Let's talk about means and curves

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Stranger

Let's talk about means and curves

Post by Stranger » Fri May 17, 2019 12:17 pm

So, there's a lot of reference made to the curved nature of law school classes, but before I went, I really didn't understand exactly how it would work (I had visions of a normal distribution around either a B or C). Some schools, I reckon, do a forced distribution. Some schools (my own included) don't.

Rather than a curve, we have a mandatory mean (with a small allowable variation) of 3.3 (for all 1L classes, upper level classes not based on an exam have a 3.5, and smaller upper level classes have a larger allowed variation). F's don't get counted into the mean. If you were to use a normal distribution around this mandatory mean, you'd wind up with something like this:
A: 6%
A-: 24%
B+: 38%
B: 24%
B-: 6%
(Yes, I'm aware that leaves 2% unaccounted for, but you could drop those pretty much in any grade band and still hit the mean with that distribution.)

But a professor doesn't have to turn in that distribution. An entire class being awarded B+ would meet the mandatory mean's requirements (and supposedly, it's happened). A professor could also choose a bimodal distribution, like this:
A: 30%
A-: 15%
B+: 10%
B: 15%
B-: 30%

There's also the maxim that "every C means two A's" - in order to hit the mean, a single person scoring four steps below the mean indicates that other students have to score four steps above collectively - four A-'s, an A and two A-'s, or two A's. To demonstrate this, let's imagine how the normal distribution would deform if you moved 5% from B+ to C (distributing half the opportunities as bumps from B+ to A and half as B to A-):
A: 11%
A-: 29%
B+: 28%
B-: 19%
B: 6%
C+: 0%
C: 5%

No one wants that C, but the gentler distribution it allows sure would be nice to get dropped into as one of the remaining 95%. The effect of a C is also quite pronounced if we let it deform the bimodal distribution:
A: 30%
A-: 15%
B+: 15%
B: 15%
B-: 20%
C+: 0%
C: 5%

Of course, the underlying reality here is that distributions with a large number of A's also mean that the odds of getting the mean or better shrink. The all-B+ scenario let everyone hit the mean but no-one got an A. The normal distribution has 68% of students at or above mean, but only 6% at A. The bimodal distribution has 30% A's, but only 55% at or above mean. The deformation of the normal distribution kept the high percentage at or above mean, but allowed 11% to get A's. And the deformation of the bimodal distribution got 60% at or above mean while retaining the 30% A's.

Real distributions are more granular than this, but it's illustrative of how the mean (and a curve) work. One more thing that I never thought to look for during my law school application cycle but should have, a table of law school means/medians/curves, has been collected by our good friends over at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... GPA_curves

Hope this helps.