Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Student Loans: Payment Options and Numbers

ballinoutacontro

Re: Student Loans: Payment Options and Numbers

Post by ballinoutacontro » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:07 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:44 pm
Ahem FRB* could get you down to under 3% but not if you don't live in the right area.

Realistically you'd be looking at like 4.5-5% with the other banks (Darien Rowayton, SoFi, etc.) so up to you whether that's worth it or not for losing the protections of federal student loans.
Johannes wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:12 pm
I would never pay my loans before absolutely necessary if I was considering entrepreneurship. One particular reason is that the loan forgiveness tax bomb is pegged to your total liabilities so if you have outstanding business debt in a partnership that should all flow through and count to minimize your tax bomb.
Thx guys. And thx for the rate info, appreciated.

I totally appreciate the advantages of repaye. I've been a champion of it since it was created to pretty much anyone that wants to know. If the best I could get is really around the 4-5% range, that's def not enough savings to give up the massive repaye benefits.

ballinoutacontro

Post by ballinoutacontro » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:32 am

Noticed this post below mine..
AOT wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:46 am
Hard to follow all that knowing nothing about LRAPs and such, and I'm sure the above advice is great.. Only posting to add that, seriously, just from a straight up pure numbers perspective....that is soooooo absolutely nothing to worry about, especially if you can honestly live off $20k.

if I'm understanding right, you're gonna finish with $20k debt? Debt might be scary, but frfrfr....

Even aside from any of the special plans like REPAYE and you school's LRAP.......On the standard 10-year repayment plan, that's payments of like $280/month. If you went to the 20 year payment plan, that's like $190/month. Plus, at that income level, if you enrolled in REPAYE (if there aren't even better options for you), your minimum payments should be $0 - literally. Currently, if you're single in the US, if your AGI is under $18,090, you have literally no minimum payment on REPAYE, and on top of that the govt pays half your unpaid interest. Under current tax laws you can probably hit an $18k AGI with literally like double that in gross income. The standard deduction alone under the new Trump tax plan is $12k. Plus all the other random deductions and credits you'll get. Gives you plenty of room to still pay very little to nothing, if you so choose, even if your income about doubles to $40k.

And that's all basically worst case scenario in which you you didn't have $20k already banked. In reality, if you did invest your $20k, it should roughly keep pace with your $20k debt, at worst. Historically, your $20k will be around double your student loan debt balance in 8-10 years or so.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 am

(It’s not clear here, but in another thread she makes clear it’s not $20k total debt - it’s $100k+ - the idea is that making the $20k payment now would increase the amount her school will cover under its LRAP, and so will lower the amount that she’s going to be personally required to pay, which isn’t actually her entire loan payment bc LRAP will still cover most but not all of it.)

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am

Plz ignore if covered, but I thought that AOT's law school's required all LRAP participants (with rare exception) to be on PAYE and based LRAP payments PAYE.

PAYE on $40k is $183/month. With the school covering 80%, that's $36/month out of pocket.

AOT

Post by AOT » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Nony wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 am
(It’s not clear here, but in another thread she makes clear it’s not $20k total debt - it’s $100k+ - the idea is that making the $20k payment now would increase the amount her school will cover under its LRAP, and so will lower the amount that she’s going to be personally required to pay, which isn’t actually her entire loan payment bc LRAP will still cover most but not all of it.)
Yeah this is correct.

Nebby I'm not on the normal LRAP, so I was just going to be on a 10 year schedule. BUT after double checking I'm pretty sure now that I can go on PAYE. I have a call scheduled with my school tomorrow to figure out the details.

riot

Post by riot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm

As a PSLF truther I wonder if it makes more sense to stay in ten year plan and take the law school for all the money it will give you and actually have your loan balance decline

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 pm

riot wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm
As a PSLF truther I wonder if it makes more sense to stay in ten year plan and take the law school for all the money it will give you and actually have your loan balance decline
Don't tell Nebby this or he won't let us get married so that CLS will keep paying off his loans for him!!!

JenDarby

Post by JenDarby » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm

riot wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm
these schools with excellent lrap programs seem to pay the 10 year amount even if you are on PAYE (at least CLS)

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Yeah my understanding of lrap was you sign up for PAYE but then over pay according to your lrap received monthly allowance which is equivalent/pegged to the 10 year repayment.

No difference in that case but you get some government benefits under PAYE. So I think it’s actually slightly beneficial to go the re/PAYE route

In other words you’re making the 10 year repayment amount but on the PAYE/pslf plan still.

Also, I know nothing about lrap but that’s how it’s read to me based on what others have done.

riot

Post by riot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Oh my law school only pays your PAYE payment