Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
heythatslife

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by heythatslife » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:12 pm

ChaimtheGreat wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:01 pm
Sorry if this is a repeat question, I went looking for it earlier in the thread but didn't see anything about food. What is the general consensus about food on campus? My understanding is that there is not a large meal plan available. Do people largely cook, buy food at the cafeteria, or get takeout? I know this will likely vary based on living space and budget, but I am just curious as to what past 1Ls have done. Thank you for your time!
You've kind of answered your own question - it varies by budget, living space and willingness to cook. Most people do lunch at the school on weekdays, either at the Hark or grabbing free food from some event or another, but you're mostly on your own for dinners and weekends (dinner options on campus aren't great). Some people I knew ate out/did takeouts almost exclusively, others cooked most of the time. If you learn how to cook in large batches, it's not more time-consuming than going out to eat every day, but obviously this is hard to do if you're in Gropius or Hastings.

Borges_and_barbells

Post by Borges_and_barbells » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Are the 1-bedroom suites in Hastings hard to get as a 1L?

Borges_and_barbells

Post by Borges_and_barbells » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Also, do y'all know how much HLS raised in the Campaign that ended this year? I know the other Harvard schools raised insane amounts of $, but haven't seen anything about HLS. I'm curious because a bumper campaign would mean good things for future students here.

hlsadmittedstudent

Post by hlsadmittedstudent » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi,

I was recently accepted to HLS, and I am pretty sure I'm going to commit. I was wondering if anyone had last year's Orientation schedule so I could see it? Just curious what orientation looks like there.

Thanks,

hlsadmit

Downy4in1

Post by Downy4in1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Can’t believe nobody here has asked the important question: Does HLS at any point send/deliver a free t-shirt or do I seriously have to buy my own?

CenterFringe

Post by CenterFringe » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am

Downy4in1 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm
Can’t believe nobody here has asked the important question: Does HLS at any point send/deliver a free t-shirt or do I seriously have to buy my own?
They don't send you one, although your section may choose to buy one with section funds. I'm not sure why you'd buy one for yourself, but as you get involved with affinity groups, activities etc. you'll tend to accumulate free Harvard Swag

OakBrook

Post by OakBrook » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Does registrar give some sort of warning before grades come out? It's been radio silence on our end but the rumor is that mid-late this week they're dropping

Quenton Cassidy

Post by Quenton Cassidy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:57 pm

OakBrook wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 pm
Does registrar give some sort of warning before grades come out? It's been radio silence on our end but the rumor is that mid-late this week they're dropping
The registrar will email at essentially the exact same time grades are posted. No need to keep refreshing helios; email will alert you. Also grades are usually posted right around noon whichever day they come out

OakBrook

Post by OakBrook » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Quenton Cassidy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:57 pm
OakBrook wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 pm
The registrar will email at essentially the exact same time grades are posted. No need to keep refreshing helios; email will alert you. Also grades are usually posted right around noon whichever day they come out
Thank you. That's makes things easier

Downy4in1

Post by Downy4in1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Does anyone know if MBB still actively recruits law students on campus? And does anyone know what it would generally take to get an interview?

OakBrook

Post by OakBrook » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Any idea on whether a DS is still viewed as two H's for EIP purposes? OCS says 1.5, but old TLS threads always suggest its two.

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 pm

OakBrook wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 pm
Any idea on whether a DS is still viewed as two H's for EIP purposes? OCS says 1.5, but old TLS threads always suggest its two.
Short answer is that it won't matter.

Any firm sophisticated enough to assign numerical weights will almost certainly just calculate your GPA.

OakBrook

Post by OakBrook » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:19 pm

pneumonia wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 pm
OakBrook wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 pm
Short answer is that it won't matter.

Any firm sophisticated enough to assign numerical weights will almost certainly just calculate your GPA.
Damn, I guess LRW really is worth less then :(

callitasunday

Post by callitasunday » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 am

Can anyone give a breakdown of housing options and what’s most popular? How hard is it to find off campus housing? I am not sure about off campus for privacy and things like private bathrooms and kitchens vs. the ease and proximity of on campus housing.

Borges_and_barbells

Post by Borges_and_barbells » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Would you estimate that most HLS students went to "prestigious" undergraduate colleges (let's say, the top 20 or so universities/LACs)?

lk52

Post by lk52 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:55 am

Hello, I'm an alum hoping to view the course evaluations for a class I took several years ago. The class was a real struggle for me, and the
supportive/commiserating comments I remember reading on other students' course evals meant a lot to me. I would love to see them again to try get a better perspective on what was a very tough time.

I would be very grateful if any current student who can access the course evals would be willing to send me the screenshots or PDF pages for this one class. Please PM me and I'll give you the details.

Thanks and good luck with your studies!