Berkeley/Boalt Students and Graduates Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
NukinFutz

Re: Berkeley/Boalt Students and Graduates Taking Questions

Post by NukinFutz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 pm

emlaw03 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 pm
NukinFutz wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:41 pm
For Berkeley Law students: I have some questions about 1L SA positions.

First, what is the chance of landing a paying 1L SA position? Secondly, what kind of pay could one expect in a 1L SA position? Third, assuming one is aiming for a 1L SA position, is it wise to be seeking a firm that you are hoping to work a 2L SA position with, or is it similarly beneficial to merely have worked a 1L SA with a firm, as one goes into OCI?

Just trying to explore financial realities of attending Berkeley as I near having to make a decision. Thank you and I appreciate your time!
1) 1L SA positions are largely focused on promoting diversity within the firms. Chances of landing one are largely dependent upon performing well in the first semester (at least above the median) since that's the only grades you will have when you apply and also having some form of diversity that you can speak to in the application. Side note, chances significantly increase with a hard science background.

2) Most 1L SA positions pay what one would receive as a 1st year associate ($3,500/week).

3) Given the difficulty in attaining one, I suggest applying broadly. If you land one, having that experience will only help during OCI. That being said, if you land a 1L SA position at a firm you want to work at, then that's fantastic because you will likely get an offer during the summer to return and can completely skip the stress and anxiety that is OCI.
Fantastic. Thank you for answering those questions, Emlaw03; I appreciate it very much! When you say well above the median, what does this really equate to in terms of grades? For example, one highest honors, and a couple of honors and the rest pass? Would something like that suffice?

emlaw03

Post by emlaw03 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:26 pm

NukinFutz wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Fantastic. Thank you for answering those questions, Emlaw03; I appreciate it very much! When you say well above the median, what does this really equate to in terms of grades? For example, one highest honors, and a couple of honors and the rest pass? Would something like that suffice?
Just to clarify, I wouldn't say it needs to be well above the median (but of course the better the grades, the better the chances). You receive three grades your first semester. Anecdotally, I know someone who received two honors and one pass and landed a 1L SA position at a v20 firm in SF. The application process is unique because there is a personal/diversity statement component. A compelling essay will definitely help if the grades aren't super distinguishable.

To target 1L SA positions effectively I would recommend sending out job applications right after finals mid-December. Applications open December 1st, but studying for finals is much more important than getting the application in two weeks earlier. Also, it is a numbers game so apply to as many as possible (ex: I got rejected by all of the firms I applied to except one, which happens to be a v5 firm). No idea what happened there because I applied with relatively the same essay to all of them. Most have a similar prompt for the essay component so it goes pretty fast.

NukinFutz

Post by NukinFutz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:18 am

emlaw03 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:26 pm
NukinFutz wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Just to clarify, I wouldn't say it needs to be well above the median (but of course the better the grades, the better the chances). You receive three grades your first semester. Anecdotally, I know someone who received two honors and one pass and landed a 1L SA position at a v20 firm in SF. The application process is unique because there is a personal/diversity statement component. A compelling essay will definitely help if the grades aren't super distinguishable.

To target 1L SA positions effectively I would recommend sending out job applications right after finals mid-December. Applications open December 1st, but studying for finals is much more important than getting the application in two weeks earlier. Also, it is a numbers game so apply to as many as possible (ex: I got rejected by all of the firms I applied to except one, which happens to be a v5 firm). No idea what happened there because I applied with relatively the same essay to all of them. Most have a similar prompt for the essay component so it goes pretty fast.
Thank you, once again. That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I take it to mean that when you say apply broadly, that doing so within SF meets what you speak of? I won't be able to travel to a different market; I'll be anchored to SF for various personal reasons. If you don't mind me asking... how many firms did you apply to? Secondly, was the pay on par with what you stated earlier?

Sorry if these questions are too specific. I'm happy to discuss things in a PM as well if you prefer. Either way, I really appreciate your insight, it has been extremely helpful.

masterz

Post by masterz » Wed May 09, 2018 11:42 pm

Hey guys! I was wondering how bad parking is. I am planning on living a bit far from school and drive. If I buy the parking permit, would I be able to park near the law school? Thanks!

sdancer89

Post by sdancer89 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm

masterz wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:42 pm
Hey guys! I was wondering how bad parking is. I am planning on living a bit far from school and drive. If I buy the parking permit, would I be able to park near the law school? Thanks!
Yes- there's a parking lot (Underhill) a few blocks from the law school. It tends to fill up at some point (around 10:45-11am) and you'll end up circling for awhile until people leave again. You should be good to go as long as you get there before 10am and can easily find spots again in the afternoon. There's just a weird mid-day period where it's pretty tricky to find a spot.

masterz

Post by masterz » Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am

sdancer89 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm
masterz wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:42 pm
Yes- there's a parking lot (Underhill) a few blocks from the law school. It tends to fill up at some point (around 10:45-11am) and you'll end up circling for awhile until people leave again. You should be good to go as long as you get there before 10am and can easily find spots again in the afternoon. There's just a weird mid-day period where it's pretty tricky to find a spot.
Thank you!

gayfish

Post by gayfish » Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 am

Do you feel like you have similar opportunities at Berkeley as HYS students do? I got a feeler call from Harvard about getting off the waitlist, but am really in love with Berkeley (and it's near home, and where I want to settle). Do you think better opportunities at HYS are worth living somewhere I'm pretty meh about, away from family and friends, or would Berkeley still get me to a similar place? My heart is in Berkeley, but I don't want to regret giving up HLS if it's going to really make a difference in my career. Looking to do impact lit, and possibly clerk.

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm

gayfish wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 am
Do you feel like you have similar opportunities at Berkeley as HYS students do? I got a feeler call from Harvard about getting off the waitlist, but am really in love with Berkeley (and it's near home, and where I want to settle). Do you think better opportunities at HYS are worth living somewhere I'm pretty meh about, away from family and friends, or would Berkeley still get me to a similar place? My heart is in Berkeley, but I don't want to regret giving up HLS if it's going to really make a difference in my career. Looking to do impact lit, and possibly clerk.
I have some friends at HYS and I will say that more or less we have the same opportunities, especially in the Bay Area. Berkeley is really well respected in CA, but outside of CA, those schools probably have more pull. Ultimately, reaching your career goals will probably depend on how you perform at either school and not which school you attend.

gayfish

Post by gayfish » Fri May 11, 2018 1:41 pm

dietcoke wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm
gayfish wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 am
I have some friends at HYS and I will say that more or less we have the same opportunities, especially in the Bay Area. Berkeley is really well respected in CA, but outside of CA, those schools probably have more pull. Ultimately, reaching your career goals will probably depend on how you perform at either school and not which school you attend.
Thanks, that's very helpful!

amcjv12

Post by amcjv12 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Any input on how Boalt places in DC? I'm looking at doing PI, and I'm interested in how well a Berkeley degree speaks over in the East.

dietcoke

Post by dietcoke » Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 pm

amcjv12 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm
Any input on how Boalt places in DC? I'm looking at doing PI, and I'm interested in how well a Berkeley degree speaks over in the East.
Can't speak to long-term positions as well, but Berkeley places well in DC for 1L summer positions. Berkeley is well-respected in DC and NY there are just fewer students/grads over there than the West Coast. Not as big of an alumni market to tap into, but that doesn't seem to be a real problem.

uncivil_procedure

Post by uncivil_procedure » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 am

Bump now that mods have been released. Do any current students have any opinions of/advice for the following professors?

Civ Pro (A. Bradt)
Torts (P. Schwartz)
Crim (S. Mohamed)
LRW (P. Plunkett Hurley)

urmlaw18

Post by urmlaw18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 pm

What are your thoughts on the student affairs support office if any?

triplem

Post by triplem » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 pm

uncivil_procedure wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 am
Bump now that mods have been released. Do any current students have any opinions of/advice for the following professors?

Civ Pro (A. Bradt)
Torts (P. Schwartz)
Crim (S. Mohamed)
LRW (P. Plunkett Hurley)
Seconded (different mod but some overlap).

Stay alive RBG

Post by Stay alive RBG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi all,

Karen Tani is visiting Columbia for the semester and I have her for Torts - any reviews/advice?

Thanks!

NukinFutz

Post by NukinFutz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Current 1L at Berkeley Law here. Happy to assist admits in any way I can!

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:40 am

Has anyone had McCrary for corporations/know someone who has? He's visiting CLS this semester and I'd love an outline for his Corp class. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

BestWestNest

Post by BestWestNest » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 am

Could anyone recommend hornbooks and/or commercial OLs for the following classes?

Property (Narechania)
Civil Procedure (Fisk)
Torts (Syed)