Partners without enough work

NoBonus

Partners without enough work

Post by NoBonus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Jr. associate in a smaller office (but still Cravath scale) of a large firm (v50).

Had a decently busy year for the first 9 months or so, was on pace for around 1900-2000 (so still not as busy as I'd like to be to stay comfortable), and now I've had a couple of slow months in a row (sub 100 hours). Everyone in the office in my group has been about this slow. Reviews have generally been pretty good, and I get some work from other offices now that I've started to get referred to other partners by those that have been happy with my work.

It seems like the partners in my office just don't have enough work to keep me busy (read: bonus eligible) because my hours were also below the firm target last year. This year a good chunk of my hours still came from partners in other offices.

Will this issue start to go away as I get more senior and can handle more complicated tasks, or should I start looking for another job? I'm worried about career growth in addition to the added benefit of having enough work to get a market bonus.

Corporate if that makes a big difference.

lolwat

Re: Partners without enough work

Post by lolwat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:32 pm

This sounds pretty concerning to me since it's happened two years now. Cycles happen (and I think it happens a lot more in corporate) but it's probably not a great sign if your entire office is slow for two years. Biglaw firms don't really care why you're slow, they just care if you hit your hours, and it looks like the work the partners are bringing in your office isn't enough for that to happen.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Re: Partners without enough work

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Keep taking the work from other offices, but you should start looking.