jobless 3L at T14

Anonymous19

jobless 3L at T14

Post by Anonymous19 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:08 pm

3.1 gpa likely bottom 25%. Didnt get a 2l summer job, had to work with a family member who is a solo practitioner. I've continued to apply to jobs on my schools job board and linkedin but havent had any interviews since spring. Ive applied to firms, government and JD advantage. I've started to lose hope and wish I didnt come to law school. I will have close to 200k in debt.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: jobless 3L at T14

Post by ymmv » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:18 pm

I’m sorry to hear that, anon. I wish I knew what to tell you except keep applying. Have you had someone look over your resume and cover letter templates to see if there’s something to be improved there? I assume you’ve already talked to your school’s employment folks. At some point it may be time to cut bait and consider another field to apply in, despite the debt, but for now you still have some time throughout 3L to find something.

The fact that you haven’t even been getting to the interview stage suggests to me there really is something that needs to be addressed with your resume, though if none of the on-campus interviews led to anything you may also need to work with someone on practicing those, if you haven’t already.

Are you applying broadly all over the country as opposed to focusing on just one market or geographic area? If you haven’t broadened your search nationally it’s time to do so, and to look for other sources of job listings besides your school’s.

Again, I’m sorry, that’s a nerve-wracking situation to be in. Just know that it won’t be the end of the world if you don’t ultimately find something in law, even if it feels like it at first.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm

+1 to YMMV's advice and also keep in mind that you've got 2 semesters worth of grades to boost that GPA.

October 3L year is not the end of the world.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Massmail, network, and be SUPER OPEN to working literally anywhere. it sucks because you'd rather not be in this situation and it takes a lot of effort to actually find the energy to keep job hunting, but you kinda just have to do it.

And yes, have someone look over your resume and cover letter. If your GPA is on there, take it off.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Apply (and be willing to work) everywhere. If you're looking at government, look outside of big cities since those jobs will be particularly competitive.