Columbia Students Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Bearlyalive

Re: Columbia Students Taking Questions

Post by Bearlyalive » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:48 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:14 pm
Apologies if this has already been asked, but what's the class schedule look like for 1L fall semester in terms of class times? Are there 8:00am classes? (I realize this may vary by section but just want to get an idea of my own worst case scenario. I am not a morning person.)
I don’t recall any 8:00am classes during 1L, but it’s within the realm of possibility (especially if a class is taught by a judge, who may need to go to work after class ends). Usually 9:10am is the standard, and you’ll be done every day by 4:10 (excepting LPW). Fall will have 3 courses, and spring 4 courses.

jean_nicot

Post by jean_nicot » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:14 pm
Apologies if this has already been asked, but what's the class schedule look like for 1L fall semester in terms of class times? Are there 8:00am classes? (I realize this may vary by section but just want to get an idea of my own worst case scenario. I am not a morning person.)
course list is up, filter by "foundation curriculum" to see 1L classes

https://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/search

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Oh damn CLS added legreg as a required class for c/o 2021 and beyond. sux

https://www.law.columbia.edu/academic-r ... class-2021

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Incoming 1Ls - for the orientation schedule, if no dress code is stated (except for Tuesday evening), does that mean it’s fine to dress casual? E.g. appropriate sun dress for a girl

jean_nicot

Post by jean_nicot » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Sloansabbith24 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm
Incoming 1Ls - for the orientation schedule, if no dress code is stated (except for Tuesday evening), does that mean it’s fine to dress casual? E.g. appropriate sun dress for a girl
yea just wear normal clothes nobody cares

SpikeSeagull

Post by SpikeSeagull » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

Anyone ever cross-registered for a course? Do you have to pay the per credit cost of doing so? The website says law students are responsible for all fees associated with cross-registering, but I'm not sure what that means... and am not going to cross-register if it'll cost me an extra $6K.

Update: I emailed the registrar and they confirmed that law students are not charged on a per class basis.
Last edited by SpikeSeagull on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tastingmenu

Post by tastingmenu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:52 pm

I've used PCs all my life. I need to buy a new laptop for law school, and I'm seeing alot of advice to buy a Mac. I've never used a Mac and don't have a good handle of the Mac OS, which I'm worried will slow me down in school. However, I know that PC laptops may have more issues with crashing running the exam software. Am I at an increased risk for exam crashing with a PC?

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:08 pm

tastingmenu wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:52 pm
I've used PCs all my life. I need to buy a new laptop for law school, and I'm seeing alot of advice to buy a Mac. I've never used a Mac and don't have a good handle of the Mac OS, which I'm worried will slow me down in school. However, I know that PC laptops may have more issues with crashing running the exam software. Am I at an increased risk for exam crashing with a PC?
I’d say a 5% increased risk of crashes with like a 0.05% increase in risk with it affecting anything. The software backs up and most the time you just resume after a restart. I used a Mac and had a crash once. Lost nothing. So stick to pc if that’s what you prefer

Stay alive RBG

Post by Stay alive RBG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Best dry cleaning place? I'm on 111th

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Just got my schedule and I have Legal Methods MTWRF twice a day? Is that a glitch?

Stay alive RBG

Post by Stay alive RBG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Sloansabbith24 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my schedule and I have Legal Methods MTWRF twice a day? Is that a glitch?
It is not a glitch - legal methods is just until labor day though (not during regular semester)

ss108

Post by ss108 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 pm

O THANK GOD

So where do people typically buy textbooks--a combination of Amazon and the Columbia bookstore?

orientulmo

Post by orientulmo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:43 am

ss108 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 pm
O THANK GOD

So where do people typically buy textbooks--a combination of Amazon and the Columbia bookstore?
Related: is it okay to get an older edition of the textbook for courses like legal methods (or in general)? Quite pricy for a two week course.

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 am

orientulmo wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:43 am
ss108 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 pm
O THANK GOD

Related: is it okay to get an older edition of the textbook for courses like legal methods (or in general)? Quite pricy for a two week course.
Yeah, reluctant to pay full price for this, what is a good platform to get them from upperclassmen? Surely folks would want to sell their Legal Methods books

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 am

LM, I think at least one prof says you can use older edition, but you should check first. Either way, do NOT pay full price for LM book. It's like a 10 day class now, so either read out of a friends book, read out of the reserve copy at the library, or just scan your 10 days of reading at the library (free). It's a credit/no credit class, literally nothing to worry about it.

For other classes, don't use old editions. either buy through the columbia facebook groups, buy discounted online, scan and print from the library, or in the worst case buy online if brand new and cant find anything used.

orientulmo

Post by orientulmo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:29 am

Kümmel wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 am
LM, I think at least one prof says you can use older edition, but you should check first. Either way, do NOT pay full price for LM book. It's like a 10 day class now, so either read out of a friends book, read out of the reserve copy at the library, or just scan your 10 days of reading at the library (free). It's a credit/no credit class, literally nothing to worry about it.

For other classes, don't use old editions. either buy through the columbia facebook groups, buy discounted online, scan and print from the library, or in the worst case buy online if brand new and cant find anything used.
Thank you for the reply! Glad i asked before buying the LM books.

thegrandbudapest1

Post by thegrandbudapest1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Do they take attendance during the orientation workshops? Bad timing but I have international family visiting me during orientation and after looking at the schedule I really wouldn’t mind skipping diversity & inclusion and academic integrity workshops to have a goodbye lunch with them...
Last edited by thegrandbudapest1 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Unless they changed it there was one or two required attendance things but even if you missed it there were future ones that you could make it up at

thegrandbudapest1

Post by thegrandbudapest1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Since I have my priorities straight haha - do students go into the city for drinks/Bar Review at all? I ask because I’m living downtown and already have to miss out on a lot of night time socializing that’s near campus.

chroniwhatcles

Post by chroniwhatcles » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Do we actually need the bluebook? It’s listed as required for LPW but on the textbook resell sheet quite a few upperclassman listed it as “never opened”.

jean_nicot

Post by jean_nicot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 pm

chroniwhatcles wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm
Do we actually need the bluebook? It’s listed as required for LPW but on the textbook resell sheet quite a few upperclassman listed it as “never opened”.
for LPW, depends on how much your instructor cares about bluebooking - some care a lot, others just want your memos/briefs to be vaguely bluebooked while not sweating the smaller stuff. it's a pretty important skill to learn though (which is ridiculous, but such is the legal profession) so probably worth buying.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

chroniwhatcles wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm
The online version (you get free when you purchase the physical book) is very useful and easier to use than the physical book. I still use the online version in practice

Alexlee01

Post by Alexlee01 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:04 am

tinycatfriend wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:44 pm
Kümmel wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:03 pm
tinycatfriend wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:53 pm
Okay, my biggest question:

A lot of my friends (tbh, NYU students though) have harped on how toxic/competitive Columbia culture is. Is this just NYU propaganda or should I be legit concerned?
lol that's classic propaganda. honestly, CLS is no more/less competitive than other law schools. If anything, NYU is more competitive since they still have B-'s part of their mandatory curve
Building off that - I don't know much about law school curves - what's CLS's?

Law school grading is curved, but usually follows something a little bit different than the typical bell curve.

In law school, there will be a pre-determined median grade that is the same for every class in the school. This is what people are talking about when they say “grades at that school are curved to a B+”. That means a B+ is the median grade at that school.

Post by 1515 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Does anyone who had Jamal Greene for ConLaw and/or Heller for Property within the past couple years happen to have the syllabus for the class?

Thanks

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 am

Was housing discussed here?