Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
theconsigliere

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by theconsigliere » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:56 pm

ContigoMontoya wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm
Saami wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:39 pm
I've been offered $32,000 in grants which seems pretty good to me, but I'm nervous that Harvard will screw me over and drastically reduce it in my second and third years. Can any current student tell me if my fears have merit or not?
I came here to post this but with a slightly different number.
I got about the same first year. Now in my second year and I think I actually got slightly more this year. Year 3 after an SA is a different story - not sure yet, but I'm sure it'll be less

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:26 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:56 pm
ContigoMontoya wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm
Saami wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:39 pm
I've been offered $32,000 in grants which seems pretty good to me, but I'm nervous that Harvard will screw me over and drastically reduce it in my second and third years. Can any current student tell me if my fears have merit or not?
I came here to post this but with a slightly different number.
I got about the same first year. Now in my second year and I think I actually got slightly more this year. Year 3 after an SA is a different story - not sure yet, but I'm sure it'll be less
Yeah, I had a minimally paid 1L summer gig so the aid amount actually went up for 2L (because the nominal tuition ratchets up every year). After my 2L biglaw SA, can't recall the exact number but I think my aid wad reduced by about 10k.

legallybrunette

Post by legallybrunette » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm

If I'm the type of person who prefers studying at home (I can't concentrate in the library and I never once stepped foot in my undergrad library except for group projects) + I'm used to commuting for work, would it be advisable to live far-ish from HLS during 1L? By far-ish I mean a 15-20 commute or less including public transportation etc. Are the buses and trains reliable? Walking in the cold is not an issue for me. People close to me have expressed concern about me being in a loud dorm type setting or having more than one roommate because I'm realllllyyyy not a library/study in public kind of person. On the flip side, I might be able to study in the dorms like Gropius just fine (did this my freshman year of college but that was a long time ago) and it will help me socialize more as I'm naturally very introverted unless I'm forced into social situations. Any opinions?

Cannonballer

Post by Cannonballer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 pm

I have a 15 minute walk to campus (and also mainly study at home) and I think it's the perfect distance. That's not really a long enough distance for me to ever take public transit, but I'm pretty sure there's a bus I could take if I really wanted to. I really value the walk because it's time for me to listen to podcasts, talk on the phone, or just clear my head. Lots of people in my section live about that distance away or even further - a few live outside of Cambridge/Somerville but that is less common and usually because they are living with family. Of course, lots of people live in dorms or in buildings within a couple blocks of campus; it's pretty mixed in my section. I'm also pretty introverted and found myself forced into plenty of social situations so I wouldn't worry too much about that :)

legallybrunette

Post by legallybrunette » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Cannonballer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 pm
I have a 15 minute walk to campus (and also mainly study at home) and I think it's the perfect distance. That's not really a long enough distance for me to ever take public transit, but I'm pretty sure there's a bus I could take if I really wanted to. I really value the walk because it's time for me to listen to podcasts, talk on the phone, or just clear my head. Lots of people in my section live about that distance away or even further - a few live outside of Cambridge/Somerville but that is less common and usually because they are living with family. Of course, lots of people live in dorms or in buildings within a couple blocks of campus; it's pretty mixed in my section. I'm also pretty introverted and found myself forced into plenty of social situations so I wouldn't worry too much about that :)
Awesome! Thank you! Do you have roommates? And if so, how many? And how did you go about finding your place (HUH, realtor, craigslist)? A 15 minute walk sounds PERFECT to me, and I had to walk that distance to get to all my classes across campus in undergrad anyway (never took shuttles). I like walking!

Borges_and_barbells

Post by Borges_and_barbells » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:57 pm

How much money did you turn down at CCN?

Cannonballer

Post by Cannonballer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am

legallybrunette wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 pm
Cannonballer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 pm
Awesome! Thank you! Do you have roommates? And if so, how many? And how did you go about finding your place (HUH, realtor, craigslist)? A 15 minute walk sounds PERFECT to me, and I had to walk that distance to get to all my classes across campus in undergrad anyway (never took shuttles). I like walking!
I'm married so I live with my spouse and two dogs in a one bedroom. I looked a lot on Craigslist but ended up finding my place through one of the Harvard Graduate Housing facebook groups (put "harvard graduate student housing" or something like that into the fb search bar). There are several of them and people tend to post in late spring with openings either for roommates or for apartments. That worked out great for me because we were able to avoid a broker fee - but brokers can be helpful if you're struggling to nail something down on your own. As for roommates, most people I know either found a roommate or two at ASW (which definitely wouldn't have been my style since I was super shy at those) or through Craigslist.

I didn't look into HUH because their pet friendly units only allow one dog and I have two, but lots of people go that route. Those properties are definitely more expensive than others around, but I imagine they're managed pretty well (no idea if this is true).

pozzo

Post by pozzo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Cannonballer wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am
ended up finding my place through one of the Harvard Graduate Housing facebook groups (put "harvard graduate student housing" or something like that into the fb search bar).
thx for the pointer

otisredding24

Post by otisredding24 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 am

Anyone out there get in off the waitlist? When? Any tips?

Thanks!

starsmoons1

Post by starsmoons1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:20 pm

What is Harvard Law's culture? Cutthroat? Collegial? I was really drawn to UVA's friendly vibe & wonder about what it is like at Harvard (may not be able to visit). Also, what happens to those who get bad grades? Do they still do well after graduating? Concerned about it, too.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 pm

starsmoons1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:20 pm
What is Harvard Law's culture? Cutthroat? Collegial? I was really drawn to UVA's friendly vibe & wonder about what it is like at Harvard (may not be able to visit). Also, what happens to those who get bad grades? Do they still do well after graduating? Concerned about it, too.
Being a large school, it has its share of maladjusted persons but overall people are pretty collegial. I've also heard transfer students comment that HLS is definitely way less cutthroat than the schools they transferred from, and a lot of that has to do IMO with the fact that you can get straight Ps and would still likely end up with a market-paying biglaw job.

nubcs

Post by nubcs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 pm
starsmoons1 wrote:
Being a large school, it has its share of maladjusted persons but overall people are pretty collegial. I've also heard transfer students comment that HLS is definitely way less cutthroat than the schools they transferred from, and a lot of that has to do IMO with the fact that you can get straight Ps and would still likely end up with a market-paying biglaw job.
I agree. I imagine all the top schools are like this, because grades aren't as big of a stressor as at other schools. There are gunners, but I haven't seen or experienced anything even marginally cutthroat yet. The school wants to distance itself from its "Paper Chase" reputation of the past, and it seems like it's done a good job on that front.

As for jobs, everyone tells people that it's going to be fine, regardless of how you do, and that seems to be true.

anon_E_mouse

Post by anon_E_mouse » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:22 am

starsmoons1 wrote:
Culture: Generally agreeing that it's super collegial. It will definitely depend on your section a lot, but I think most sections are very friendly and supportive. FWIW, I'm friends with a lot of people who fall into traditional "gunner" categories -- the people with law review, shiney clerkships, Ames semifinalists, etc. -- and almost all are kind, friendly, helpful, etc.

Bad grades: Agree with the above commentators: You can get biglaw with straight Ps. (And I think generally you can also get yourself some sort of public interest job with straight Ps if that is your interest instead.) Yes, it will foreclose some of the more competitive outcomes (you'll probably not be getting the very top firms, a Skadden fellowship, a COA clerkship, etc.), but you won't be in serious risk of graduating without a job. I think that's part of why it's not cutthroat: the "worst" outcome is still so good that there's really no incentive to undermine other people.

chelsea4970

Post by chelsea4970 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:53 pm

If anyone on here got in off the WL could you please PM me? Looking for LOCI advice and would love to hear from someone who had success with theirs!

ContigoMontoya

Post by ContigoMontoya » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:43 am

Serious inquiry: for current students and alum, is there an argument for HLS being worth $80-100K over Chicago? (My current goals: NY/DC BigLaw in appellate litigation)

TripTrip

Post by TripTrip » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:04 am

ContigoMontoya wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:43 am
Serious inquiry: for current students and alum, is there an argument for HLS being worth $80-100K over Chicago? (My current goals: NY/DC BigLaw in appellate litigation)
It depends on how particular you are about that goal. With just NY Biglaw litigation, I'd take UHCI for $100k difference. If you really want DC and the better access to clerkships to do appeals, then Harvard will position you better.

Other factors as well, but that's the first that comes to mind.

Polarbr3

Post by Polarbr3 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:41 am

Hey all, I'm graduating from HLS and trying to find some folks to take over my apartment starting on 6/1. It's a really nice 3bd, 2ba apartment about a 15-minute walk from the law school. If you're interested, PM me for more details. Thanks!

rachelac

Post by rachelac » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 am

Do you think HLS would let me keep a 6 hour a week LSAT tutoring position in 1L?

Cannonballer

Post by Cannonballer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:56 pm

rachelac wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 am
Do you think HLS would let me keep a 6 hour a week LSAT tutoring position in 1L?
The only official rule that i'm aware of is that you don't work more than 20 hours a week so HLS won't stop you.

rachelac

Post by rachelac » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Cannonballer wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:56 pm
rachelac wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 am
The only official rule that i'm aware of is that you don't work more than 20 hours a week so HLS won't stop you.
Oh ok great!! Sorry, I swear I googled it and didn't see anything haha. Thanks for the information ☺️

Post by 62668788 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:34 pm

At ASW the Dean mentioned that 1L Winter Term was going to be subject to some kind of reform. From one presentation, I got the impression that PSW will be made optional and 1Ls will instead be allowed to take the Negotiation Workshop instead. Is this at all credited?

nacogdoches

Post by nacogdoches » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:51 pm

62668788 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:34 pm
At ASW the Dean mentioned that 1L Winter Term was going to be subject to some kind of reform. From one presentation, I got the impression that PSW will be made optional and 1Ls will instead be allowed to take the Negotiation Workshop instead. Is this at all credited?
Yeah, that's what is under review with the curriculum committee currently. There's been a good deal of pushback from students over the years questioning the utility of PSW, so it's nice that Manning is finally letting this change. However, I don't believe the alternative curricula for 1L winter term have been finalized yet.

Post by 62668788 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:11 pm

nacogdoches wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:51 pm
62668788 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:34 pm
Yeah, that's what is under review with the curriculum committee currently. There's been a good deal of pushback from students over the years questioning the utility of PSW, so it's nice that Manning is finally letting this change. However, I don't believe the alternative curricula for 1L winter term have been finalized yet.
Good to know. Thanks!

albinododobird

Post by albinododobird » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Context: I may be getting married in December.

Question: Does anyone have experience finding a housing arrangement for just the fall term? Given that I hope/expect to be married before the beginning of the winter term, I will want to find a different housing arrangement and live with my future wife at the beginning of next year. The sublet section on the Harvard Off-Campus Housing website looked promising. Would that be a good place to find something for just the semester?

anon_E_mouse

Post by anon_E_mouse » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Does anyone have a sense of where one needs to rank Adjudication to be sure to get it?