Is this site dead?

app

Re: Is this site dead?

Post by app » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:36 pm

may be they can, but why would they if users find content useful. i've seen posts linking other sites there, so it's not like it's a rule that you can't post a link to LSL if it's reasonable.
from what i see as 0L, there's lot more reasonable here than reddit. i think a lot of those users haven't even seen the knowledge compilation here, esp for lsat.

Nony

Post by Nony » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm

I took a look at the reddit community/page/whatever - they link to a variety of resources, but they don't link to TLS or to here. They may not want to promote other discussion forums, and would rather keep discussion on their site.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:38 pm

The head mod of /r/lawschooladmissions is one "LSAT_Blog", who run their own little shop at http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/. They're definitely interested in 1) curating their own marketing environment and 2) getting as many views/clicks as possible, which respectively explains why 1) they don't link to outside forums and 2) moderation tolerates high-traffic shitposts.

app

Post by app » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 pm

they won't proactively link but they cant' filter all posts so if someone posts within a thread a links that can pick up users who find it useful. i do recall doing this and i don't think it was removed.

the quality of posts there is p poor, since the style of the site lends to shorter posts where no one engages or debates a topic much. it's very superficial. i became a regular at precursor to lsl mainly bc then even strong on topics contributors would engage in opposing views and discussions.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:52 pm

There is a tension between directing site traffic to other sites and promoting site traffic generally that isn't easily reconciled, but in the case of reddit v. other law school forum, reddit has the upper hand. It's not that the discourse is better, more substantive, or more helpful, it's that the traffic is way more substantial to the parent site, and probably more importantly, the ability to select the quality of any given post or advice free from relative objectivity. The post encouraging a user to follow their dreams is just going to be more popular than the post outlining why the value proposition of attending one school over another for various reasons. It's not because that post is more helpful, but it's because upvoting is easier and more positive than providing a nuanced reason for the opinion you personally hold.

Ideally LSL could be a place where all stages of a legal career could be discussed and respected in a nuanced and intellectual way, but that requires the traffic of people looking for and willing to hear respectful dissent when it happens. The strength of the community and how it fosters dissent is critical to those considering using that forum or platform. I'm not saying LSL is necessarily failing in that, but the traffic asking germane questions of on-topic content has dried up, and as such, the discussion just isn't being had to the degree we'd all prefer.

Despite our guerrilla efforts to establish a presence in the incredibly niche area of the internet saved for neurotic law school applicants, students, and graduates, the supply of users dried up more than we would've liked. I don't think a second effort to infiltrate reddit for impressions at this point will be effective, but what we can still do is encourage on-topic content and hopefully remain relevant in the indexed search realm. TLS continues to acknowledge that the relative mass exodus when LSL was created resulted in a vacuum of content because the content creators tried to move their content to LSL while deleting it on TLS. That has only negatively impacted TLS in that they still field questions about it and their resultant policies, but it nonetheless hurt TLS when LSL formed. They are getting better/more on-topic content, but that doesn't mean they're actually creating valuable content at this point.

-__________________-

Post by -__________________- » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:16 am

I just assumed all the posting happened in the locked law grad forum

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 am

I'm still of the opinion that collapsing some of the subforums would help prime the pump. There's no need to quarantine "Chance Me" threads when we only get a few of those a week. Silos make the site look qualitatively more deserted and also mean that each thread gets less attention.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21 pm

icechicken wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 am
I'm still of the opinion that collapsing some of the subforums would help prime the pump. There's no need to quarantine "Chance Me" threads when we only get a few of those a week. Silos make the site look qualitatively more deserted and also mean that each thread gets less attention.
This is a good idea. These categories were from an era of much higher traffic. Isolating everything just makes it look less active and confuses users on where they should post their questions.

app

Post by app » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:20 pm

there was a post earlier that described a way to make anon posting and no effort being underway to make it easier, but it wasn't clear to me why making it a single click experience a big issue that no one could resolve. that's one item that imo could help activity here.

-__________________-

Post by -__________________- » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 pm

just post whatever you want

no one's going to see it because the site is dead

Pleasy E

Post by Pleasy E » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 am

app wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:20 pm
there was a post earlier that described a way to make anon posting and no effort being underway to make it easier, but it wasn't clear to me why making it a single click experience a big issue that no one could resolve. that's one item that imo could help activity here.
There is an effort underway, but it’s not a feature that just comes with the site. It requires work from our admins who are real people with real jobs and not a lot of free time. It truly is on the list of things to do.

app

Post by app » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:14 pm

-__________________- wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 pm
just post whatever you want

no one's going to see it because the site is dead
that may be the case. i mean trying to make a fix for anon shouldn't take long if someone's working on it. if no one's working on it then clearly it's not going to happen no matter what anyone says.

SmittyWerben

Post by SmittyWerben » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:13 am

I exclusively use xoxohth.com for all my law admission needs.

But for real tho, y’all should collapse these silly sub-topics ASAP, this forum needs like 3 sub-topics, MAX.