Berkeley/Boalt Students and Graduates Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
voyager

Re: Berkeley/Boalt Students and Graduates Taking Questions

Post by voyager » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm seconding the Manville question: If the lease is a required 12-months, what do occupants typically do about their summers if subletting isn't an option? I'd like to get an SA position outside of the Bay if possible, and I'm assuming that one would have to eat the costs if that is the case...

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm

voyager wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 pm
I'm seconding the Manville question: If the lease is a required 12-months, what do occupants typically do about their summers if subletting isn't an option? I'd like to get an SA position outside of the Bay if possible, and I'm assuming that one would have to eat the costs if that is the case...
Yea, I think people eat the cost. But, SA positions are usually your 2L summer so you can get a 1L summer position in the Bay and move out of Manville after 1L. Or not move into Maville at all.

voyager

Post by voyager » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 pm

dietcoke wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm
voyager wrote:
Yea, I think people eat the cost. But, SA positions are usually your 2L summer so you can get a 1L summer position in the Bay and move out of Manville after 1L. Or not move into Maville at all.
IS it common for people who live in Manville/Berkeley area to find a position in SF and use public transport to get there and back during their 1L summers?

tedler

Post by tedler » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:06 pm

voyager wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 pm
dietcoke wrote:
voyager wrote:
IS it common for people who live in Manville/Berkeley area to find a position in SF and use public transport to get there and back during their 1L summers?
I’m sure some people do it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I’ve been commuting two days a week for my field placement this semester, and at a little over an hour each way I’m pretty drained by the end of the week.

Of course, there are people who have much worse commutes and some folks have a higher tolerance for them than others. But I find it impossible to be productive on BART/MUNI (there’s generally no seating when I ride), so it just feels like completely wasted time.

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:54 pm

tedler wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:06 pm
voyager wrote:
dietcoke wrote:
voyager wrote:
I’m sure some people do it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I’ve been commuting two days a week for my field placement this semester, and at a little over an hour each way I’m pretty drained by the end of the week.

Of course, there are people who have much worse commutes and some folks have a higher tolerance for them than others. But I find it impossible to be productive on BART/MUNI (there’s generally no seating when I ride), so it just feels like completely wasted time.
Yeah, I BARTed from Berk to SF all of last summer for a job and while it can be done, it is definitely not a fun time.

voyager

Post by voyager » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 am

dietcoke wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:54 pm
tedler wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:06 pm
voyager wrote:
dietcoke wrote:
voyager wrote:

Yeah, I BARTed from Berk to SF all of last summer for a job and while it can be done, it is definitely not a fun time.
Hmm...I've been spoiled in that I haven't needed public transport for a good majority of my life, so I'm going to assume that my tolerance for it will be quite low (esp 1hr+ commute one-way). I guess the best thing to hope for is a paid position in SF while finding a place to sublet and eating the cost of Manville? If not, finding an unpaid/paid public interest position in Berkeley itself would be amazing.

Major

Post by Major » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 am

Last edited by Major on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voyager

Post by voyager » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:02 am

How many people (anecdotal of course) usually try to write on to CLR their 1L year percentage-wise? I would assume its somewhat less competitive than other schools because all of the secondary journals are open to all students who are interested, as opposed to say UVA's system of a universal write-on for their journals.

Btw, thanks for all the great insights you guys :)

tinywingnut

Post by tinywingnut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello! I have another rent question -- at ASW someone asked how much people typically pay in rent and a 1L ballparked it at $900-1400 a month, and said most people are at the lower end. That was a little surprising -- Berkeley's projected cost of living estimation for rent+utilities is $14,414. If that's for 9 months, thats $1600 a month, which was closer to what I was expecting, but still, I'm looking on craigslist and there is really nothing in that range that seems reasonable (and allows pets!).

I'm searching for both rooms in houses and studios and I'm still not seeing anything really pop up below $1500, and even then counting utilities, parking, pet rent etc looks like even the cheapest (and grossest) places are going to run into the $1.75-2k range. When I start looking into the $2-2.5k range, things open up a lot, but that seems like a totally insane amount of money to spend on rent--especially if we are stuck with a 1 year lease without the ability to sub-let.

I'm just looking to understand what's a normal amount to spend. Maybe I'm just looking too early and things will open up more over the summer? Or maybe one of you is looking for someone to take over a lease starting late-summer for an awesome studio/apartment that's walkable distance to campus, allows cats, has a place to park a car, has in-house laundry, and costs less than $1.5k? :D :D :D

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 pm

voyager wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:02 am
How many people (anecdotal of course) usually try to write on to CLR their 1L year percentage-wise? I would assume its somewhat less competitive than other schools because all of the secondary journals are open to all students who are interested, as opposed to say UVA's system of a universal write-on for their journals.

I think about 150 tries out and another 100 actually finish the write on. Then around fifty people make it.

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:38 pm

tinywingnut wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 pm
Hello! I have another rent question -- at ASW someone asked how much people typically pay in rent and a 1L ballparked it at $900-1400 a month, and said most people are at the lower end. That was a little surprising -- Berkeley's projected cost of living estimation for rent+utilities is $14,414. If that's for 9 months, thats $1600 a month, which was closer to what I was expecting, but still, I'm looking on craigslist and there is really nothing in that range that seems reasonable (and allows pets!).

I'm searching for both rooms in houses and studios and I'm still not seeing anything really pop up below $1500, and even then counting utilities, parking, pet rent etc looks like even the cheapest (and grossest) places are going to run into the $1.75-2k range. When I start looking into the $2-2.5k range, things open up a lot, but that seems like a totally insane amount of money to spend on rent--especially if we are stuck with a 1 year lease without the ability to sub-let.

I'm just looking to understand what's a normal amount to spend. Maybe I'm just looking too early and things will open up more over the summer? Or maybe one of you is looking for someone to take over a lease starting late-summer for an awesome studio/apartment that's walkable distance to campus, allows cats, has a place to park a car, has in-house laundry, and costs less than $1.5k? :D :D :D
I pay around 1300 for a two bedroom apartment that I share with another law student, has one parking spot, and is about a 20-minute bus ride to school. EVERYONE tells me that I am paying way too much. Once you're here I think its a lot easier to find a place because you know people, but I also think more things will open when it gets closer to May/June.

voyager

Post by voyager » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:54 am

dietcoke wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 pm
voyager wrote:

I think about 150 tries out and another 100 actually finish the write on. Then around fifty people make it.
So 250 people try out? Or is it that out of 150, 100 actually end up completing the process? Sorry, your wording confused me, but I read it as the latter which means ~50% who complete it make it on?

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:54 pm

voyager wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:54 am
dietcoke wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 pm
voyager wrote:

So 250 people try out? Or is it that out of 150, 100 actually end up completing the process? Sorry, your wording confused me, but I read it as the latter which means ~50% who complete it make it on?
150 start it. About 100 finish the process. Around 50 people make it, I believe.

concernedparent

Post by concernedparent » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:18 pm

voyager wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 am
Hmm...I've been spoiled in that I haven't needed public transport for a good majority of my life, so I'm going to assume that my tolerance for it will be quite low (esp 1hr+ commute one-way). I guess the best thing to hope for is a paid position in SF while finding a place to sublet and eating the cost of Manville? If not, finding an unpaid/paid public interest position in Berkeley itself would be amazing.
It's not 1 hour each way. From DT Berkeley or Ashby to Montgomery is a 30 minute ride. Manville is like a 5 minute walk from DT Berkeley BART station. Tack on ~10 minutes AT MOST to walk from SF BART to your office. BART isn't pleasant, but the walking to and from is pretty great.

NavyNuke

Post by NavyNuke » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 pm

What makes BART not pleasant?

voyager

Post by voyager » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:19 pm

concernedparent wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:18 pm
voyager wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 am
It's not 1 hour each way. From DT Berkeley or Ashby to Montgomery is a 30 minute ride. Manville is like a 5 minute walk from DT Berkeley BART station. Tack on ~10 minutes AT MOST to walk from SF BART to your office. BART isn't pleasant, but the walking to and from is pretty great.
Sorry for my ignorance, and that's actually not that bad! Looks like I'll definitely be looking into SF opportunities for my 1L summer.

concernedparent

Post by concernedparent » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:46 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 pm
What makes BART not pleasant?
Rail squeal especially when it goes underwater. Getting on BART during rush hour is a competitive sport, and being on it during isn't fun either. Fortunately I'm reasonably tall, I feel sorry for the short people who may be buried in my armpit.

plzkillme1224

Post by plzkillme1224 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:41 am

Anybody know how "mods" are determined? Who groups people together and what's their method?

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:53 pm

plzkillme1224 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:41 am
Anybody know how "mods" are determined? Who groups people together and what's their method?
No students really know. Lots of guesses, but hard to say.

usaorbust

Post by usaorbust » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Where does someone need to fall to get a Fed district clerkship from Berkeley? Do you need to be like top 20 or 25% ( and does the grading system complicate that cutoff)?

norfnorf

Post by norfnorf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:01 pm

dietcoke wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:53 pm
plzkillme1224 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:41 am
No students really know. Lots of guesses, but hard to say.
what are some of the guesses??

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:13 am

usaorbust wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Where does someone need to fall to get a Fed district clerkship from Berkeley? Do you need to be like top 20 or 25% ( and does the grading system complicate that cutoff)?

Depends on where you want to clerk. If you are willing to go anywhere then the less you need to be towards the top of your class. Berkeley does a ranking for clerking purposes which I believe you can get after you get your second-semester grades.

usaorbust

Post by usaorbust » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:36 pm

dietcoke wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:13 am
usaorbust wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Depends on where you want to clerk. If you are willing to go anywhere then the less you need to be towards the top of your class. Berkeley does a ranking for clerking purposes which I believe you can get after you get your second-semester grades.
So where do you think you’d have to be if you’re willing to go anywhere, if you’d want an average competitive d.ct, or avg competitive c.ct?

NukinFutz

Post by NukinFutz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:41 pm

For Berkeley Law students: I have some questions about 1L SA positions.

First, what is the chance of landing a paying 1L SA position? Secondly, what kind of pay could one expect in a 1L SA position? Third, assuming one is aiming for a 1L SA position, is it wise to be seeking a firm that you are hoping to work a 2L SA position with, or is it similarly beneficial to merely have worked a 1L SA with a firm, as one goes into OCI?

Just trying to explore financial realities of attending Berkeley as I near having to make a decision. Thank you and I appreciate your time!

emlaw03

Post by emlaw03 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 pm

NukinFutz wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:41 pm
For Berkeley Law students: I have some questions about 1L SA positions.

First, what is the chance of landing a paying 1L SA position? Secondly, what kind of pay could one expect in a 1L SA position? Third, assuming one is aiming for a 1L SA position, is it wise to be seeking a firm that you are hoping to work a 2L SA position with, or is it similarly beneficial to merely have worked a 1L SA with a firm, as one goes into OCI?

Just trying to explore financial realities of attending Berkeley as I near having to make a decision. Thank you and I appreciate your time!
1) 1L SA positions are largely focused on promoting diversity within the firms. Chances of landing one are largely dependent upon performing well in the first semester (at least above the median) since that's the only grades you will have when you apply and also having some form of diversity that you can speak to in the application. Side note, chances significantly increase with a hard science background.

2) Most 1L SA positions pay what one would receive as a 1st year associate ($3,500/week).

3) Given the difficulty in attaining one, I suggest applying broadly. If you land one, having that experience will only help during OCI. That being said, if you land a 1L SA position at a firm you want to work at, then that's fantastic because you will likely get an offer during the summer to return and can completely skip the stress and anxiety that is OCI.

Source: Currently a 1L who just went through this entire process.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want me to expand on anything above.
Last edited by emlaw03 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.