Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
bvest

Re: Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Post by bvest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:52 pm

emkay625 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:36 pm
hookem wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm
Do any of y'all 2/3Ls or grads have any must take classes (or must avoid ones)?
"Must take" really has three facets to it. There are classes that are easy As. There are classes that are interesting/the professor is awesome. And then there are classes that are actually helpful.

Easy As: Any writing seminar. Just check the grade distributions. Trial advocacy is also an easy A if you actually do the reading. People complain about that course being a black box, it's not. Do the reading and the exam is easy.
Interesting/Awesome Professor: Professor Goode is great. Also loved Professor Jenks's writing semniar on international humanitarian law. It was actually interesting. Election Law is an interesting course as well that I actually loved attending each week.
Helpful: If you plan on practicing in Texas, take Oil and Gas. Sokolow's BA course is great and teaches you everything you need to know for the bar. Also the advanced legal writing classes are good because they actually serve as practice for what it's like being a lawyer.
I second O&G. I also enjoyed O&G tax, which is taught by Exxon tax attorneys.

FIT with Peroni was good, but not easy by any means.

Real Estate Transactions was a good course.

Take no other BA than Sokolow.

Texas Admin Law is an easy A, assuming he still gets it off the curve (as he has in the past), but not the world's most interesting course overall. That said, my final paper for that turned out to be really interesting just because of lucky timing (watch for Texas admin-law-related issues being discussed just before and after the November election).

If you don't have much business/accounting background at all, consider the accounting for lawyers course so that you're not completely lost when business issues come up later (which they do in all areas of law and types of practice).

You probably also want to take one of Bankruptcy or Secured Credit, but not necessarily both, unless you're headed in that direction.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Corporate Governance is an easy A-/A with little to no work, no cold calling, and a bunch of dumb MBA kids to make your paper look a lot better than it actually is.

Financial Methods or whatever that pass/fail class is was pretty good and helpful for life.

International Human Rights is usually an easy A.

For the record, I never took Fed Courts, Bankruptcy, Secured Credit, and some other major classes. I passed the bar and do lawyer things now or whatever. To each their own, but if you're lazy, use me as an example.

BigZuck

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Pretty sure the bankruptcy reference was just to trigger C/O 2016ers

bvest

Post by bvest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I actually wasn't saying it for bar, but rather for those occasions when it comes up IRL.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 pm

wow don't put that juju on me, bvest

hookem

Post by hookem » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm

[thinking emoji] wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:30 pm
Corporate Governance is an easy A-/A with little to no work, no cold calling, and a bunch of dumb MBA kids to make your paper look a lot better than it actually is.

Financial Methods or whatever that pass/fail class is was pretty good and helpful for life.

International Human Rights is usually an easy A.

For the record, I never took Fed Courts, Bankruptcy, Secured Credit, and some other major classes. I passed the bar and do lawyer things now or whatever. To each their own, but if you're lazy, use me as an example.
Can't say I'm not lazy. Thanks for all the suggestions y'all!

Tesser

Post by Tesser » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Last edited by Tesser on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hookem

Post by hookem » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Tesser wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm
Does anyone have any insight on the non-trad experience at UT? I know that everyone speaks highly of the Societies and the social life in general, but as a married-with-children thirty-something, I'm curious how much the older students participate in this. I'd like to get to know people, but my time isn't always my own and I live far from campus. Interested to hear how much the older students tend to participate in extra-curricular stuff and if they're missing out on much.
I'm sure you're looking for an actual non-traditional student to respond to this, which I'm not, but in case no one has any more direct insight, I will say that the married-with-children students in my section still participate in some of the social stuff. Not bar review and the drinking-heavy events as much, but whenever, say, a professor invites us over for drinks or dinner, the people with spouses and kids have showed up with their spouses and kids. I'm an average aged student and don't participate in a lot of the society stuff or bar review as after long days/weeks of school, I'd rather just be at home with my partner. I go things here and there, and eat lunch and hang out with people at school, but don't feel like I'm missing out by being ullllltraaaa social

Tesser

Post by Tesser » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Last edited by Tesser on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RubyRhad

Post by RubyRhad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 am

Money just made my decision for me. Didn't have a great reconsideration offer. Goodbye Texas. :( :( *tears*

Newidnewlyfe

Post by Newidnewlyfe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 pm

alykdesire wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 am
Money just made my decision for me. Didn't have a great reconsideration offer. Goodbye Texas. :( :( *tears*
Yikes what happened? Im also gna send them the reconsideration thing but kinda worried... did they up it at all ?

RubyRhad

Post by RubyRhad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Newidnewlyfe wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 pm
alykdesire wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 am
Yikes what happened? Im also gna send them the reconsideration thing but kinda worried... did they up it at all ?
They more than doubled it, but with offers I'm sitting on from UVA and Michigan, it is still significantly more expensive for me to go to UT than either of those schools. I'll PM you details.

Contango

Post by Contango » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm in the opposite position: UT increased my offer and became far and away my best option, given my goals. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. My (and my spouse's) thought process has shifted away from where we might land, and we are beginning to research neighborhoods more thoroughly so we can better target our housing search. With that in mind, I would like to solicit feedback from some current students. We hope to avoid the neighborhoods like West Campus or even Hyde Park that are home to a high density of undergrads. We prefer to be North rather than South. We will be bringing along our dog and would generally prefer to rent a 2+ bedroom townhouse or single family detached home, preferably with something resembling a yard. We would prefer to try keeping rent in the 1500-1600 a month range, but could reasonably go up to 1800-2000 if we can't find anything that checks our must have at the lower end of our range. A few questions:
  • Is getting a garage parking permit a possibility as a first year, from a supply standpoint? (I know that parking is also expensive, but is there even an adequate supply of garage permits?)
  • Does anyone have any familiarity with the Northwest Hills/Far West area
  • If so, is taking the Far West shuttle a reasonably convenient way to get to and from campus?
We've only just begun seriously looking at rental properties around town. Please provide any other suggestions of areas we might look at. We're also looking around in Crestview and generally north of the IM fields.

Tesser

Post by Tesser » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Last edited by Tesser on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Contango

Post by Contango » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Tesser wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 pm
0L here, but I've lived in Austin for 12 years now ...
Thanks for the feedback. We've poked around offerings in Cherrywood as well - it would be very convenient to be right off Manor road less than a mile from the law school. With regards to the Far West UT shuttle - are the UT shuttle routes operated by Cap Metro for UT students only, or are they just normal bus routes with a focal point around serving the campus. Does the Far West shuttle tend to be quite crowded at popular times, or do the shuttles actually run frequently enough to alleviate congestion on the bus? I've read that a 10 year proposal that Cap Metro published a few years back included a proposal to essentially gut the UT shuttles. Has anyone heard about the status of the future of the UT shuttle system? Was the proposal just designed to shake down UT for more funding, or is it a serious policy priority of the Cap Metro administration to ultimately force UT students into adopting the standard routes?

Sorry for the long list of questions. I've done quite a bit of Google'ing, but haven't found definitive answers to these. Thanks for any feedback!

hookem

Post by hookem » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Contango wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:14 pm
I'm in the opposite position: UT increased my offer and became far and away my best option, given my goals. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. My (and my spouse's) thought process has shifted away from where we might land, and we are beginning to research neighborhoods more thoroughly so we can better target our housing search. With that in mind, I would like to solicit feedback from some current students. We hope to avoid the neighborhoods like West Campus or even Hyde Park that are home to a high density of undergrads. We prefer to be North rather than South. We will be bringing along our dog and would generally prefer to rent a 2+ bedroom townhouse or single family detached home, preferably with something resembling a yard. We would prefer to try keeping rent in the 1500-1600 a month range, but could reasonably go up to 1800-2000 if we can't find anything that checks our must have at the lower end of our range. A few questions:
  • Is getting a garage parking permit a possibility as a first year, from a supply standpoint? (I know that parking is also expensive, but is there even an adequate supply of garage permits?)
  • Does anyone have any familiarity with the Northwest Hills/Far West area
  • If so, is taking the Far West shuttle a reasonably convenient way to get to and from campus?
We've only just begun seriously looking at rental properties around town. Please provide any other suggestions of areas we might look at. We're also looking around in Crestview and generally north of the IM fields.

I second that North Loop is a great area. Close enough to campus, but far enough from high populations of undergrad students. I almost rented a cute little 2 bedroom there for like 1650, but that was a few years ago.

A garage permit is definitely a possibility. I am a 1L with plenty of friends with permits for the garage right by the law school. Others have them to a garbage that's maybe, say, a 7 minute walk. If you get to school before 9ish, there is lots of surface parking within a 7 minute or so walk.

bvest

Post by bvest » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:50 pm

I haven't ridden a shuttle in a while, but they at least used to be basically a route that focused on UT AND was free to ride for any rider (I think now it's free only to UT students/faculty/staff). (The trick being that once you get within a certain proximity of campus, there are no more stops, so it's not a very useful route to ride for any purpose other than going to campus.)

I drive past the Far West Shuttle's pickup at Wood Hollow south of Far West at 8:15 every morning, and there's usually only a couple people out there; sometimes as many as 10. Also, it's not unusual for me to see two shuttles in close proximity to each other at that hour. I think they run every 5 minutes at peak times.

I don't know much about the status of the shuttles, but I would be surprised to see the Far West or the Riverside shuttles go anywhere any time soon. A lot of other routes could be served by standard routes, but those are (a) large student population areas and (b) not particularly easily accessed from campus by standard routes.

e: and at the risk of repeating myself re neighborhoods:
French Place, North Loop, Baja Brentwood, Brentwood, Highland, and Crestview from closest to farthest. Brentwood/crestview run about $1700-1900 for a 2-1 single family house on 1/6 acre. I suspect French Pl is about the same and the others are a smidge cheaper. You can throw in Far West as well.

Whodareswins

Post by Whodareswins » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks for taking questions. I'm a UT transfer hopeful for this cycle. I have above a 4.2 from a T2-T3 school. I'm not from Texas. Do I have a decent shot or does UT really prefer Texans?

Thank you,

sev

Post by sev » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Whodareswins wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 pm
Hi,

Thanks for taking questions. I'm a UT transfer hopeful for this cycle. I have above a 4.2 from a T2-T3 school. I'm not from Texas. Do I have a decent shot or does UT really prefer Texans?

Thank you,
Just from the 509 reports--12 transfer students were in state, 6 were out of state. Year before was 14 instate vs. 11 out of state, so it doesn't seem there's an exclusionary preference.

Whodareswins

Post by Whodareswins » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:54 pm

sev wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm
Whodareswins wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 pm
Hi,

Thank you,
Just from the 509 reports--12 transfer students were in state, 6 were out of state. Year before was 14 instate vs. 11 out of state, so it doesn't seem there's an exclusionary preference.
Thanks so much!

Do you think that sticker at UT for two years (out of state tuition for 2L here, hopefully in state tuition for 3L year) would be worth it? I have $45K in debt from undergrad/1L year, so I'd graduate law school owing around $170K. This sounds terrifying compared to the $80K I would total at my TT/TTT. (I pay a few thousand a semester and took out loans for cost of living). Is this worth the $90K difference or should I stop being restless and stay put?

Goals: big fed or in house

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm

I wouldn't count on getting in-state for 3L if you aren't from Texas and don't own property in Texas. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this, but I'm pretty sure they make it hard to get in-state as a OOS transfer.

bvest

Post by bvest » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Yeah, you won't get in-state during 3L. Check the residency requirements again. You have to meet the residency tenure requirements while not being a student.

urmlaw18

Post by urmlaw18 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 pm

For anyone that is an OOS student, how was your transition experience at UT?

Also, if I want to work in CA after law school, how hard is it to make that possible? What would i need to do to make that possible?

BirdLawExpert

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 pm

urmlaw18 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 pm
For anyone that is an OOS student, how was your transition experience at UT?

Also, if I want to work in CA after law school, how hard is it to make that possible? What would i need to do to make that possible?
I don't know many people in my class going to California, maybe a half-dozen and mostly IP folks going to SV. In my experience, this is generally where people are going.
  • 1. Houston
    2. Dallas
    3. Austin
    4. Other Texas (RGV, SA, FW, East Texas)
    5. DC
    6. NYC
    7. California
    8. Non-TX Hometown

BigZuck

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:54 pm

If you want to work in CA then go to UCLA/USC (or, ideally, Berkeley or Stanfurd)

To the transfer poster above- I think spending 180K as a UT transfer with a goal of working for the federal government or in house (directly out of school? That's usually not a viable career path, oftentimes you need (big) firm experience first) is a mistake.