Nah

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.

NYU vs CLS

NYU
42%
CLS
58%

Total votes: 19

negusdahabesha

Nah

Post by negusdahabesha » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Last edited by negusdahabesha on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

quiver

Re: NYU VS COLUMBIA (but different than the other times)

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:38 pm

NYU is usually the answer here if you're going for PI (especially with that scholarship). So, I think it boils down to how serious your doubts are about PI right after law school. If you're really questioning that path, go CLS; if not, go NYU.

Good news: you can't go wrong either way.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm

I'd be a bit more bullish on the no-contingency angle. 5 years is a long time. If you're not a true believer who's >90% sure about working in qualifying PI employment, then getting the same deal at Columbia, a peer school, with no such stipulation seems like a no-brainer.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 pm

I don't think we can answer this for you. Both great schools, both great outcomes, same costs. You have to decide how much you want to do PI and impact lit. I don't know if 90% committed is the right threshold. But if it is what you want and you want what sounds like a support system for achieving it, then NYU should be the winner. If you're genuinely unsure, and not in a hypothetical "well if I thought about all these areas that sound kinda cool and I don't want to say no forever" then do Columbia.

You're always going to have a little doubt, a little FOMO, and that will only continue in law school, no matter which path you take. Look at the reasons you're doing this to begin with, and let that guide you.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:07 am

I guess I want to hear more about the inconsistency in your post:

If your long-term goal involves high-level PI of the kind that the RTK program sets you up for, why was Columbia your dream school?

necho2

Post by necho2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:41 am

Yeah this is too personal for us to answer w/o really understanding your commitment to PI. NYU's better if you're truly comfortable w/ the RTK's requirements, but if these are real doubts a full scholarship to CLS is better.

NYUBound

Post by NYUBound » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:49 am

FWIW, I haven't heard raving reviews about the programmatic aspect from my RTK friends, but that's a small sample size. Also, if you're trying to minimize debt, COL around Columbia is cheaper to the tune of $5k+ per year.

Stanford4me

Post by Stanford4me » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Pretty much +1 to everything that's already been said. And I'll just anecdotally add that RTK recipients I know in and around my year (2013) are doing great work that they seem to really enjoy.

Either choice is great, but if you choose Columbia be prepared to lose in basketball every year.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Stanford4me wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:07 pm
Either choice is great, but if you choose Columbia be prepared to lose in basketball every year.
whoever wrote that Wikipedia page wrote:The Deans' Cup is an annual charity basketball game between the law schools of Columbia University (CLS), one of the top law schools in the country, and New York University (NYU), one of the top law schools in New York City.
LMAO

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm

icechicken wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:19 pm
Stanford4me wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:07 pm
whoever wrote that Wikipedia page wrote:The Deans' Cup is an annual charity basketball game between the law schools of Columbia University (CLS), one of the top law schools in the country, and New York University (NYU), one of the top law schools in New York City.
LMAO
Savage

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Do you have time to visit both schools again? Maybe see if NYU can set you up with a current RTK scholar and ask about their experience in the program. I'd say NYU since the public interest culture is so much stronger there, but I'm definitely biased as an NYU alum (and my fiance is a CLS grad who is still doing public interest work).

negusdahabesha

nah

Post by negusdahabesha » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Last edited by negusdahabesha on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

negusdahabesha

nah

Post by negusdahabesha » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Last edited by negusdahabesha on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

negusdahabesha

NAH

Post by negusdahabesha » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Last edited by negusdahabesha on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:23 pm

negusdahabesha wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 pm
Slytherpuff wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:33 pm
Do you have time to visit both schools again? Maybe see if NYU can set you up with a current RTK scholar and ask about their experience in the program. I'd say NYU since the public interest culture is so much stronger there, but I'm definitely biased as an NYU alum (and my fiance is a CLS grad who is still doing public interest work).
I definitely don't. I'm like an 8 hour flight away from New York and I have to let NYU know by Monday. I'm pretty sure I've connected with your fiancé, but it might be time to ask them for advice again!
Ask if you can email or video chat with a current RTK person then! And yes, talk to CLS public interest people on here. I really do think the culture is a million times stronger at NYU but I'm biased, as I said.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Oh, man, this is tough and I think it comes down to exactly how much advantage NYU has over CLS in public interest work and how committed you are to it. The NYU PI alum network is probably huge but I wonder how much of that is self-selection, i.e., everyone goes to NYU for public interest but can you get the same type of public interest work from CLS if you went for it or are you locked out if you don't go to NYU.

Personally, I'd probably say CLS to keep your options open. But this advice is coming from somebody who had no friggin clue what they wanted to do after law school, much less someone committed to any sort of public interest work. My advice almost always leans towards keeping the most options open.

NYUBound

Post by NYUBound » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:35 pm

negusdahabesha wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 pm

I definitely don't. I'm like an 8 hour flight away from New York and I have to let NYU know by Monday. I'm pretty sure I've connected with your fiancé, but it might be time to ask them for advice again!
In the end, you're going to a T6 school for nearly free and you're going to be enabled to do whatever work you want to do. Remember that before you feel like panicking. Maybe one last thing to ask yourself is the self-selected environment you want to be around - setting resources aside, the student body at NYU is very progressive/do-goody, and lots of activities/events/student orgs are structured around that. Obviously I can't speak to the environment at Columbia, but I imagine PI stuff doesn't feel like the center of gravity there.

You could also just flip a coin.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 pm

I do think it's going to come down to personal preference, but please don't make your decision based on what your family/friends/anyone-who-isn't-in-a-position-to-someday-hire-you think about the relative prestige of NYU vs. Columbia.

I (like others commenting) am biased towards NYU because this is the experience I know. I can say, however, that I know Columbia students who are more interested in PI/government work long-term, and they have expressed regret that they didn't go to a school with a stronger PI culture. It's not that they don't have the chance to get jobs, but they've said that it's much harder to get clinics, seminars, etc. in relevant fields because the school is basically a conveyor belt heading for biglaw. Again, it's hardly going to stop you from getting PI opportunities, but if your long-term goal is public interest work, I think NYU is going to set you up better for that.

negusdahabesha

NAH

Post by negusdahabesha » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Last edited by negusdahabesha on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4me

Post by Stanford4me » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:26 pm

negusdahabesha wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:21 pm
I chose NYU and I'm super happy that I did! Thank you all for your help!!
Congrats! I'm sure you'll have a great time there. I honestly only have good things to say about NYU and the student body there.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Stanford4me wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:26 pm
negusdahabesha wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:21 pm
I chose NYU and I'm super happy that I did! Thank you all for your help!!
Congrats! I'm sure you'll have a great time there. I honestly only have good things to say about NYU and the student body there.
Yes, echoing this 100%