Post_Alone

Re: Criminal Defense

Post by Post_Alone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:27 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:24 pm
Post_Alone wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:38 am
Solo criminal defense here. AMA.
Could open a bail bond company as entity separate from your firm (and not run afoul of ethical rules)? If you could, have you considered it? Why or why not?

Do you work in any other practice areas or 100% criminal defense?

What is the most common charge you defend against?

Have you ever considered putting your firm name and contact information on drink coaster and then giving them to local bars to use as a form of marketing your DUI defense practice?
1. That would certainly run afoul of ethical rules. As a bondsman I would want higher surety bonds set but as their attorney I would want lower. That's the first problem that obviously comes to mind.

2. I only really like criminal work so I ask for ridiculous retainers in cases involving other practice areas. If they pay then sure I'll do it.

3. Domestic abuse and gun crimes are probably most common for my practice but this is only because I have a state public defender contract that gets me court appointed cases but the real high volume / low level crimes go to the actual state pd.

4. I'm overwhelmed by my current caseload so I don't need to advertise or market other than having a website. I find attorney advertising really distasteful and cringe.

Sorry for the late responses.

Post_Alone

Re: Criminal Defense

Post by Post_Alone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Kümmel wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:12 am
Post_Alone wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:38 am
Solo criminal defense here. AMA.
PD here. The one thing I really don't get is how you come up with fee structure. Flat/hourly. How you decide what is worth what
I have them sign a fee agreement that has an initial retainer that I think will get them through the entire case but warn that depending on how their case develops I may end up asking for more. I send them periodic invoices so they can see how their retainer is being spent and then a letter describing why I need more money if they start to run out. If they refuse to pay more I just file a withdrawal motion but try to do so selectively and work with all my clients financially just to protect my own reputation re: fees.