WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
lawboye

Re: WUSTL Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by lawboye » Fri May 18, 2018 3:36 pm

waldorf wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:25 pm
I’d go with where you like better and what is cheaper.
Unfortunately, those are kind of the two things that are at odds!

The more I think about it, and if I'm honest with myself, I'm simply not going to be walking to school most days from November to March. Which is the vast majority of the school year. So I should probably just take the walking thing out of consideration. It's great to know that parking is totally feasible for those who need it. I've been told by people in other programs/departments at WashU that the construction has parking so bad that you can end up walking 30 minutes from you car. So I'm glad to hear that doesn't seem to be the case for law students.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Fri May 18, 2018 3:56 pm

lawboye wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:36 pm
waldorf wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:25 pm
I’d go with where you like better and what is cheaper.
Unfortunately, those are kind of the two things that are at odds!

The more I think about it, and if I'm honest with myself, I'm simply not going to be walking to school most days from November to March. Which is the vast majority of the school year. So I should probably just take the walking thing out of consideration. It's great to know that parking is totally feasible for those who need it. I've been told by people in other programs/departments at WashU that the construction has parking so bad that you can end up walking 30 minutes from you car. So I'm glad to hear that doesn't seem to be the case for law students.
Yeah, I mean I am biased because as I said, I’ve never lived somewhere where I didn’t have to use my car every day - but I would not have walked most days had I been very close to school. If weather was bad, i was running late, i was tired... it wasn’t going to happen. So that eliminated 95% of school days.

The parking lot for law students is literally right next to the law school. It took me 2 minutes to get from my car to where my classes were.
Last edited by waldorf on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frozen_tundra9

Post by frozen_tundra9 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Anyone looking for housing? My friend and I, both rising 2Ls, are looking for a female roommate to live with us next year. It's the same apartment I lived in last year and loved it enough to stay for another year. The apartment is a three bed, two bath in Demun, about a 20 minute walk to the Law School. If you're interested, PM me and we can chat.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm

What is the PI culture like at WUSTL? I know that there are not as many students who go into PI as at some other T13/T20 schools, but where do the PI students at Wash U typically end up?

howdystopian

Post by howdystopian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Board seems kinda dead but bumping this thread as a WUSTL student who can take questions

CBratter

Post by CBratter » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Any WUSTL students here aiming for PI? (Or have friends who are)? I'd love to ask some questions about that experience and the available resources/support. Thanks :)

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 pm

yikes, I feel bad because I know next to nothing about PI =( i hope someone who does will chime in!

anecdotally, my class has a lot of people interested in public interest work. there’s definitely a supportive PI community here.

Eurapoopin

Post by Eurapoopin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:57 pm

CBratter wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm
Any WUSTL students here aiming for PI? (Or have friends who are)? I'd love to ask some questions about that experience and the available resources/support. Thanks :)
I assume you mean public interest, unless you mean personal injury? Either way I've got some experience in both. 2018 grad. Ask away unless you're specifically looking for current students' input.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Eurapoopin wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:57 pm
CBratter wrote:
I assume you mean public interest, unless you mean personal injury? Either way I've got some experience in both. 2018 grad. Ask away unless you're specifically looking for current students' input.
Is there support (career services, alumni connections, student groups, school-funded fellowships etc) for PI students or is WUSTL mostly striving to drive its BL/FC numbers?
Did you feel as though you had the ability to apply nationally to positions, or did the WUSTL brand not carry as much weight nationally as the T13? Would you recommend WUSTL with a large/full scholarship over a lower T13 with more debt for PI-aspiring students?

Vorona

Post by Vorona » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:55 am

Echos Myron wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:03 pm
Eurapoopin wrote:
CBratter wrote:
Is there support (career services, alumni connections, student groups, school-funded fellowships etc) for PI students or is WUSTL mostly striving to drive its BL/FC numbers?
Did you feel as though you had the ability to apply nationally to positions, or did the WUSTL brand not carry as much weight nationally as the T13? Would you recommend WUSTL with a large/full scholarship over a lower T13 with more debt for PI-aspiring students?
I'm a current WUSTL student pursuing PI. Support varies across the groups you mentioned: I haven't had much contact with career services but what I've heard from other PI-oriented students is that there's significant steering toward the private sector. The career services staff member in charge of PI just left her position, too. Not sure if they're going to shift someone else into a dedicated PI-support position, or if so, when that'll happen. OCIs and job fairs are heavily canted toward biglaw, and the PI employers who come out are mostly St. Louis-area organizations.

The PI student community at WUSTL is pretty active and other students are a good resource for job leads. 1Ls who work at an NGO or government position their first summer are entitled to school funding for those positions if they're unpaid ($10 per hour, up to $3k, or a flat $4k for students who do an international public interest internship.) Funding for 2L summer PI posts isn't guaranteed; I'm not sure how many people get funding, or for how much.

A lot of our PI folks get jobs in their target markets. There might be a slight prestige ding for more competitive positions (ACLU etc) but I think the biggest disadvantage is the opportunity cost of living in STL rather than the PI market you might want to work in (NYC, DC, etc.)

A lot of people at WashU chose the large scholarship over T13 admissions. That decision is gonna be pretty fact specific depending on your age, financial resources, the difference between your WUSTL and T13 scholarships, your personal risk tolerance and faith in the loan forgiveness program, and desired career path and/or legal market, among other things.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 am

Vorona wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:55 am
Echos Myron wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:03 pm
Eurapoopin wrote:
CBratter wrote:
I'm a current WUSTL student pursuing PI. Support varies across the groups you mentioned: I haven't had much contact with career services but what I've heard from other PI-oriented students is that there's significant steering toward the private sector. The career services staff member in charge of PI just left her position, too. Not sure if they're going to shift someone else into a dedicated PI-support position, or if so, when that'll happen. OCIs and job fairs are heavily canted toward biglaw, and the PI employers who come out are mostly St. Louis-area organizations.

The PI student community at WUSTL is pretty active and other students are a good resource for job leads. 1Ls who work at an NGO or government position their first summer are entitled to school funding for those positions if they're unpaid ($10 per hour, up to $3k, or a flat $4k for students who do an international public interest internship.) Funding for 2L summer PI posts isn't guaranteed; I'm not sure how many people get funding, or for how much.

A lot of our PI folks get jobs in their target markets. There might be a slight prestige ding for more competitive positions (ACLU etc) but I think the biggest disadvantage is the opportunity cost of living in STL rather than the PI market you might want to work in (NYC, DC, etc.)

A lot of people at WashU chose the large scholarship over T13 admissions. That decision is gonna be pretty fact specific depending on your age, financial resources, the difference between your WUSTL and T13 scholarships, your personal risk tolerance and faith in the loan forgiveness program, and desired career path and/or legal market, among other things.
Thanks for this info. It is very helpful. Do you mind sharing here or over PM what PI work you’re targeting? Do you feel confident that you’ll land a job in that field before graduation? Thanks again

North

Post by North » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm

anybody going to this WUSTL employer showcase?

North

Post by North » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm

there is like zero info on yalls website about it

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm

North wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm
i went last year. i know several 1Ls going this year.

North

Post by North » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:54 pm

waldorf wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm
North wrote:
Cool. Do lots of firms send people or is it a small thing?

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 pm

North wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:54 pm
waldorf wrote:
North wrote:
i meant to add that last year, we weren't told who was attending until the day of (i think--it might've been the day before)

a decent amount of firms were there last year. st. louis and chicago were heavily represented. it's a two day event this year (last year it was only one), so i assume it'll be bigger than last year.

here's the list of firms: http://apps.law.wustl.edu/enewsletter/1 ... endees.pdf. definitely more firms attending this year than last year.

DaydreamNation

Post by DaydreamNation » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 pm

North wrote:
Yes!

North

Post by North » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:18 am

waldorf wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 pm
North wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:54 pm
waldorf wrote:
North wrote:
i meant to add that last year, we weren't told who was attending until the day of (i think--it might've been the day before)

a decent amount of firms were there last year. st. louis and chicago were heavily represented. it's a two day event this year (last year it was only one), so i assume it'll be bigger than last year.

here's the list of firms: http://apps.law.wustl.edu/enewsletter/1 ... endees.pdf. definitely more firms attending this year than last year.
Lol okay less worried about outing myself now

See y’all tomorrow

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 am

i am now old (officially a 3L) and more qualified to answer questions. i am also bored. feel free to fire away!!

cubswin16

Post by cubswin16 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:32 pm

waldorf wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 am
i am now old (officially a 3L) and more qualified to answer questions. i am also bored. feel free to fire away!!
Going into your 3L year, anything you would have done differently?

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:21 pm

cubswin16 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:32 pm
waldorf wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 am
Going into your 3L year, anything you would have done differently?
during law school? probably not. i don’t think i could have done any better than i did (top 5%), so i am happy with my study habits and whatnot.

honestly, i would have chilled tf out. most law students tend to think that every little thing is the end of the world, and i was no exception during 1L. there is no reason to get super stressed and anxious about every little thing.