Patent / Soft IP

UVA2B

Re: Patent / Soft IP

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Alpha wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 am
Associates now currently fearing for their jobs and bonuses..
Considering most of the last year or so probably was settlement conference-related, I can’t imagine that many associates are still feasting on the bone, but they’re definitely hoping 3-4 years of 3000 hours will buoy them for awhile.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:15 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:08 pm
Alpha wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 am
Associates now currently fearing for their jobs and bonuses..
Considering most of the last year or so probably was settlement conference-related, I can’t imagine that many associates are still feasting on the bone, but they’re definitely hoping 3-4 years of 3000 hours will buoy them for awhile.
There was a trial and verdict in late May on the design patents (coming down from Supreme Court appeal) on damages only, which definitely would have gone up on appeal if they didn't settle.

But yeah, they are definitely hoping the 3-4 years of those hours and getting absorbed into other teams will come through.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:25 pm

Oh right, good point. Luckily I don’t really feel bad for anyone at Quinn or WilmerHale on this.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:44 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:25 pm
Oh right, good point. Luckily I don’t really feel bad for anyone at Quinn or WilmerHale on this.
Yeah, me either.

patentpros

Post by patentpros » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Can anyone in patent pros tell me whether being allotted 6 hours per office action is normal/near normal/etc? As a young 3rd year right now, "innovative" lower ish Vault firm (I know that's meaningless -- primarily to signal it's not one of the places regarded as a patent sweatshop/mill).

We have hard budgets on the majority of our work, especially OAs, and I'm allotted roughly 6 hours per OA, on 95% of OAs. (I.e., 6 hours times my billing rate, with the remainder being allotted to the partner or whoever signs off on it). This includes 100% of the time spent: proposing strategy to partner, emails to inhouse atty/inventor if necessary (but rarely contact the inventor), etc. Roughly 1 hour (maybe like 1.3) or so extra to do an interview.

High tech space, if that matters (communications, general EE things, DSP, satellites, that sorta stuff).

Is this Normal? Basically me and my similarly experienced colleagues are finding ourselves way behind this expectation. Sure, some very easy ones I can meet 6 hours, but then a pain in the ass 6-reference 103, 101, 112 bullshit rejection one comes along..... Or, even better, article 34 demands, where the european examiner makes 4 independent novelty/IS rejections.

Thx.

patentpros

Post by patentpros » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:23 pm

same poster as above, didnt realize I accidentally emphasized "patent" instead of "regarded," lol. Didn't mean to imply we are a sweatshop in other areas. But concerned that it may feel like a sweatshop even if it isn't regarded as one on the outside. (amlaw 200 firm actually known for good QoL...) But maybe I really just need to get faster. =\

anonnnny

Post by anonnnny » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:48 pm

What is your billing rate? $3,000 - 5,000 is probably normal for an OA response, so if you are $500+ then its probably normal. I assume you are not doing pharmaceutical work or anything that people truly expect will be litigated. In any case, I would bill the time I actually spend and leave it to the partner to write it off if he thinks its necessary. If you get caught in a rejection with 20 references that requires a lot of time, then talk to partner, bill it, and let partner write it off.

FordTough

Post by FordTough » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Bump.

https://www.law360.com/ip/articles/1083 ... s-post-sas

Thoughts? I am starting to see similar estoppel issues disguised as "evidence" issues at district court.

patentmidlvl

Post by patentmidlvl » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:20 am

Any other patent pros ppl here?

Note, in general wondering about BigLaw/patent law boutique kinda places paying at/near market, in particular, versus other kinda of patent practices that sometimes seem to have very different practices in terms of workflow and such

I'm a younger mid level, close to 4 yrs now in total, and wondering just how long ppl at most other firms tend to keep doing all the original drafting on your partners' clients' applications. Honestly the pure volume of originally written pages (in very high tech space, nottttt easy slogging) we need to churn out is reallllllllllllllllly starting to drag on me, and with my billable rate now, honestly doing all of it myself is getting to the point of being impossible to fit in a budget.

I have occasionally had a VERY young atty or agent write under me, but that's typically been more as a one-off "training" sort of capacity, rather than more of the "supervisory/managing" capacity, where I can confidently review everything they did without rewriting a substantial amount.

I get pretty much unanimous positive feedback on the quality of my work product, but FUCK, idk how I can a) keep up with this, and b) even meet a budget on any but the easier of applications

So, JW, do people around my year tend to have 1st years or young agents doing the first draft yet? Or is that just wishful thinking at most firms at this point.

FWIW, this is primarily directed to our largest client who we do a TON of applications for on relatively discounted budgets. The smaller clients I work with are not nearly as draining on me TBH. I suppose another alternative might be that working for the partner on this clients' applications may be a large factor in the exhaustion this is causing me (and, frankly, many/most ppl in my immediate group).

Thanks for any comments

patentmidlvl

Post by patentmidlvl » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:20 pm

patentmidlvl wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:20 am
Any other patent pros ppl here?

I am the above person. Just a quick addition, I've written just about 100 applications to date. No idea if that would be considered a lot or little at this point..

FordTough

Post by FordTough » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm

feel free to PM me. I do mostly Lit but I'm split 70/30 between Lit and Pros.