Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
[thinking emoji]

Re: Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Post by [thinking emoji] » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:18 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 pm
[thinking emoji] wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm
Don't do TROL because they're lunatics with an inferiority complex (with they were TLR).
Everyone on the board for TROL next year (and this year) is super chill. I’d recommend it.
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 pm
Or at least most of the board this year, a couple of people suck

PrezRand

Post by PrezRand » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 am

Do you know anyone who applied early to texas and what are their thoughts on applying early

BirdLawExpert

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 am

I know several people who applied early and are extremely happy with their decision. I also know at least one person who was denied early acceptance, accepted later, and actually ended up getting more scholarship money than they would have if they got in EA. It’s a mixed bag. If you know you want to go to UT, and you’re an in-state applicant, it could be worth it.

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:11 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 am
Do you know anyone who applied early to texas and what are their thoughts on applying early
I used to be adamantly against EDing at Texas, because I didn't love the idea of binding admission for fairly unsubstantial money. But then I saw how little they offer RD Texas residents that don't have killer stats. I applied RD, got $0 in scholarships, and had to go through the reconsideration process to get a grand total of $750 more than I would have had guaranteed if I just applied ED ($30,750 in total). In that instance, I think ED would be worth it. If you are a splitter and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Texas is where you want to go, apply ED. If you have solid numbers and think you could do well across the T-14, I would probably go RD. Either way, apply early.

PrezRand

Post by PrezRand » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:34 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:11 pm
PrezRand wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 am
I used to be adamantly against EDing at Texas, because I didn't love the idea of binding admission for fairly unsubstantial money. But then I saw how little they offer RD Texas residents that don't have killer stats. I applied RD, got $0 in scholarships, and had to go through the reconsideration process to get a grand total of $750 more than I would have had guaranteed if I just applied ED ($30,750 in total). In that instance, I think ED would be worth it. If you are a splitter and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Texas is where you want to go, apply ED. If you have solid numbers and think you could do well across the T-14, I would probably go RD. Either way, apply early.
Yikes.

utlaw1212

Post by utlaw1212 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I hear about TJOGEL and the sports and entertainment journal being fun/easy, but it would be weird to do either of those if I am leaning towards the public sector? I'm honestly not sure what I want to do yet. Working in gov't this summer but have gone back and forth on working for a firm. I don't want to pigeon hole myself but making my resume speak to one thing or the other until I (hopefully) get a better idea of what I want after this summer.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 pm

If you want to work for a firm, it doesn't matter what journal you do (except that TLR is a boost, obviously).

I won't try and speak to public sector jobs and journal choices.

kreuzbert

Post by kreuzbert » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Are 1Ls able to take some classes (LRW?) pass/fail and is that a good idea for someone on the big law track?

bvest

Post by bvest » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 pm

No, they are not. Pass fail is only available for upper level classes (but not if the prof doesn't allow it).

See second paragraph here: https://law.utexas.edu/student-affairs/ ... ail-basis/

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Is the student sports pass worth it? It would be cool to go to a couple of games, but my understanding is that you can usually snag tickets the day of for a reasonable price, and I don't know if I would go to enough events to warrant paying $175 or whatever it is now.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Unless they've changed it, $175 gets you access to every sport's home games. I ended up going to several different sports that I otherwise wouldn't have gone to, and had a lot of fun. I think it's worth it. yolo or whatever.

hookem

Post by hookem » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:18 pm
Is the student sports pass worth it? It would be cool to go to a couple of games, but my understanding is that you can usually snag tickets the day of for a reasonable price, and I don't know if I would go to enough events to warrant paying $175 or whatever it is now.
Yes, it is still 175! I know that football student seating is now general admission and the tickets are apparently linked to your ID card so I wonder if that will make it more difficult to re-sell student tickets—not sure, though, because I get regular tickets and I'm not sure if this is the first year of it or what. I would really recommend just paying the 175 for the pass if you're at all a sports fan because, like the above poster mentioned, getting to go to the other sports is great and for me, it was a good way to de-stress from 1L. I think it'll pay for itself pretty easily.

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 am

What has the orientation schedule looked like in years past? Are there events on the weekend of orientation? I’m trying to decide if I need to turn down an invite on that Saturday.

hookem

Post by hookem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 am
What has the orientation schedule looked like in years past? Are there events on the weekend of orientation? I’m trying to decide if I need to turn down an invite on that Saturday.
Leading up to orientation, there were a few optional events for parents or affinity groups and things like that and maybe a happy hour or two for different student orgs. Then the Deans Fellows usually organize something for their groups. I think mine was the night before orientation but maybe some were over the weekend. A lot of people in my section moved in the day or two before orientation. I think you're probably fine scheduling something for Saturday especially if its something you care about!

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Anyone have thoughts/tips on the following professors?

Mullenix (Civ Pro)
Sager (Con Law)
Strong (Crim)
Schaeffer (LRW)

resiny

Post by resiny » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:51 am

Hi all - anyone know anything about Charles Silver for civ pro? He appears to be visiting from Texas (or maybe was hired away?) at my school and I have him in the fall. Feel free to PM!

wolfonlawstreet

Post by wolfonlawstreet » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 am

Bumping for those considering attending - happy to answer any questions :)

motherofdragons

Post by motherofdragons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Congrats on the 5 point LSAT jump!