THE Sacred LSL Admissions Decision Ashram

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
lemareschal

Re: THE Sacred LSL Admissions Decision Ashram

Post by lemareschal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:40 am

Thank you for the reply! As I said, anything serviceable by a non-biglaw salary would be fine with me; I would be uncomfortable taking out so much that I could only hope to pay it off with a job I'm not guaranteed, so around 100k is doable, but 300k isn't. There is also a chance I get some amount of help, but I don't want to plan or expect it. In regards to your last sentence in the first paragraph, is that essentially balancing debt vs going to Irvine with a lesser chance at biglaw?

It's not that I would flat out not consider any of the T14, but with my low numbers (96 percentile lol), I thought the only shot I would have would be would be Cornell because I do not think I would be successful on the East Coast (leaving the CA sun for NY blizzards did not go well the first time around). I don't want to waste time or $$, but any chance at increasing a scholarship would be well worth the investment. Assuming no LSAT increase (I haven't yet decided if I will try to retake), which would be worth throwing apps to?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 am

Northwestern, Michigan, Cornell, and GULC are the best targets/negotiating chips.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:42 am

And Berkeley, can’t believe I forgot Berkeley. They’re a bit more of a long shot with their black box admissions, but it’s definitely worth a shot since you want CA.

lemareschal

Post by lemareschal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Got it, thank you. Still struggling with the decision to retake or not, but the advice to apply to a few more schools is definitely helpful (as of right now I am saying no, but am constantly going back and forth). Any thoughts on UC Irvine for setting somebody up with a solid career in law (even if it only gives an outside shot at biglaw).

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:41 pm

UCI is a fine school that is more or less on par, possibly slightly less, with USC/UCLA in LA. For the right price, it can be a good option.

lemareschal

Post by lemareschal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Good to know. I was hoping to hear that because my GPA is far more competitive there. Biglaw isn't a necessity, in fact I don't think I would enjoy most of it, but I am attracted to the financial stability. One of the primary reasons I am looking at a new career is I want to make enough to comfortably raise a family and I don't think my current employment provides that. I would be fine with a law job in the lower 6 figure range (not necessarily starting there), but I know that salaries are bimodal hence my wanting to keep the biglaw door open because graduating with a law degree just to make 50k would be a loss even if I got a full ride because of the lost income. (as you can see I am trying to rationalize not retaking...)

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 pm

lemareschal wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Good to know. I was hoping to hear that because my GPA is far more competitive there. Biglaw isn't a necessity, in fact I don't think I would enjoy most of it, but I am attracted to the financial stability. One of the primary reasons I am looking at a new career is I want to make enough to comfortably raise a family and I don't think my current employment provides that. I would be fine with a law job in the lower 6 figure range (not necessarily starting there), but I know that salaries are bimodal hence my wanting to keep the biglaw door open because graduating with a law degree just to make 50k would be a loss even if I got a full ride because of the lost income. (as you can see I am trying to rationalize not retaking...)
I had an upward trend with my practice scores and got a 163 (in line with my most recent PT prior to the test). Instead of retaking I went through the cycle with that, and went to my preferred school, and had $175k debt after capitalized interest. I'm in biglaw and pay $2k/month on standard repayment. It's really annoying to have such a big chunk of money go out the door every month. If I could have reduced my debt to even below $150k it would be a few hundred bucks a month I'd be keeping.

These are real dollars and cents, and absolutely affect your ability to start and raise a family. If you think there's a chance you can score higher, you're leaving serious money on the table if you don't try.

lemareschal

Post by lemareschal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Thank you for the perspective. Regardless of what happens, that possibility definitely has me thinking long and hard about taking out loans at a place like UCLA or USC just to get a chance at biglaw. Unfortunately, the drop off seems pretty quick after Irvine for SoCal schools so I don't know if I'll have too many options.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:32 pm

My responses have been straight and to the point here, but I want to make something clear: retaking only has one downside: your time in preparing for September. When juxtaposed against the potentially huge upside of bigger scholarships, every hour you spend finding your weaknesses on the LSAT could be worth thousands of dollars in saved tuition, fees, and interest over a decade of repayments. Targeting USC or UCLA or UCI is generally good when you want southern CA, but targeting USC/UCLA/UCI for free or close to it is much, much better. Worst case scenario is you don't improve on the LSAT, and you're still exactly where you are now, and you have some solace that the schools you're shooting for could still well be options. It's a high floor, high ceiling kind of bet, and that kind of bet you always make, especially when all it costs you is some time studying for one stupid test.

lemareschal

Post by lemareschal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:44 pm

As a result of this thread I will dust off the books (fortunately they aren't that dusty) and get going planning on retaking in September. Thank you for the last post, that's what pushed me over the edge. As I've told a number of friends, in some ways a 168 was a rough score because any lower and retaking would be easy and much higher wouldn't require a retake at all. If I'm not pting solidly in the 170s, I probably won't sit for September (November is an option, but that might create issues with USC since they won't look at my app as long as I am registered for the LSAT), but as you've put, nothing to lose but my time.

PhDtoLaw

Post by PhDtoLaw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 am

Hello there! This is my first time posting here.

I’m going to be applying in this upcoming cycle. I’m 3.5/172. I want to do IP biglaw out of law school, and maybe go in-house later down the road. I’m in grad school right now, and so my big soft is that I’ll have a chemistry PhD by the time I start law school. I also have an interesting life story to write about in my PS, and I worked a lot during undergrad.

My legal education will be entirely debt-financed, minus any scholarships that I recieve. There won’t be any family contribution. If there really is need-based aid available anywhere, then I will likely qualify for it. I have about $100k in debt from undergrad.

I think I want to apply to the NU ED program. NU is a great school, and I like the area. I wouldn’t mind living in Chicago afterwards. If I got their ED scholarship, then I estimate that I would finish with $200-250k in total debt, which seems like an amount that I would potentially be able to pay off in ten years.

LSN suggests that Duke and Michigan also sometimes give money to people with my numbers, although the specific amounts seem to vary a lot, especially at Duke. Nonetheless, I will definitely get less money from both Duke and Michigan than I get from NU ED, which means that I will probably finish with about $300-350k in total debt. I could probably pay this off with a 20-year repayment plan.

LSN also suggests that I have a shot at being admitted to Columbia, UVA, Penn, NYU, and Cornell. However, I’d likely be paying sticker at all of those, which means that my debt would approach $450k. That’s so large that I suspect I would never be able to pay it off. I would have all federal loans, and so I could rely on IBR and 25-year loan forgiveness to protect me, but I’m not totally confident that those programs will be around when I finish law school. In any case, I’d prefer to be able to actually pay off my debt.

Are the slightly better employment outcomes reported at Duke or Michigan worth the extra $100k in debt that I would incur? And is there really any significant need-based aid available at Penn or Columbia? Am I under- or over-estimating my chances for admission or scholarships? Is there anything else I'm missing, or that I should consider?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies! 8-)

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am

PhDtoLaw wrote:
I'm not sure you're competitive for Northwestern ED, but given your numbers, there's very little risk in applying to it. You're something of a mild splitter, so you should take to heart the three basic pieces of advice all splitters should get: apply early (you sound like you're in a good position to do that), apply broadly (I'll get to this in its own paragraph), and apply to Wash U (they're likely to offer you a great scholarship, which could be something to consider in your final decision). The early application is critical: most schools have a documented pattern of making better offers to applicants within the first couple months, and the results skew even more dramatically for splitters. Day 1 isn't critical, but with what we've heard about heavy deferral rates this year, I'd go ahead and get your application materials in shape now.

As to where to apply, myLSN shows admissions from Harvard on down with your numbers. Splitter cycles are unpredictable, so you want to maximize your chances for someone to give you a great result. You're carrying a lot of undergrad debt, and targeting biglaw, so I wouldn't dip below USC (below that point, schools become less reliable at placing 40% or more into biglaw and federal clerkships, though BU, BC, ND, Fordham, and Irvine have shown they can). If you want to stick to solid bets for admission, you might choose to save a few application fees and leave off Harvard, Chicago, Berkeley (but I'd leave it on with your interest in IP), and Penn. If you're concerned with making sure your school gives you 50% or better odds at biglaw, you're looking at the classic T14 plus Vanderbilt (which has recently seen a dramatic improvement in placement numbers). Your PhD and interest in patent law will help you, if your grades are good enough, but it does become something of a risk outside those fifteen schools. Seventeen applications wouldn't be horrible (I sent eighteen), but you can probably get what you're looking for with a few less.

Good luck!

PhDtoLaw

Post by PhDtoLaw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 am

Stranger wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am
Thanks for your reply, Stranger!

I have to say, my heart dropped when you said that I might not be competitive for NU ED. I only thought I was because of this, but maybe that sample is not representative. I'd really like to go to NU, though.

I'm definitely going to apply early, and apply to WashU and Vanderbilt. Honestly, I would be happy to go to either of those schools. I wasn't planning to apply to Harvard, Chicago or Berkeley, because it looks like I couldn't really afford to go to any of them even if I was admitted. If I get application fee waivers, I might go ahead and apply, just to see where I'd get in. I'm not thrilled about the idea of leaving law school with almost half a million bucks in loans, however.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am

PhDtoLaw wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 am
Stranger wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Stranger!

I have to say, my heart dropped when you said that I might not be competitive for NU ED. I only thought I was because of this, but maybe that sample is not representative. I'd really like to go to NU, though.

I'm definitely going to apply early, and apply to WashU and Vanderbilt. Honestly, I would be happy to go to either of those schools. I wasn't planning to apply to Harvard, Chicago or Berkeley, because it looks like I couldn't really afford to go to any of them even if I was admitted. If I get application fee waivers, I might go ahead and apply, just to see where I'd get in. I'm not thrilled about the idea of leaving law school with almost half a million bucks in loans, however.
It's really hard to say with the ED programs. Even looking at that prodigious number of years, your sample size is eight. Looking at last year only, there are thirteen ED applicants to Northwestern (on LSN) with your numbers or worse. Three were accepted, none of whom dipped more than .1 GPA or 1 LSAT lower than you. You also didn't mention work experience, which Northwestern places a premium on. Basically, you're the fringe of acceptance, and if their strategy shifts, you could find yourself on the wrong side of that line. I got burned by shifting strategies this cycle as a super splitter (formerly reliable admits became waitlists), so I have to be straight with you that it happens. But you should still apply ED to Northwestern.

PhDtoLaw

Post by PhDtoLaw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 am

Stranger wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am
PhDtoLaw wrote:
Stranger wrote:
Got it. I do have work experience and ties to the area, but it does look like I might otherwise be borderline for their ED. Thanks for preemptively crushing my dreams. I'll apply to NU ED and hope for the best!

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 am

PhDtoLaw wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 am
Stranger wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am
PhDtoLaw wrote:
Stranger wrote:
Got it. I do have work experience and ties to the area, but it does look like I might otherwise be borderline for their ED. Thanks for preemptively crushing my dreams. I'll apply to NU ED and hope for the best!
I've been a bit absent over the past few days, but I'll respond to your entire inquiry soon. I have some additional insight on your desire to enter into patent law that could be relevant.

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:13 pm

This thread seems to be mainly making choices when choosing a law school, but I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in with my own question. I am really, really aiming to get as close to a full ride somewhere as I can. My reason is that my girlfriend of a very long time will be applying to veterinary school at the same time that I apply to law school. Vet school is a boatload of $$$ and I'd rather not add my own debt on top of that. I have $0 debt from undergrad (yay city colleges!) and I'd just like to think about what schools I should REALLY be targeting (i.e. visiting as soon as the school year starts, applying to specific scholarships, etc).

So, without further ado, here you go:

-The schools you are considering - Mainly looking at T14 + Vanderbilt right now.
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. - Looking for as close to a full ride as possible.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings - All loans.
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any) - From NYC, willing to work in major cities.
-Your general career goals - Big Law -> Government.
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers - 172 (Retaking this in July)/4.1.
-How many times you have taken the LSAT - Once, taking again in two weeks.
-How you're currently employed and whether you'll be giving up a salary/other opportunity cost - K-JD but have interned every summer throughout college and have a named scholarship from Skadden.

Hope this question isn't totally out of place -- thanks 2B (any anyone who wants to chime in)! My entire application is pretty much done except for revisions and edits so I plan to apply as soon as applications open.

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 pm

I don't have UVA2B's level of expertise, but my guess is with a 4.1 and a 172 you have an excellent shot at a full ride or close in the T14. I'd blanket the entire T14 with apps (you should get fee waivers to most anyways). Law school admissions are mostly a numbers game, but things can still be pretty unpredictable so you'll want to cast a wide net. It will also be useful to have lots of offers in hand for scholarship negotiation. If you apply early and broadly I think you have pretty great chances though. Good luck!

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I'd also just echo the common wisdom that if you're K-JD you might want to wait a couple of years to apply. Your LSAT and GPA aren't going anywhere and a few years of work experience will help make you a more competitive candidate and help you decide if law is really what you want to do.

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Hey_Everybody wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm
I'd also just echo the common wisdom that if you're K-JD you might want to wait a couple of years to apply. Your LSAT and GPA aren't going anywhere and a few years of work experience will help make you a more competitive candidate and help you decide if law is really what you want to do.
Hey, thank you for the advice! I've thought about the gap year/no gap year a lot and have ultimately decided not to unless my cycle ends up not going the way I want it to because of a few family & personal reasons. Plus, no idea what the law school admissions game will look like in a few years with the GRE and possible increased applicants and all. Really appreciate the advice though.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 pm

PhDtoLaw wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 am
Hello there! This is my first time posting here.

I’m going to be applying in this upcoming cycle. I’m 3.5/172. I want to do IP biglaw out of law school, and maybe go in-house later down the road. I’m in grad school right now, and so my big soft is that I’ll have a chemistry PhD by the time I start law school. I also have an interesting life story to write about in my PS, and I worked a lot during undergrad.

My legal education will be entirely debt-financed, minus any scholarships that I recieve. There won’t be any family contribution. If there really is need-based aid available anywhere, then I will likely qualify for it. I have about $100k in debt from undergrad.

I think I want to apply to the NU ED program. NU is a great school, and I like the area. I wouldn’t mind living in Chicago afterwards. If I got their ED scholarship, then I estimate that I would finish with $200-250k in total debt, which seems like an amount that I would potentially be able to pay off in ten years.

LSN suggests that Duke and Michigan also sometimes give money to people with my numbers, although the specific amounts seem to vary a lot, especially at Duke. Nonetheless, I will definitely get less money from both Duke and Michigan than I get from NU ED, which means that I will probably finish with about $300-350k in total debt. I could probably pay this off with a 20-year repayment plan.

LSN also suggests that I have a shot at being admitted to Columbia, UVA, Penn, NYU, and Cornell. However, I’d likely be paying sticker at all of those, which means that my debt would approach $450k. That’s so large that I suspect I would never be able to pay it off. I would have all federal loans, and so I could rely on IBR and 25-year loan forgiveness to protect me, but I’m not totally confident that those programs will be around when I finish law school. In any case, I’d prefer to be able to actually pay off my debt.

Are the slightly better employment outcomes reported at Duke or Michigan worth the extra $100k in debt that I would incur? And is there really any significant need-based aid available at Penn or Columbia? Am I under- or over-estimating my chances for admission or scholarships? Is there anything else I'm missing, or that I should consider?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies! 8-)
Back in the saddle again!

Thank you for your detailed description of your considerations in entering law school. Stranger basically covered the LSN/stats/scholarship stuff that could/should be relevant if you decide to just apply to the top schools. As noted, you should apply broadly in the T14 plus a few regionals where you'd consider ending up to cover your bases. It's possible you could get a full ride in the T14, or you could reasonably decide to go to the regional school on a full ride if you didn't get one in the T14 for reasons I'll outline below. But what you will want most is options.

From the way you've described your situation, you're still finishing your chem PhD. When will that be complete, and when will you be apply to law school? If you complete your dissertation and defense and get your PhD, you may consider an alternative path to just applying to law school and taking on a bunch of debt. The reality is you're a relative rarity in the patent world because you have a chem PhD and you're interested in becoming a patent attorney. You could consider applying to firms that employ technical specialists (tech specs in common parlance), which are most of the bigger IP firms and a few general practice firms. In that case, you could get hired to start doing patent prosecution work for a firm, get paid to do so, and have an in at those firms when you potentially transition to being a student associate (which is basically a half-associate, half-law student hybrid), and then becoming an associate at that firm when you graduate from law school. That would mean targeting law schools in regions that have major IP firms, and possibly considering going to a law school that offers a part-time program so you can transition seamlessly from being a tech spec to being a student associate, summer associate, and associate when you graduate.

If you're going to go straight into a full-time program, target the T14 and regionals that interest you, and realize that your value in the patent world will allow you to slide down the prestige scale of law schools slightly, because patent groups LOVE PhDs, especially in chem and biochem. You absolutely should limit your law school debt, and absolutely focus on doing well in law school regardless, but your credentials in the patent world will be coveted if you sell them right. Don't pay extra money to go to CLS at full price or [insert school] for a ton of debt if you have good options that are relatively cheaper. You seem to fully appreciate debt, but I wanted to give you some confidence that your PhD can play a big factor in your law school choice because it will play a big factor in getting the first job you want.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Lankhs wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:13 pm
This thread seems to be mainly making choices when choosing a law school, but I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in with my own question. I am really, really aiming to get as close to a full ride somewhere as I can. My reason is that my girlfriend of a very long time will be applying to veterinary school at the same time that I apply to law school. Vet school is a boatload of $$$ and I'd rather not add my own debt on top of that. I have $0 debt from undergrad (yay city colleges!) and I'd just like to think about what schools I should REALLY be targeting (i.e. visiting as soon as the school year starts, applying to specific scholarships, etc).

So, without further ado, here you go:

-The schools you are considering - Mainly looking at T14 + Vanderbilt right now.
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. - Looking for as close to a full ride as possible.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings - All loans.
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any) - From NYC, willing to work in major cities.
-Your general career goals - Big Law -> Government.
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers - 172 (Retaking this in July)/4.1.
-How many times you have taken the LSAT - Once, taking again in two weeks.
-How you're currently employed and whether you'll be giving up a salary/other opportunity cost - K-JD but have interned every summer throughout college and have a named scholarship from Skadden.

Hope this question isn't totally out of place -- thanks 2B (any anyone who wants to chime in)! My entire application is pretty much done except for revisions and edits so I plan to apply as soon as applications open.
I'm not exactly sure what your question is here. Are you asking how to get a full ride/limit debt as a K-JD? If you're looking for full rides, your numbers SCREAM middle T14 schools with compelling narratives for them, because they may yield protect if you're not selling your interest in the schools. MVPD and below are your best bets to potentially get named scholarships, but you should still be applying to the entire T14 for negotiations and understanding named scholarships are unpredictable. You might get a Vanderbilt, a Darrow, a Mordecai, etc., and you might have more than one. Or you might not get any, depending on how well you navigate the nuances of personalizing your applications for those schools.

You're in a fantastic spot to get a good option at a great cost, relatively speaking. Apply broadly, personalize your applications to the individual schools as best you can (don't write individual PS for each school, but definitely make sure it reads genuinely to the very smart admissions officers who are reading your application), and be ready to work in both negotiating merit scholarships and maturely discerning what aspects of a school really matter to you and how you best accomplish your goals from that school. Little debt is a wonderful thing, but if it's not combined with a good idea of what you want to do/where you want to do it, you're only dealing with half of the important equation as I appreciate it.

Anyway, I hope this helps (and, as a throwaway, I'd like to reiterate that spending a few years not in academia would do wonders, but I'm not one to rehash things that have already been said too much).

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 am

UVA2B wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 pm

I'm not exactly sure what your question is here. Are you asking how to get a full ride/limit debt as a K-JD? If you're looking for full rides, your numbers SCREAM middle T14 schools with compelling narratives for them, because they may yield protect if you're not selling your interest in the schools. MVPD and below are your best bets to potentially get named scholarships, but you should still be applying to the entire T14 for negotiations and understanding named scholarships are unpredictable. You might get a Vanderbilt, a Darrow, a Mordecai, etc., and you might have more than one. Or you might not get any, depending on how well you navigate the nuances of personalizing your applications for those schools.

You're in a fantastic spot to get a good option at a great cost, relatively speaking. Apply broadly, personalize your applications to the individual schools as best you can (don't write individual PS for each school, but definitely make sure it reads genuinely to the very smart admissions officers who are reading your application), and be ready to work in both negotiating merit scholarships and maturely discerning what aspects of a school really matter to you and how you best accomplish your goals from that school. Little debt is a wonderful thing, but if it's not combined with a good idea of what you want to do/where you want to do it, you're only dealing with half of the important equation as I appreciate it.

Anyway, I hope this helps (and, as a throwaway, I'd like to reiterate that spending a few years not in academia would do wonders, but I'm not one to rehash things that have already been said too much).
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head regarding the question. My bad for not phrasing it better. Thank you for your advice. Looks like I'm going to be planning some multiple hour bus rides down to Durham and Charlottesville in September, yikes.

PhDtoLaw

Post by PhDtoLaw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:12 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 pm
PhDtoLaw wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 am
Hello there!
Back in the saddle again!
Thank you for the advice! I'm planning to finish my PhD this spring, and so that's why I'm applying in this upcoming cycle.

I have heard that many or most people become patent agents before they are patent attorneys. I've even heard that law firms sometimes help offset the cost of tuition, although I'm not sure how common that is these days. I was actually just chatting today with a local patent attorney who took that route.

In my case, I figured that I would probably want to go to law school eventually anyway, and so I'd rather front-load it rather than drawing out the process. Also, I know from experience that my grades tend to suffer when I'm working, and so I think that doing law school first would result in better grades. I guess the tradeoff of doing it this way is that I won't have a guaranteed job upon graduation, and I won't have any assistance with the tuition. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, thanks again for your perspective :) Looks like I should indeed try to ED to NU, if they'll have me.