot of time up front if you just admitted you didn’t care about professional responsibility.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:57 pm

That's fine if you want to try to do both jobs at once, but you ABSOLUTELY need to disclose it to both employers.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:57 pm
That's fine if you want to try to do both jobs at once, but you ABSOLUTELY need to disclose it to both employers.
+1

Also, you might not really care about the morality of what you're trying to do, but if you get caught, you're going to be in serious trouble. You could get fired, and then you'd probably have C&F issues for the bar (where you have to disclose employment and reason for leaving each job--getting fired for not disclosing conflicts is going to be a problem). It's really not worth the risk of getting caught, even if the risk is, as you seem to think, fairly small.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:57 pm
AND you would need to provide live updates to each firm on matters/clients you're working on at the other place.

Conflicts is no joke, firms take it extremely seriously. I've gotten messages that I've been conflicted out of shit that I had no idea could even be remotely connected to some other random stuff I worked on a couple of years ago.

J Socks

Post by J Socks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 am

LawSSS2 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 pm
Yeah, I guess I am big 'ole risk taker what I can say. I like to live life on the edge. the fast-track. If there's isn't a risk to my future, is it really worth the salary? that's my motto.
Not the attitude of someone that's going to last long in Biglaw where partners will be incredibly pissed if you take any risks yourself as a junior....jus tso you can prepare financially since it seems like handling money is an issue.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 am

You seem very defensive about your finances, OP. You're right that we don't know your situation. But the takeaway here shouldn't be "they don't know so they're wrong". Rather, we are telling you that, absent truly extreme circumstances of financial need, this isn't even remotely worth doing, especially with respect to conflicts, ethics, and time. The people on this thread aren't other law students opining on this: we're lawyers, some of whom are not K-JD and understand that life can be complicated and not easily solvable with a student loan. Even with that in mind, this isn't worth the mountain of headaches it could be.

Also, one of my law school classmates got completely conflicted out of her biglaw summer associate gig based on her 1L summer work with a different, smaller firm. It's not common but it is a real risk and it does happen.

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Thank you guys for the (mostly) constructive input. Actually it was very helpful to hear specific stories, because it gives context to the conflict issues that might surprisingly arise. All I can do is take that advice and apply it to my own circumstances and make a reasoned decision in light of my own situation, finances and the possible risk. I think there is a very very low chance of conflict with my future job and between the two positions, but of course I will disclose.