SCOTUS and Other Big Cases

MKC

Re: SCOTUS and Other Big Cases

Post by MKC » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:21 pm

I assume this is where someone is supposed to say don't be a moron, slippery slopes are for idiots.

stego

Re: SCOTUS and Other Big Cases

Post by stego » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:28 am

MKC wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm
stego wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:00 pm
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... anzin-rfra

I haven’t read anything else about this case, but it sounds like the only religious liberty at issue here is Tanvir’s right to be Muslim without becoming a government informant against other Muslims. Seems pretty distinguishable from the Christian discrimination cases
It's not about the particular RFRA violation. It's about whether you can sue government officials for money damages under the RFRA. Right now you can't. If Tanvir wins, you can, which potentially means that instead of Hobby Lobby and Masterpiece Cake Shop getting an order from the court saying the government can't do stuff, they get to recover money damages from government officials personally.
Ok. So I think he should win whereas the Christian discriminator should probably lose on the merits, but I get that being able to sue at all is a big deal.

I wonder why he’s not just suing on 1983 for 1st Amendment violations, can you not do that or something?