Law school in NYC- living expenses

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
NeverEverGiveUp

Law school in NYC- living expenses

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Anyone attending NYU, CLS or other law schools in the big Apple. Do you live on or off campus? What is your rent and commute like? What are your living expenses and how do you keep your living expenses down?
Just curious how people are managing living and studying in NYC on a student budget.

negusdahabesha

nah

Post by negusdahabesha » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 am

Last edited by negusdahabesha on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brushedsuedeluvr

Re: Law school in NYC- living expenses

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:09 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:02 pm
1) Anyone living in graduate students housing (2br apt) can share how big their room is? Also does it make a big difference in rent to move in with 3 people instead?
2) if you live off campus is it hard to qualify for housing in NYC as a student with excellent credit score but no current income? Do they accept loans documentation for rent?
3) where can one meet potential roommates that are considerate of others, leave no dirty dishes in the sink, no hair all over the bathroom and don’t bring crazy Parties 🎊 🎉 🎈 home? 😅
Responding here for convenience.

1. I'm in UAH housing, my room is pretty massive. I pay about ~$1k in a 2br; pretty large space overall not far at all from campus. Not sure whether it makes a difference or not; I'm in a 2br and my rent is significantly less than my friend in a 3br, but he's in law school housing so that's why he's paying more.
2. Moving off campus-you'll need a guarantor. When we applied, they wanted to see an income level 80X the rent, but this can vary.
3. You could try Sears. In all seriousness, there's no easy answer to this question. Try the facebook groups? Or roll the dice.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:09 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:02 pm
1) Anyone living in graduate students housing (2br apt) can share how big their room is? Also does it make a big difference in rent to move in with 3 people instead?
2) if you live off campus is it hard to qualify for housing in NYC as a student with excellent credit score but no current income? Do they accept loans documentation for rent?
3) where can one meet potential roommates that are considerate of others, leave no dirty dishes in the sink, no hair all over the bathroom and don’t bring crazy Parties 🎊 🎉 🎈 home? 😅
Responding here for convenience.

1. I'm in UAH housing, my room is pretty massive. I pay about ~$1k in a 2br; pretty large space overall not far at all from campus. Not sure whether it makes a difference or not; I'm in a 2br and my rent is significantly less than my friend in a 3br, but he's in law school housing so that's why he's paying more.
2. Moving off campus-you'll need a guarantor. When we applied, they wanted to see an income level 80X the rent, but this can vary.
3. You could try Sears. In all seriousness, there's no easy answer to this question. Try the facebook groups? Or roll the dice.
You are the best. I wished more would share their experience as a law student in NYC.

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:02 pm

Everyone will tell you being a law student is terrible; it’s much, much, much less terrible being a law student in NYC.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:13 am

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:02 pm
Everyone will tell you being a law student is terrible; it’s much, much, much less terrible being a law student in NYC.
+
Last edited by NeverEverGiveUp on Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:19 am

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:13 am
Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:02 pm
Hmmm I am curious as to why? Can you give more details please?
Also, is graduate student housing at CLS part of UAH? I saw a decently sized studio on morning side street when I visited. The law school building (lenfest?) was nice but the studio unit itself was a bit small. I can’t remember for sure but there may have been a washer and dryer in the studio.
I was pretty much set on a studio until I read you pay about $1000? The studio I saw was close to $2000. I would feel terrible paying that much knowing there are options half as much expensive. Housing is one thing I have always found worthwhile capping if it is doable without sacrificing too much. I am gambling that law school roommates on campus premises would be well behaved compared to random mates In the city.

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:40 am

New York is really really really fun.

Yes, grad student housing is UAH; you'll have the option of prioritizing law school housing (which is I think only on 116th and 115th street super close to the law school, more expensive usually) or UAH (general grad housing, which I think spans 110th to 125th, Amsterdam to Riverside, generally significantly cheaper).

I quite enjoy UAH; I did a lot of searching on other forums about CLS/asked some CLS alums on here about housing and was basically told that UAH >>> Law school housing. I have friends in law school housing who quite like it though, so either way you'll be fine. Don't know about anyone in Lenfest though.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:40 am
New York is really really really fun.

Yes, grad student housing is UAH; you'll have the option of prioritizing law school housing (which is I think only on 116th and 115th street super close to the law school, more expensive usually) or UAH (general grad housing, which I think spans 110th to 125th, Amsterdam to Riverside, generally significantly cheaper).

I quite enjoy UAH; I did a lot of searching on other forums about CLS/asked some CLS alums on here about housing and was basically told that UAH >>> Law school housing. I have friends in law school housing who quite like it though, so either way you'll be fine. Don't know about anyone in Lenfest though.
Thanks! I hope someone renting a studio can share their experience at CLS. I heard the more affordable ones are hard to come by. Would anyone know if it is easier to snatch a good deal with an early move in date?

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Any recommendations about cheap groceries stores? Tax free purchases in the city?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:08 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:52 pm
Any recommendations about cheap groceries stores? Tax free purchases in the city?
Trader Joe's all the way! I can't remember which school you said you're going to, but you can walk to ones that are near NYU pretty easily. If you're doing NYU and living on campus, I'd do most of your shopping at TJ's and then if you need something last minute you can do something like Morton Williams. For CLS I'm not sure which grocery stores you'd want, but you may have access to a TJ's anyway so it might not matter.

And then I also stocked up on staples through Prime Pantry.

BarrySid

Post by BarrySid » Thu May 02, 2019 12:08 pm

For CLS:

Rent / commute: lived within a block - probably too close since it feels like you never leave the school area, but it was convenient. I think most of the housing for CLS is generally close. Price-wise it was fair but not a deal compared to what else is in the area ($~2000 for a large one bedroom, big enough for a couple, probably more now). The main benefit is that, in my experience, Columbia isn't a bad landlord to its students, and you generally don't need to worry about others throwing parties and being noisy when you're trying to study.

Living expenses: probably too much. I lived off Chirping Chicken and cooking (generally got two dinners out of $12 from Chirping Chicken when I didn't want to be bothered cooking for any extended period of time). You can also get free lunch most days if you'd like which certainly adds up. Being mindful of what you spend at bars is critical, because that adds up really quickly.

Groceries: there's a TJ's on 92nd, so you probably need to take a cab back depending on how often you shop. The closest grocery store to the law school is Morton Williams which is overpriced. There's also a place called Westside Market which is close, but I didn't shop there enough to know whether it's overpriced.

Books: Try Amazon and NYU book store. While Amazon wasn't cheaper, I saved something like $60 per book buying them from NYU's book store a couples years ago.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu May 02, 2019 1:19 pm

I lived in Harlem, which was about a 15-20 minute walk to school. I would live w/ people looking for a roommate. It didn't require a guarantor since I was never on the lease. I did a month-to-month set up. Both apartments I lived in were $1300/month. I chose roommates who were in their mid-30s or higher, as they were as quite and boring as I was.

Good low cost grocery store in Harlem is Best Market - Harlem at 18th and Frederick Douglass Blvd.