Post by salome » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 pm

don't ask me anything, I've only been doing this for four months

semperlegal

Re: ERISA/employee benefits

Post by semperlegal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 pm

salome wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 pm
I've been doing it for 28 and I'm starting suspect no one knows anything.

salome

Post by salome » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:06 am

semperlegal wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 pm
salome wrote:
I've been doing it for 28 and I'm starting suspect no one knows anything.
what do you do?

semperlegal

Post by semperlegal » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 pm

A mix of executive comp, qualified plan work, and [vomit] deal work.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Former ERISA (exec compensation, qualified and unqualified plan work). In-House now; did deal work in between.

kellyfrost

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:18 am

salome wrote:
Quick question, how did you end up in this practice group and why? Sounds miserable!

Nony

Post by Nony » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 am

I actually thought it sounded kind of interesting in my employment law class (also the prof said that if you got to know anything about ERISA you’d always have a job since everyone else hates it/doesn’t understand it at all).

Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Is this an area with decent in-house exit opps?

presh

Post by presh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Have started working on some ERISA tax issues at work. I like it so far!

Sinoper

Post by Sinoper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:07 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm
Former ERISA (exec compensation, qualified and unqualified plan work). In-House now; did deal work in between.
I would love to hear more about what deal work amounts to in an EBEC practice. I took an EBEC class at my school, loved it, and got the best grade in the class. In the next couple weeks, I have to submit a practice group preference sheet to my firm, and I'm highly considering putting EBEC as #1. The only hesitation I have is hearing that at some firms the practice groups do a lot of assistance on deal work. What would that exactly mean for an EBEC associate?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 am

Sinoper wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:07 am
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm
I would love to hear more about what deal work amounts to in an EBEC practice. I took an EBEC class at my school, loved it, and got the best grade in the class. In the next couple weeks, I have to submit a practice group preference sheet to my firm, and I'm highly considering putting EBEC as #1. The only hesitation I have is hearing that at some firms the practice groups do a lot of assistance on deal work. What would that exactly mean for an EBEC associate?
You function as an ancillary/support group if you do ERISA/tax work in biglaw and people place increasingly ridiculous demands on your time (e.g. sending you a PPM at midnight asking for comments by the next morning without providing adequate detail on the deal structure, certificates being issues, etc.). I leveraged the tax side of my practice and transitioned into finance work where I had a bit more control over my schedule.

Sinoper

Post by Sinoper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:15 am

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 am

You function as an ancillary/support group if you do ERISA/tax work in biglaw and people place increasingly ridiculous demands on your time (e.g. sending you a PPM at midnight asking for comments by the next morning without providing adequate detail on the deal structure, certificates being issues, etc.). I leveraged the tax side of my practice and transitioned into finance work where I had a bit more control over my schedule.
Are you doing substantively different work when you're on deals or are you just doing exec comp/plan work on a deal timeline?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:50 am

Sinoper wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:15 am
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 am

Are you doing substantively different work when you're on deals or are you just doing exec comp/plan work on a deal timeline?
Yes. Generally, my work was in plan drafting (SPDs, LTIP, 401(K) plan documents, etc.) and compliance (and occasionally ERISA based litigation). However, when I did deal work my time was heavily tilted toward ensuring that the deals complied with (or didn't run afoul) of ERISA guidelines (e.g. didn't result in an unpermitted termination of an ERISA plan, etc.).

Sinoper

Post by Sinoper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:50 am
Sinoper wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:15 am

Yes. Generally, my work was in plan drafting (SPDs, LTIP, 401(K) plan documents, etc.) and compliance (and occasionally ERISA based litigation). However, when I did deal work my time was heavily tilted toward ensuring that the deals complied with (or didn't run afoul) of ERISA guidelines (e.g. didn't result in an unpermitted termination of an ERISA plan, etc.).
Interesting. To me, personally, that doesn't sound too bad, so I'm hopeful. I'll be attending a firm event soon where all the practice areas give us a presentation and there is some Q&A time following each presentation. Are there any particularly good/important questions that would be important to ask the EBEC group?