Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
heythatslife

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by heythatslife » Mon May 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Avocat wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:38 am
Hey all- so I'm going to be deferring this year and working as an independent contractor. I need to do this for personal reasons and the deferral has already been approved. My question is in regards to financial aid. Given my parents' income, I should get full need based aid, I think. How much would I need to earn this year before it starts to cut out of my aid for next year? I expect to earn 30-40k, but could earn more if I work more hours. I wouldn't do this, though, if it would basically just come out of a future financial aid award. Any advice is helpful, thanks!!
If I remember correctly, when they evaluate your financial aid every cent of your personal saving is expected to go into your tuition. I wouldn't think it'd be any different when HLS re-evaluates 1L aid after a year of deferral. Don't work any overtime if you can help it, because it'll likely end up cutting into your aid dollar for dollar or close to it.

tomwatts

Post by tomwatts » Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 am

Note that HLS's website spells out the financial aid policy in detail. When I went in to SFS to ask about financial aid, they pulled up the website and looked up my questions there.

mxxvxc

Post by mxxvxc » Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am

Do PI-oriented students ever feel at a disadvantage being in Cambridge/Boston as opposed to bigger PI hubs like DC or NYC?

anon_E_mouse

Post by anon_E_mouse » Fri May 11, 2018 11:43 am

mxxvxc wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am
Do PI-oriented students ever feel at a disadvantage being in Cambridge/Boston as opposed to bigger PI hubs like DC or NYC?
I certainly haven't. Between the SPOs and the clinics, there is plenty of PI work to do here. The thing about PI is no matter where you are, there are going to be people that need help. And you can always go to DC/NYC for the summers if you care about getting the bigger name orgs on your resume.

CenterFringe

Post by CenterFringe » Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 pm

What is the parking situation/cost for students living at North Hall? Can you get a resident permit to park on the street?

I know I read something about this on the old site, but can't find anything on the LSL. Nor can I find good information on the Harvard Parking website, or the City of Cambridge website. Thanks for your help. (Although it doesn't affect me, if anyone can share information on parking at the other dorms I'm sure others would find it helpful)

Borges_and_barbells

Post by Borges_and_barbells » Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 pm

When will HLS decide upon a new seal or crest or whatever it's called?

nacogdoches

Post by nacogdoches » Tue May 15, 2018 12:25 am

Borges_and_barbells wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 pm
When will HLS decide upon a new seal or crest or whatever it's called?
John Manning's official line was, "We will think about replacing the seal at some future point.”

Source: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018 ... s-no-seal/

ptlgd17

Post by ptlgd17 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 pm

CenterFringe wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 pm
What is the parking situation/cost for students living at North Hall? Can you get a resident permit to park on the street?

I know I read something about this on the old site, but can't find anything on the LSL. Nor can I find good information on the Harvard Parking website, or the City of Cambridge website. Thanks for your help. (Although it doesn't affect me, if anyone can share information on parking at the other dorms I'm sure others would find it helpful)
As someone fiercely devoted to my car...parking is a pain. A resident permit is certainly possible, though if my memory holds, the permit requires that your car be registered in MA. As an out-of-stater, I decided not to go through that hassle. Campus parking options were pretty dang expensive, so I ultimately decided to rent an off-street spot from someone ($180/mo). You can probably ask around the class FB group to see if that yields anything; I found someone on Craigslist offering my spot right down the street from my apartment (oh yeah, I lived off-campus but I feel like all of this still holds). All sorts of people have parking spots included in their rent but don't have cars. I've been very okay with my situation, I've just venmo-ed the woman every month for the spot. A resident permit would certainly be more convenient for the sake of driving around Cambridge, but I typically just walk the city and use my car for trips and whatnot.

CenterFringe

Post by CenterFringe » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm

ptlgd17 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 pm
CenterFringe wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 pm

As someone fiercely devoted to my car...parking is a pain. A resident permit is certainly possible, though if my memory holds, the permit requires that your car be registered in MA. As an out-of-stater, I decided not to go through that hassle. Campus parking options were pretty dang expensive, so I ultimately decided to rent an off-street spot from someone ($180/mo). You can probably ask around the class FB group to see if that yields anything; I found someone on Craigslist offering my spot right down the street from my apartment (oh yeah, I lived off-campus but I feel like all of this still holds). All sorts of people have parking spots included in their rent but don't have cars. I've been very okay with my situation, I've just venmo-ed the woman every month for the spot. A resident permit would certainly be more convenient for the sake of driving around Cambridge, but I typically just walk the city and use my car for trips and whatnot.
Ouch. I am also quite devoted to having a car, and I don't see myself re-registering the car in Mass. Thanks for the advice, I'll ask around the FB group, I'm sure it won't be too hard.

HeedMyWarning

Post by HeedMyWarning » Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Cum laude with a 3.92.

tomwatts

Post by tomwatts » Tue May 22, 2018 9:27 am

HeedMyWarning wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Cum laude with a 3.92.
Fits the typical pattern of cum laude cutoff around 3.6-ish and magna cutoff just under 4.0.

unseamedprawn

Post by unseamedprawn » Tue May 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Avocat wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:38 am
Hey all- so I'm going to be deferring this year and working as an independent contractor. I need to do this for personal reasons and the deferral has already been approved. My question is in regards to financial aid. Given my parents' income, I should get full need based aid, I think. How much would I need to earn this year before it starts to cut out of my aid for next year? I expect to earn 30-40k, but could earn more if I work more hours. I wouldn't do this, though, if it would basically just come out of a future financial aid award. Any advice is helpful, thanks!!
Hey! I wanted to give you some real life numbers. Based on my parent's income, I qualified for full financial aid. I made $35,000 last year and I had $500 in savings and a retirement account with $4000. HLS calculated my expected contribution to be $3500 a year. I received the rest in grants and loans.

Borges_and_barbells

Post by Borges_and_barbells » Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Are Gropius beds long enough for someone who is 6 feet tall? they look pretty small in the photos.

theconsigliere

Post by theconsigliere » Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm
Are Gropius beds long enough for someone who is 6 feet tall? they look pretty small in the photos.
I’ve done it for two years and it’s not too bad

Goldie

Post by Goldie » Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 am

Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm
I'm like 6'2" and I also lived in Gropius for two years. It was fine.

hlsbound

Post by hlsbound » Sun May 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Last edited by hlsbound on Mon May 28, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftLion

Post by LeftLion » Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 am

I would greatly appreciate insight from someone familiar with Holmes 3. I got off the waitlist and am looking for a quiet dorm room. Many of the remaining rooms are either next to a lounge or stairwell. I was looking through old posts by tomwatts on TLS and it seems that Holmes 3 is quiet (top floor, no lounge). One downside is that you have to share a busy kitchen with Ames 3. However, that might be worth it for the quiet.

It would be great to hear from someone familiar with the situation in Holmes 3. Is it still a quiet place? Is it feasible to use Holmes 2 (kitchen) or Ames 3 for the kitchen and lounge? Also, how noisy are the bathrooms for the nearby rooms? Would someone two rooms away hear anything? What about four or five rooms away? I have heard that the walls are really thin in Gropius. I am trying to gauge what distance is close enough to be convenient but far enough to be quiet.

Finally, if you are on a lower floor, is there a lot of noise from the people walking on the floor above you? That was one of the reasons I was interested in a top floor, but I am wondering how much of an issue that really is.

Thanks in advance for the help!

theconsigliere

Post by theconsigliere » Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 am

LeftLion wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 am
I would greatly appreciate insight from someone familiar with Holmes 3. I got off the waitlist and am looking for a quiet dorm room. Many of the remaining rooms are either next to a lounge or stairwell. I was looking through old posts by tomwatts on TLS and it seems that Holmes 3 is quiet (top floor, no lounge). One downside is that you have to share a busy kitchen with Ames 3. However, that might be worth it for the quiet.

It would be great to hear from someone familiar with the situation in Holmes 3. Is it still a quiet place? Is it feasible to use Holmes 2 (kitchen) or Ames 3 for the kitchen and lounge? Also, how noisy are the bathrooms for the nearby rooms? Would someone two rooms away hear anything? What about four or five rooms away? I have heard that the walls are really thin in Gropius. I am trying to gauge what distance is close enough to be convenient but far enough to be quiet.

Finally, if you are on a lower floor, is there a lot of noise from the people walking on the floor above you? That was one of the reasons I was interested in a top floor, but I am wondering how much of an issue that really is.

I don’t know about Holmes 3 in particular, but Gropius generally is pretty quiet in my experience. You can sort of hear people if they’re talking in the hallway outside your door, but there isn’t a ton of traffic. I was right across the hall from a bathroom one year and I couldn’t hear anything when my door was closed. Also, in terms of convenience for bathrooms, most are single gender so you might have to go down a floor for the bathroom. I’ve never had to do that but it seems really inconvenient.

Kitchens have never been a problem for me. I lived on Ames 4 which shares the kitchen with Ames 3. It was rare that I wanted to use the kitchen and couldn’t. And when that kitchen was too busy, i used Holmes 2 which was never busy (in my experience). Ames 3 kitchen definitely is busier than Holmes 2.

Also, the worst thing about Gropius for me (and the top floors especially) was the temperature in August, early September, and again in late spring.

cranberrybog

Post by cranberrybog » Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi, all! Another new one off the WL. I'm looking around for housing now, and as someone who has lived in the 'real world' already for a couple of years the thought of going back to sleep in a twin bed, share a kitchen with an entire floor, and trek down a hallway with a shower caddy every time I need to take a shower seems really, truly, awful. Thus: I'm feeling an off-campus apartment. BUT, that being said, will I suffer from terrible FOMO when my classmates are hanging/partying in Gropius?

Tl;dr: Is there a strong social benefit to dorm living? Is it worth, y'know, dorm living?

Thanks!!

theconsigliere

Post by theconsigliere » Thu May 31, 2018 7:42 am

cranberrybog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 pm
Hi, all! Another new one off the WL. I'm looking around for housing now, and as someone who has lived in the 'real world' already for a couple of years the thought of going back to sleep in a twin bed, share a kitchen with an entire floor, and trek down a hallway with a shower caddy every time I need to take a shower seems really, truly, awful. Thus: I'm feeling an off-campus apartment. BUT, that being said, will I suffer from terrible FOMO when my classmates are hanging/partying in Gropius?

Tl;dr: Is there a strong social benefit to dorm living? Is it worth, y'know, dorm living?

Thanks!!
thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Answer: no.

LeftLion

Post by LeftLion » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am

theconsigliere wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 am
LeftLion wrote:

I don’t know about Holmes 3 in particular, but Gropius generally is pretty quiet in my experience. You can sort of hear people if they’re talking in the hallway outside your door, but there isn’t a ton of traffic. I was right across the hall from a bathroom one year and I couldn’t hear anything when my door was closed. Also, in terms of convenience for bathrooms, most are single gender so you might have to go down a floor for the bathroom. I’ve never had to do that but it seems really inconvenient.

Kitchens have never been a problem for me. I lived on Ames 4 which shares the kitchen with Ames 3. It was rare that I wanted to use the kitchen and couldn’t. And when that kitchen was too busy, i used Holmes 2 which was never busy (in my experience). Ames 3 kitchen definitely is busier than Holmes 2.

Also, the worst thing about Gropius for me (and the top floors especially) was the temperature in August, early September, and again in late spring.
Thank you so much! That is very helpful and a real relief. Thankfully, I am on a floor with a bathroom for the same gender as me.

How did you keep cool during the hot days? Did you buy a fan? Stick your head in the fridge?

Goldie

Post by Goldie » Thu May 31, 2018 12:53 pm

LeftLion wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am
How did you keep cool during the hot days? Did you buy a fan? Stick your head in the fridge?
You will absolutely not regret buying a fan.

cranberrybog

Post by cranberrybog » Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:42 am
cranberrybog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Thanks!!
thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Answer: no.
hahahaha thank goodness. glad my leading the witness there went nowhere. off campus it is

dm1683

Post by dm1683 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:20 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 am
LeftLion wrote:

Whew. I have a room near the kitchen on Holmes 2 and I was a bit worried about the noise level. Good to hear it's manageable.

tomwatts

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:21 am

Goldie wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:53 pm
LeftLion wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am
You will absolutely not regret buying a fan.
A really big one. There are small ones but they don't do anything.