Too soon to decide?

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
dallinpackard

Too soon to decide?

Post by dallinpackard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:06 am

Hey y'all! I know I've posted before, but here goes another (hopefully last) post!

Stats: 3.61 in EE, 172.
Goals: Patent prosecution/litigation at Biglaw in Houston, Texas for a few years, then settle down with either in-house or my own thing. A clerkship would be nice, but I know it's all about my grades, which are unpredictable at this point.
Ties: My wife and I are both from Houston, and our families are all there. My dad has a firm there, my brother-in-law works there, etc... I doubt I will have a hard time convincing Houston firms that I want to work there.

Offers:
Michigan (135k scholarship)
UVA (120k scholarship)
UT (24k scholarship)
Duke (still haven't applied for scholarship aid)
Houston (90kish)

CoA:
Michigan 105k
UVA 125k
UT 145k

Still waiting on HCCN, but not expecting enough money to make it worth it for me.

Would it be a bad idea for me to commit to Michigan already, without going to ASWs or waiting for the rest of my offers to come in? My wife and I are very excited by Michigan/Ann Arbor's culture, and seems like a great place to raise our son. UT will probably match Michigan's offer, but so far my interactions with UT have led me to feeling that I don't want to go there.
UT is close to family though...which would be pretty nice for my wife and son while I'm busy at school. And I know it does incredibly well for Texas Biglaw, as does UVA.

What are y'alls thoughts? Would I be making a mistake by committing to Michigan?
Last edited by dallinpackard on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSN

Re: Too soon to decide?

Post by RSN » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:17 am

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but what do you gain by committing now? Michigan might be the right fit, or UT might be if they can match, but I don't see any reason why you'd want to lock yourself in before you have the full picture.

Platopus

Post by Platopus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 am

dallinpackard wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:06 am

What are y'alls thoughts? Would I be making a mistake by committing to Michigan?
Yes, it would be a mistake. You gain nothing by committing now. Wait for all your offers to come in, and more importantly, scholarship information, before you decide.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:19 am

Surprised you're not giving UVA more of a serious consideration? UVA has a stronger biglaw output (62.4% vs. 53.5% large firm score according to LST), and the consensus around here seems to be that its name carries more weight in the South than Michigan.

And yes, definitely wait for all your offers to come in.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:35 am

Gah, y'all are probably right. Hm. I think UVA is a decent contender, but Michigan definitely seems to be more appealing for family living. My wife will be a stay at home mom, and is quite excited by all that Ann Arbor has to offer.

UT's matching conditions are that I make a decision within a week (or shorter), which frankly frightens me.

I think I'd just like to be done with the process and just settle into my new school, but I guess there isn't much wisdom in deciding now without a more complete picture, although I doubt much will change.

barbieprincess76

Post by barbieprincess76 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Last edited by barbieprincess76 on Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Are you patent bar eligible? Whats your undergrad? That will affect your opportunities as well and can help us direct you.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Bubbles wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm
Are you patent bar eligible? Whats your undergrad? That will affect your opportunities as well and can help us direct you.
he said he was EE.

C-Ville is an amazing place to raise kids but i think the play is to get UT to up its scholarship amount.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:29 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 pm
Bubbles wrote:
he said he was EE.

C-Ville is an amazing place to raise kids but i think the play is to get UT to up its scholarship amount.
Sorry, missed the EE. I agree with this, get UT to significantly up, and seriously consider UVA.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Bubbles wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:29 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Bubbles wrote:
he said he was EE.

Sorry, missed the EE. I agree with this, get UT to significantly up, and seriously consider UVA.
All good, and thank you both for the recommendations. The only thing is that once UT bumps their offer I have to take it or leave it within a week, and I'm not ready for that yet, so I'm going to hold off until I've been able to really find out where we'd rather be.

My wife is THRILLED by Ann Arbor (except for the cold) because of all the museums, activities, etc... for children, and that is honestly a major factor in my decision. I'm sure that I will have semi-equal opportunities at each school, and have spoken with several Michigan students who've had no problem landing summer jobs in Houston, so I think my goals will be met at any of the three schools (Michigan was the only question, UVA and UT would obviously get me where I want to go).

So now I really just want to make sure that my wife is in a place that she loves, because she will be at home all day with my son.

law

Post by law » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 pm

I would hold out until you have all of your options on the table. Especially if you're still waiting on Duke

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 am

dallinpackard wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:36 pm
Bubbles wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:29 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Bubbles wrote:
he said he was EE.

All good, and thank you both for the recommendations. The only thing is that once UT bumps their offer I have to take it or leave it within a week, and I'm not ready for that yet, so I'm going to hold off until I've been able to really find out where we'd rather be.

My wife is THRILLED by Ann Arbor (except for the cold) because of all the museums, activities, etc... for children, and that is honestly a major factor in my decision. I'm sure that I will have semi-equal opportunities at each school, and have spoken with several Michigan students who've had no problem landing summer jobs in Houston, so I think my goals will be met at any of the three schools (Michigan was the only question, UVA and UT would obviously get me where I want to go).

So now I really just want to make sure that my wife is in a place that she loves, because she will be at home all day with my son.
It sounds like you've weighed everything carefully. You want your wife to be happy and set yourself up for success. It's a balancing act. Yes. Michigan can get you where you want. This board is conservative because UVA and UT would have a better chance at getting you there, but it's not like Michigan is a terrible option. We cannot weigh the family choices for you, because that is very personal. I would get better offers from UT and UVA and go back to Michigan and get them to up the offer if possible. Especially since you have strong Texas ties. It may work.

Rigo

Post by Rigo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 am

UVA should not be cast aside.
See if they'll match (and do the Texas matching obviously).
Then take your wife to Charlottesville and Ann Arbor. A visit is definitely in order since your decision seems to be mainly about wife QOL.

principalagent

Post by principalagent » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am

OP decided on Michigan and committed.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 am

principalagent wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am
;)

I appreciate all of the sound advice given, and my wife and I considered it carefully but ultimately decided that we did not need to visit in order to feel confident with choosing Michigan. We felt that any of our options would have been great choices, but leaned towards Michigan. I know many wouldn't have made this decision without visiting, but we felt comfortable doing so after talking to many students and grads and wives of students from both UVA and Michigan in order to get an accurate feel for the opportunities, and communities at each school. Thank you all so much for your help! Go blue!

solennita

Post by solennita » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 am

dallinpackard wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 am
I appreciate all of the sound advice given, and my wife and I considered it carefully but ultimately decided that we did not need to visit in order to feel confident with choosing Michigan. We felt that any of our options would have been great choices, but leaned towards Michigan. I know many wouldn't have made this decision without visiting, but we felt comfortable doing so after talking to many students and grads and wives of students from both UVA and Michigan in order to get an accurate feel for the opportunities, and communities at each school. Thank you all so much for your help! Go blue!
Ah! Congratulations!!!! Please feel free to message me about all things Ann Arbor, I'll be in town this weekend visiting and am so excited to be back :)

(GO BLUE!!)

BirdLawExpert

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm

dallinpackard wrote:
principalagent wrote:
;)

Congrats, man! Obviously I was pulling for UT, but Michigan is a great school and Ann Arbor ain't a bad place to spend a few years. Just make sure you go all in and GO BLUE! Don't be one of those law students that's too cool for school spirit, because your standard of living goes way up in Ann Arbor if you enjoy the team.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm
dallinpackard wrote:
principalagent wrote:
;)

Congrats, man! Obviously I was pulling for UT, but Michigan is a great school and Ann Arbor ain't a bad place to spend a few years. Just make sure you go all in and GO BLUE! Don't be one of those law students that's too cool for school spirit, because your standard of living goes way up in Ann Arbor if you enjoy the team.
I appreciate it! UT would have been nice, but my wife and I decided that it was worth it to take one of UVA/Michigan over UT. She doesn't love football, so I'll have to work on her:p I, on the other hand, LOVE football, so we'll figure something out!

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm

WAY too soon

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm

darthlawyer wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm
WAY too soon
You had no reason to necro this. Don’t do this.

ContigoMontoya

Post by ContigoMontoya » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm
darthlawyer wrote:
WAY too soon
Looking at his post history, it doesn't seem they deserve to have the ban/block benefit of the doubt IMO search.php?author_id=523&sr=posts

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:46 pm

ContigoMontoya wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm
UVA2B wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm
darthlawyer wrote:
WAY too soon
Looking at his post history, it doesn't seem they deserve to have the ban/block benefit of the doubt IMO search.php?author_id=523&sr=posts
They have not been blocked or banned. I was just telling them to not necro like this. It was a friendly reminder/warning shot.