UIllinois or UConn?

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
puppies2323

UIllinois or UConn?

Post by puppies2323 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:31 am

I need to decide today whether to attend University of Illinois Urbana Champaign or the University of Connecticut.

I have been going back and forth every minute. I have 75% scholarships to both. UConn would be cheaper because I could live at home but I am afraid I'm selling myself short.

I am interested in regulatory/enviro law and could see myself working in a mid-large law firm and then going into the govt. The one thing stopping me from committing to UConn is that I do NOT want to work in Hartford after graduation. I need to work in a city (NYC, Boston, D.C.), and I know I have a much better chance at that at Illinois.

Please throw in your opinion! I have to call UConn back by 3pm today.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Re: UIllinois or UConn?

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Mon May 13, 2019 11:39 am

What's your total cost of attendance for each school?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 13, 2019 11:48 am

Unless Chicago isn’t included in that list of large cities you’d want to live, and you’d be comfortable missing out on mid-large law firms potentially, UIUC is the much better option (assuming the above question about COA isn’t prohibitive at both, which I doubt it would be at 75% tuition off).

Also, what are your GPA/LSAT, and why these two schools? Did you apply to others that you just didn’t include here?

puppies2323

Post by puppies2323 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 am

Cost is $8,500 per year to UConn and $13,000 to Illinois. Housing at Illinois would likely add another $8,000 a year to the estimated cost. However, I would likely be <$80,000 in debt from either school. Also, I would probably make more $ in Chicago than in CT.

What do you think?

puppies2323

Post by puppies2323 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:50 am

UVA2B wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:48 am
Unless Chicago isn’t included in that list of large cities you’d want to live, and you’d be comfortable missing out on mid-large law firms potentially, UIUC is the much better option (assuming the above question about COA isn’t prohibitive at both, which I doubt it would be at 75% tuition off).

Also, what are your GPA/LSAT, and why these two schools? Did you apply to others that you just didn’t include here?
I applied to others but these are the 2 best (financially/rank) options that I have.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Mon May 13, 2019 11:57 am

puppies2323 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 am
Cost is $8,500 per year to UConn and $13,000 to Illinois. Housing at Illinois would likely add another $8,000 a year to the estimated cost. However, I would likely be <$80,000 in debt from either school. Also, I would probably make more $ in Chicago than in CT.

What do you think?
Are these already factoring in other living expenses? Like, eating, transportation? If tuition per year at Illinois is $13k and living expenses are $15-20k, that's about $100k for Illinois total.

I'd still vote UIUC I guess. UConn doesn't make a whole lot of sense for your goals, at least to me.

puppies2323

Post by puppies2323 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Thank you for your input! I am factoring that in but housing is cheap in IL and I have access to interest free loans/free transportation costs

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 pm

If you're forcing yourself to choose between these two schools, UIUC. But I find myself wondering why retake/reapply isn't on the table. Illinois is a fine school, and has good job placement for its ranking, but given that these options don't reflect a super splitter strategy, I'm guessing you're someone who still has the potential to score higher on the LSAT. We don't known your numbers, or where you have ties, but this just seems like an oddball application strategy with some mediocre numbers resulted in a choice between two schools that typically shouldn't be compared directly.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Mon May 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Yeah, +1 to stranger. I feel like this decision is being made under time pressure that wouldn't have been necessary if there were discussion about your application strategy earlier.

If you're not wild about your options, go ahead and put a deposit down if it makes you feel better, but let's discuss what you're actually hoping to achieve, your stats, how your cycle went, etc.

dcc617

Post by dcc617 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:03 pm

People on here are always skeptical that the applicant knows what they're doing when they're considering non T14s that place into totally different markets.

Law school isn't undergrad. For the most part, US News ranking on its own is less important than the schools placement into the market that the person wants.

Illinois places more into Chicago and the Midwest. Connecticut will be New England. It sounds like your family is in New England, so why are you considering Illinois?

What are your career goals? Where do you want to practice? If you want to move out to the Midwest, what sorts of ties, etc do you have?

You seem like an under informed applicant.

ETA What does LST Score reports say about the feasibility of your goals from either school?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:02 am

puppies2323 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:31 am
I am interested in regulatory/enviro law and could see myself working in a mid-large law firm and then going into the govt.
I know you likely already made the call, but how likely is this outcome from the school you chose?

Please bear in mind that you are not required to attend law school this year. If you aren't going to a school that realistically serves your needs, you should hold off going.