Prosecutor and judicial law clerk at same time

Story

Prosecutor and judicial law clerk at same time

Post by Story » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:56 pm

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/te ... ial-judge/

I can’t believe this prosecutor did this. He served as a judicial law clerk to the trial judge on a criminal case that the prosecutor was working on. Based on the headline, I thought this was going to be just a law clerk who forgot to recuse himself on a case he worked on a long time ago. Nope—much more egregious.

“ It was even revealed that Petty had drafted an order for the court denying one of Young’s earliest appeals while drafting the state’s pleading in opposition to the appeal, essentially handing himself a victory in the case.”

pancakes3

Re: Prosecutor and judicial law clerk at same time

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:01 pm

wtf on so many levels

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:03 pm

“I don’t feel internally conflicted about this, so it must not be a conflict of interest”

Jake

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:03 am

This took from 2003 to see light. Most just never do. Good to see that the Defendant didn't literally due due to it though. The words "harmless error" are almost certain to come up at the retrial if they retrial, but it's looking like they might chose not to do so. (Edited to reflect new thoughts after doing more research into case and parties).
Last edited by Jake on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jake

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:15 am

I looked up his Avvo. "Discharge in lieu of discipline". A rather sweet deal. Kind of like that jail warden who literally killed 9 inmates by neglect and got yelled at real mean by a Judge and 9 months in jail.
. One month for each life. Totally equal to what the average Joe would get for 9 bodies I am sure. Feels like the way that he quit will still leave windows open for a decent career of some kind (even if not a lawyer) Maybe a Parole Officer ? Not even joking. If this guy quit I bet that it wasn't just over this, I bet they had other skeletons dug up that they threatened to publish if he fought it and ignore if he quit . The AG likely also privately agreed not to look into any criminal charges in exchange for it too.
Last edited by Jake on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.