Columbia Students Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Nebby

Re: Columbia Students Taking Questions

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am

yes

Saami

Post by Saami » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 pm

I know some Hamilton decisions came out today. If anyone granted a Hamilton is lurking here, congratulations! Feel free to ask me questions. I was in your position last year and it was a tough decision, at least for me, to choose the Hamilton over HYS.

chetobeto

Post by chetobeto » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi friends,

I was recently accepted and got an interview invite for the Richard Paul Richman Leadership Fellowship. Does anybody have any insight into the process? The email states that if selected we'll receive at least 65k distributed over the 3 years. Does this imply that you could get more money? As in a half scholarship or a full one or anything in between?

I'm just not sure if it says at least 65k, but in reality, all you get is 65k. I've tried to find info on this Fellowship but I couldn't find much on the internet.

I'm assuming this invite is probably easier to get than a Hamilton or a Butler. Maybe for people who they are considering giving some aid, but not want to give all of that $?

insidelet18

Post by insidelet18 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi all!

So what's the deal if we were accepted to Columbia but did not receive a Hamilton or Butler scholarship?

Do they consider giving a merit-based scholarship like other schools do? If so, does anyone know what that process is like (timeline, forms, negotiations)?

Thanks!

Post by 1515 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Yes, and sometimes the combo of merit and need scholarship they give can exceed Butler. Last cycle they were really really late with aid, it was bullshit.

nidoking

Post by nidoking » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:02 pm

1515 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:13 pm
Yes, and sometimes the combo of merit and need scholarship they give can exceed Butler. Last cycle they were really really late with aid, it was bullshit.
When you say really really late, do you mean even later than April (which is what it says on the "Financial Aid Timeline" on their website and already seems pretty damn late)? Seems kinda rough to be up so close against deposit deadlines like that without having any idea of their aid offer.

Post by 1515 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Yes, I got my aid package like less than 2 weeks before the deadline, IIRC. YMMV

strightning

Post by strightning » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 pm

The admitted student's handbook said that July 15 is the earliest we can move into housing, why would anyone want that if classes don't start until August and is there an extra cost for moving in around that time?

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 pm

strightning wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 pm
The admitted student's handbook said that July 15 is the earliest we can move into housing, why would anyone want that if classes don't start until August and is there an extra cost for moving in around that time?
Maybe some people want a month+ to move in or do whatever. It's a personal thing and just an option.

aegor

Post by aegor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 pm

I am matriculating this year after I deferred for a year. I had a couple of questions:

1) Is campus housing generally okay? I do not need anything fancy and being able to simply apply for conveniently-located housing rather than having to find housing on my own is appealing. That being said, if it is absolutely gross or otherwise uninhabitable or magnitudes more expensive than non-university housing, I could probably find something given the number of friends I have in the city.

2) I was awarded a Hamilton Fellowship and have to list areas of law or specific professors I would like to be my mentor. I do not currently have strong leanings into one area of law over another, so I am interested in knowing whether there are any particularly supportive, personable, or helpful professors that enjoy working with students. Or, if some other criterion for mentorship is more important, which professors may meet that.

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 pm

aegor wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 pm
I am matriculating this year after I deferred for a year. I had a couple of questions:

1) Is campus housing generally okay? I do not need anything fancy and being able to simply apply for conveniently-located housing rather than having to find housing on my own is appealing. That being said, if it is absolutely gross or otherwise uninhabitable or magnitudes more expensive than non-university housing, I could probably find something given the number of friends I have in the city.

2) I was awarded a Hamilton Fellowship and have to list areas of law or specific professors I would like to be my mentor. I do not currently have strong leanings into one area of law over another, so I am interested in knowing whether there are any particularly supportive, personable, or helpful professors that enjoy working with students. Or, if some other criterion for mentorship is more important, which professors may meet that.
1) Yes.
2) You’d really benefit more from listing a substantive area of law. All the professors I’ve had and interacted with are amazing, suppprtive, kind individuals who want to see us flourish. That said, I found myself gravitating more towards, and feeling like I got more out of, speaking with professors who were interested in things that I like. My contracts professor was so kind and thoughtful, but his law/Econ focus was not very me. My torts professor was brilliant, and her focus on the intersection of public health and risk allocation was my cup of tea. To answer your question-all professors, in my experience, are supportive, personable, and enjoy working with students. Just think more on what you might be interested in and say that.

aegor

Post by aegor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:45 am

Thank you for the prompt response! Campus housing seems to be in the cards, and I will try to narrow my interests to two or three areas for the purposes of mentorship.