WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by par283 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Where do most students live? Are there certain buildings or certain areas popular with law students? Also, how much is rent typically for a one bedroom?

User avatar
Eurapoopin
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Eurapoopin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:14 pm

par283 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 pm
Where do most students live? Are there certain buildings or certain areas popular with law students? Also, how much is rent typically for a one bedroom?
Loop, CWE most popular. The grove, debalaviere (butchered that spelling), parts of West county, soulard, downtown. People live everywhere. No particular buildings really from what I can tell. Cost depends on neighborhood and condition of building. I'd guess anywhere from 600-1100 with an average somewhere closeish to 800 roughly.

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by par283 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:05 am

What's the 1l class schedule? What classes do you take first semester and second semester? Are there sections for each student?

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waldorf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:24 am

par283 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:05 am
What's the 1l class schedule? What classes do you take first semester and second semester? Are there sections for each student?
Class schedule - really depends. Generally 2-3 days of 3 classes, 2 days with 1-2, and 1 day with 0-1 is what I have seen between my friends and I. I had no classes on Fridays last semester and this semester only have one which is often cancelled on Fridays (due to my professor - not the class as a whole). I like it because it’s a full day I can study without interruption. YMMV, though.

1Ls have one class with just their section and the other two with a “supersection” (your section + another section). 1L courses are contracts, torts, property, civil procedure, criminal law, and constitutional law. Which classes you have each semester varies - they didn’t offer con law fall semester this year, so everyone has it right now, but i don’t know if that is the general rule or simply how it worked out for my class.
Last edited by waldorf on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by par283 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:19 pm

waldorf wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:24 am
par283 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:05 am
What's the 1l class schedule? What classes do you take first semester and second semester? Are there sections for each student?
Class schedule - really depends. Generally 2-3 days of at least 3 classes, 1 day with 1-2, and 1 day with 0-1 is what I have seen between my friends and I. I had no classes on Fridays last semester and this semester only have one which is often cancelled on Fridays (due to my professor - not the class as a whole). I like it because it’s a full day I can study without interruption. YMMV, though.

We have sections for 1L with one class with your section and the other two with a “supersection” (your section + another section). 1L courses are contracts, torts, property, civil procedure, criminal law, and constitutional law. Which classes you have each semester varies - they didn’t offer con law fall semester this year, so everyone has it right now, but i don’t know if that is the general rule or simply how it worked out for my class.
Thanks! Can anyone speak to certain professors that are really good, or those we should be wary of? Sorry y'all, I think I finally decided to commit to WashU so now I have 8 million questions. Thank you to all the current students helping out and answering questions!

Twombly
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Twombly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:13 pm

.
Last edited by Twombly on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceamericano
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Iceamericano » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm

How is wustl for placement in california and abroad? Strongly considering them but I’m worried that I’ll be limited to working in the midwest or maybe new york

Head
Excellence is a habit
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Head » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Daddy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 pm
waldorf wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 pm
IPeeLaw wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 pm
Word of warning to those deciding between WUSTL scholarship vs T14 (a very common position to be in):

If you think you would get higher grades at WUSTL than at a T14, you're wrong. Law school admissions is based on only two factors: LSAT and uGPA. WUSTL's entering LSAT and uGPA medians are not materially different from the lower T14 at all. Regardless of your opinion on whether those two things predict law school success, my point is that the only difference between a majority of WUSTL students and T14 students is something like 0.2 grade points from undergrad, and that difference is utterly meaningless.

Approach your decision as if you'd get the same grades at WUSTL as you would at a T14. Here, you're competing with tons of other students who turned down T14 for a big scholarship at WUSTL.
And just to be clear, particularly if your goals are grade selective (thinking big law, clerkships), median, top third, whatever at a T14 is a way better position to be in than the equivalent at WUSTL.

Despite a year reading TLS, I truly did not realize the difference in opportunities available to students at schools just a few ranks above mine (think lower T14) until I went through the job application process. I don’t want to come off as trashing my school, because I have had a good experience here and things have worked out for me so far.

And yes, I worked very hard. I read the guides. I took practice exams. But as an anecdote, my best friend worked just as hard but had a notoriously difficult professor (think very subjective/hard to know what he wants since he teaches the law in his own way) and despite her putting 100% into that class, she didn’t do well on the final. That one grade took her out of the running for top 10% and put her at median. Another friend of mine took one of her finals with a fever, chills, etc. and pulled a decent grade but it probably wasn’t nearly as well as she could have done. Sometimes you get unlucky and for whatever reason don’t do well on a final despite your best efforts. At a school where the difference between the top 25% or even top third and median is huge, just one grade can seriously alter your job prospects.

I really think if you’re BL or bust, you need to strongly consider how unhappy you’d be if you don’t get it before committing to WUSTL because you just can’t assume you’ll be in the top 10% or top 25% or whatever as long as you put the work in.

Damn.

Wellp, I'm withdrawing.
LMAO

BearCat
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by BearCat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:15 pm

I mean now that wustl’s biglaw + fed clerk is 49%, and 45% last year, maybe it is a lot easier to get biglaw. I don’t pry much into my classmates grades/outcomes so I don’t have any anecdata on how median students fare, but the stats are real nice.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waldorf » Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm

Yeah, I think it's important to keep in mind though that some of that number are those who get a diversity boost, those who network their asses off and get really lucky, and those with connections. I don't think it correlates to median and above = big law. Further, if you're targeting a specific market, that makes it more difficult. If you're willing to go anywhere for biglaw then you have a better shot from median or slightly above at landing it. If you're X city or bust, you probably want to have higher grades to go into OCI comfortably.

Anyway, didn't mean to abandon but I had finals. Now that I'm part of the real world again I am happy to answer any qs.

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by DaydreamNation » Sat May 05, 2018 12:11 am

waldorf wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Now that I'm part of the real world again I am happy to answer any qs.
To the extent that you can say on a public forum, do you know many people that are transferring or at least trying to? Have heard/read than one of the WUSTL downsides is a lot of folks try to transfer at the end of 1L, don't know how true that is.

I'm committed to WUSTL this fall, just curious.

BearCat
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by BearCat » Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 am

DaydreamNation wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:11 am
waldorf wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Now that I'm part of the real world again I am happy to answer any qs.
To the extent that you can say on a public forum, do you know many people that are transferring or at least trying to? Have heard/read than one of the WUSTL downsides is a lot of folks try to transfer at the end of 1L, don't know how true that is.

I'm committed to WUSTL this fall, just curious.
There are two valid reasons to transfer: (1) you have a need to be in a particular area, whether it be for family, an SO, or just personal desire, or (2) you will greatly benefit from the new school's OCI program, and that program will most likely help you get a job you couldn't get from WUSTL. Transferring provides the most benefit for people somewhere between median and top 20%. If you're within the top 20%, or better yet, within the top 10%, there are few firms that are out of your reach. For example, if you're somewhere in the top 1/3, and you really, really want to practice in Chicago, transferring to Northwestern may be a prudent move.

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by par283 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Can anyone speak to the social life at WUSTL? Does the school host events for students to get to know each other? Do most people have lives/SO's outside of the law school, or is there a strong community of students? Do students still go out?

lawboye
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by lawboye » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

Anybody got the scoop on parking? If I live in the Loop, I'll be about a ten minute walk from the law school. If I live in the CWE, I'd probably be driving much more often. But I've heard with all the construction, parking may not really be feasible/reliable?

User avatar
Vorona
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Vorona » Sat May 12, 2018 11:41 pm

par283 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm
Can anyone speak to the social life at WUSTL? Does the school host events for students to get to know each other? Do most people have lives/SO's outside of the law school, or is there a strong community of students? Do students still go out?

There are a lot of events during orientation week, and there were a bunch of student-organized events in the weeks leading up to it. There's a weekly bar review on Thursdays and (usually) a weekly happy hour on Fridays in the law school's courtyard with food, beer, wine, etc. The law school community is a little insular -- there's the occasional mixer for all the grad students but as far as I know not a lot of law students attend -- but people are friendly and sociable. There seem to be people going out at least every weekend, if not always the same people.
lawboye wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am
Anybody got the scoop on parking? If I live in the Loop, I'll be about a ten minute walk from the law school. If I live in the CWE, I'd probably be driving much more often. But I've heard with all the construction, parking may not really be feasible/reliable?
I don't have a car, but the people I know who do have no problem finding parking. I hear the passes are expensive, but in terms of availability, there are two garages right by the law school.

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by DaydreamNation » Sun May 13, 2018 11:40 am

BearCat wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 am
DaydreamNation wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:11 am
waldorf wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Now that I'm part of the real world again I am happy to answer any qs.
To the extent that you can say on a public forum, do you know many people that are transferring or at least trying to? Have heard/read than one of the WUSTL downsides is a lot of folks try to transfer at the end of 1L, don't know how true that is.

I'm committed to WUSTL this fall, just curious.
There are two valid reasons to transfer: (1) you have a need to be in a particular area, whether it be for family, an SO, or just personal desire, or (2) you will greatly benefit from the new school's OCI program, and that program will most likely help you get a job you couldn't get from WUSTL. Transferring provides the most benefit for people somewhere between median and top 20%. If you're within the top 20%, or better yet, within the top 10%, there are few firms that are out of your reach. For example, if you're somewhere in the top 1/3, and you really, really want to practice in Chicago, transferring to Northwestern may be a prudent move.
I don't mean to be an ass, but that's not an answer to the question I asked. I understand why people would transfer, I'm asking how many do.

BearCat
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by BearCat » Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:40 am
BearCat wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 am
DaydreamNation wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:11 am
waldorf wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Now that I'm part of the real world again I am happy to answer any qs.
To the extent that you can say on a public forum, do you know many people that are transferring or at least trying to? Have heard/read than one of the WUSTL downsides is a lot of folks try to transfer at the end of 1L, don't know how true that is.

I'm committed to WUSTL this fall, just curious.
There are two valid reasons to transfer: (1) you have a need to be in a particular area, whether it be for family, an SO, or just personal desire, or (2) you will greatly benefit from the new school's OCI program, and that program will most likely help you get a job you couldn't get from WUSTL. Transferring provides the most benefit for people somewhere between median and top 20%. If you're within the top 20%, or better yet, within the top 10%, there are few firms that are out of your reach. For example, if you're somewhere in the top 1/3, and you really, really want to practice in Chicago, transferring to Northwestern may be a prudent move.
I don't mean to be an ass, but that's not an answer to the question I asked. I understand why people would transfer, I'm asking how many do.
My point was that the # of transfers varies year to year depending on how many people have a good reason to transfer. My year, I'd guess somewhere around 10. I can only think of 6 that I know of off the top of my head. The year above me had way, way more transfers. It varies widely from year to year depending on how many people fit the aforementioned (1) and (2).

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waldorf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 am

It seems WUSTL may foster an environment that causes a decent amount of students to transfer (by decent amount, I mean 5-10). A lot of students may come for the large scholarship who aren’t from the Midwest and after a year prefer to be in their preferred geographic region. I have no idea how many people transfer, but I could see why a few more students do so than at other schools in larger cities.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waldorf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:19 am

par283 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm
Can anyone speak to the social life at WUSTL? Does the school host events for students to get to know each other? Do most people have lives/SO's outside of the law school, or is there a strong community of students? Do students still go out?
1. Weekly bar review, lots of stuff at orientation. Clubs all host events.

2. I would say there is both a strong community and a lot of people with outside lives, if that makes sense. A lot of people move from across the country to come here and want/need to be part of the community because they don’t know anyone else but with law school students being older generally a lot of people have serious SOs and whatnot. A few people from the area have more of a social network outside of school. I would definitely say the community is pretty strong though.

3. Yes, a lot of people still go out. More than I expected honestly

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waldorf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am

lawboye wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am
Anybody got the scoop on parking? If I live in the Loop, I'll be about a ten minute walk from the law school. If I live in the CWE, I'd probably be driving much more often. But I've heard with all the construction, parking may not really be feasible/reliable?
The parking pass for the garage next to the law school is around $800 for the year. Crazy expensive but if you have to drive to school every day, you kind of have to have it (the only other option is a pass for a commuter lot that you park in and a shuttle takes you to campus). If you apply for the pass and pay for it, you’ll get one - so it is available for those who want it. I was not in walking distance and sucked it up and paid the $800. It was worth it not to waste time during the day dealing with public transportation but YMMV.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waldorf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 am

DaydreamNation wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:11 am
waldorf wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Now that I'm part of the real world again I am happy to answer any qs.
To the extent that you can say on a public forum, do you know many people that are transferring or at least trying to? Have heard/read than one of the WUSTL downsides is a lot of folks try to transfer at the end of 1L, don't know how true that is.

I'm committed to WUSTL this fall, just curious.
See above. I personally know of one person strongly considering transferring for geographic reasons. It’s generally frowned upon to talk about grades etc. so some who are considering it may not talk about it much, but I haven’t heard much transfer talk at all (granted some may not say anything until spring grades are back, either).

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by par283 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks Waldorf!

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by DaydreamNation » Mon May 14, 2018 10:44 am

BearCat wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 pm
My point was that the # of transfers varies year to year depending on how many people have a good reason to transfer. My year, I'd guess somewhere around 10. I can only think of 6 that I know of off the top of my head. The year above me had way, way more transfers. It varies widely from year to year depending on how many people fit the aforementioned (1) and (2).
waldorf wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 am
It seems WUSTL may foster an environment that causes a decent amount of students to transfer (by decent amount, I mean 5-10). A lot of students may come for the large scholarship who aren’t from the Midwest and after a year prefer to be in their preferred geographic region. I have no idea how many people transfer, but I could see why a few more students do so than at other schools in larger cities.
waldorf wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 am
See above. I personally know of one person strongly considering transferring for geographic reasons. It’s generally frowned upon to talk about grades etc. so some who are considering it may not talk about it much, but I haven’t heard much transfer talk at all (granted some may not say anything until spring grades are back, either).
Okay, thanks!

lawboye
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by lawboye » Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm

waldorf wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am
lawboye wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am
Anybody got the scoop on parking? If I live in the Loop, I'll be about a ten minute walk from the law school. If I live in the CWE, I'd probably be driving much more often. But I've heard with all the construction, parking may not really be feasible/reliable?
The parking pass for the garage next to the law school is around $800 for the year. Crazy expensive but if you have to drive to school every day, you kind of have to have it (the only other option is a pass for a commuter lot that you park in and a shuttle takes you to campus). If you apply for the pass and pay for it, you’ll get one - so it is available for those who want it. I was not in walking distance and sucked it up and paid the $800. It was worth it not to waste time during the day dealing with public transportation but YMMV.
Yeah, that's kind of the big tradeoff for me right now. Live in the Loop and be in walking distance? Or live in the CWE (which I prefer) but have to drive every day? Good to know that it's there if I want/need it, though. I would hate to live where walking wasn't an option, and then find that I have to walk 20 minutes from some commuter lot anyway.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waldorf » Fri May 18, 2018 3:25 pm

lawboye wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm
waldorf wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am
lawboye wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am
Anybody got the scoop on parking? If I live in the Loop, I'll be about a ten minute walk from the law school. If I live in the CWE, I'd probably be driving much more often. But I've heard with all the construction, parking may not really be feasible/reliable?
The parking pass for the garage next to the law school is around $800 for the year. Crazy expensive but if you have to drive to school every day, you kind of have to have it (the only other option is a pass for a commuter lot that you park in and a shuttle takes you to campus). If you apply for the pass and pay for it, you’ll get one - so it is available for those who want it. I was not in walking distance and sucked it up and paid the $800. It was worth it not to waste time during the day dealing with public transportation but YMMV.
Yeah, that's kind of the big tradeoff for me right now. Live in the Loop and be in walking distance? Or live in the CWE (which I prefer) but have to drive every day? Good to know that it's there if I want/need it, though. I would hate to live where walking wasn't an option, and then find that I have to walk 20 minutes from some commuter lot anyway.
I drove every day and didn’t mind it, but I’ve never lived anywhere where walking was a viable option. I’ve always had to drive on a daily basis so it wasn’t any change for me. The commuter pass allows you to park and you are brought to the school by bus, so you don’t have to walk. I just didn’t want to spend the beginning and end of my day waiting for the bus, riding it to my car/school, etc. so that was a personal preference.

CWE/Loop are both great places to live and I think it comes down to personal preference. I’d go with where you like better and what is cheaper.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests