Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Tazewell

Re: Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Post by Tazewell » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am
I'll lightning round some questions. I am 100% confident in my decision to attend UT, but I am curious about a few things.

1. What do job prospects look like at median? The Biglaw+Fed clerk numbers look like they are pretty close to 45%, but I was told this weekend that this number could be higher if not for self selection (people taking public interest jobs or returning home to Fort Worth/Corpus/Abilene/Tyler to work in a small-ish firm).

2. What is the level of camaraderie like between students? Do you generally like (or at least tolerate) most of your classmates? Can we expect an uptick in gunners now that we have that sweet T14 prestige?

3. How attainable are 1L SA's? Are those only reserved for Coif kids, or do they tip beyond Top 10%?

4. What has been your favorite part of UT Law thus far? Least favorite?

5. How does one go about buying a San Jacinto Garage pass? Is it worth getting on the waiting list right now?

6. Can anyone speak about the advocacy programs? Is it possible to participate in competitive moot court, a journal, do decent in school, and not want to tear your hair out?
Current 1L so I'll take a stab at your questions.

1) When talking to recruiters before school started and through the 1L summer recruiting process, median tends to be the cutoff for them at UT. Median doesn't mean that they will wash your feet and beg you to come work for them, but it gets you in the door, and really I think that's all you can ask for. And personally, I don't think it's all that hard to get median if you just give a damn and work for it.

2) This was the biggest surprise to me coming in, but everyone I have met has been great. UT does a great job of putting you in a position to form friends if you want to, or you can just chill at home by yourself if that's your thing. Everyone is placed into a small group of 20 people that does intramurals together, panels, etc. and the clubs do a great job of letting 1Ls get involved early. I haven't had a single bad interaction with another student, and everyone seems to be friends. My classmates have been hands down the best thing about UT for me so far.

3) This is going against conventional TLS (LSL?) wisdom, but frankly I don't think they're as hard to get as it seems. They won't be handed to you, and you need to work for it, but more people get them than you think. You don't have to be Top 10% or even top 1/3rd to get them if you attend firm's holiday parties and other events during the year and are personable. I'm not saying they're easy to get, but I thought 1L SAs were for the elite of the elite, but they're really not that exclusive.

4) Already mentioned that the people are my favorite part, so I'll add that every professor I have had has been great. I think I got lucky with that, but the professors genuinely want to help and have been willing to go out of their way to do so. Least favorite is probably the administrative staff, but that's no big deal.

5) I bought a summer pass and just renewed it for the fall. Greatest purchase I've made during law school.

6) I can't speak to the advocacy portion or the journal yet, but it has been my experience that the people who are the most involved seem to be the happy and not miserable. It's completely up to the person though. I like having my day filled with stuff to do so loading up my calendar helps me get through the day, but other people just want to go to school then go home, and that's cool too, but you just need to know who you are as a person.

bvest

Post by bvest » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:56 pm

[thinking emoji] wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm

5. BVest plz handle this q, tyvm.
Tazewell wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 pm
5) I bought a summer pass and just renewed it for the fall. Greatest purchase I've made during law school.
Concisely put.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:31 am

thank.
-pathern

Hstrat

Post by Hstrat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi, thanks for helping us 0Ls out! I'm at the decision phase and am having an incredibly hard time deciding. Could any UT students tell me why they chose UT and if they're glad they did? Also, how strong would you say the clerkship program is there?

BirdLawExpert

Post by BirdLawExpert » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Hstrat wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 pm
Hi, thanks for helping us 0Ls out! I'm at the decision phase and am having an incredibly hard time deciding. Could any UT students tell me why they chose UT and if they're glad they did? Also, how strong would you say the clerkship program is there?
(If anyone knows me and doesn’t already know my username, you’re about to figure it out haha)

I picked UT because I want to go into national security law. Chesney and Vladeck are here (though we got Vladeck after I committed), the Strauss and Clements Centers are here, the LBJ school is here, and there are a million opportunities to plug into the community. I’d say that’s fairly accurate for most areas of law that UT has faculty in. On top of that, UT places as good in DC as I needed it to, so it checked that box. The price ending up the cheapest serious option for me was a cherry on top.

UT’s clerkship program punches well above its weight class, and that’s the only way to put it. The longtime clerkship advisor recently took a diminished role, but that doesn’t seem to have affected outcomes for anyone in my cycle. If you want a clerkship, you can probably get one somewhere. If you want a fed clerkship, you have to work hard, but not harder than you would have to work at peer institutions.

PrezRand

Post by PrezRand » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:49 pm

How difficult is it to break into the Austin market? I'm an AA Tx native.

What is the likelihood of getting a SA position after 1L?

BirdLawExpert

Post by BirdLawExpert » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:52 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Austin is the hardest market in Texas to get, but if you're clear about wanting to be there from day one it's doable. I didn't go for an SA position after 1L, but all of my friends who did found work. It wasn't necessarily BigLaw, but it was good work regardless.

PrezRand

Post by PrezRand » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:42 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:52 pm
PrezRand wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Austin is the hardest market in Texas to get, but if you're clear about wanting to be there from day one it's doable. I didn't go for an SA position after 1L, but all of my friends who did found work. It wasn't necessarily BigLaw, but it was good work regardless.
Do you know the average age of students who are in the JD/MBA program?

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Any gyms in the Hyde Park area y'all would recommend? Are the campus gyms overrun with undergrads?

hookem

Post by hookem » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Y'all got any insight on when is best or when is bad to take PR? anything wrong with taking it 2L fall?

hookem

Post by hookem » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:51 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 pm
Any gyms in the Hyde Park area y'all would recommend? Are the campus gyms overrun with undergrads?
the campus gyms are IMO. but lots of law students also seem to go. I used to go to 24 hour fitness near HEB on 41st before my apartment got a better gym. it's not bad

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 pm

hookem wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 pm
Y'all got any insight on when is best or when is bad to take PR? anything wrong with taking it 2L fall?
Nothing wrong with knocking it out ASAP. I would recommend taking Dzienkowski then doing the MPRE the first time it's offered after finishing PR. The Dzienkowski exam is similar to the MPRE (he used to write it), so studying for the exam will put you in a good spot for the MPRE. I took the MPRE before I took the PR final, and since I never read for class and hadn't studied, it was a little harder. If I would have studied for the PR final then taken the MPRE a month or two later, I probably could have gotten an 85+ without studying.

dangurllydogo2hrvrd

Post by dangurllydogo2hrvrd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:50 am

BigZuck wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:45 pm
Learn to scavenge from student group free food offerings like all self-respecting law students.

Or brown bag it like an elementary school student/BIG LAWYER.

If you're looking for good food establishments near the law school I've got sour news for you friend.
Bruh, you're funny :lol:

Tesser

Post by Tesser » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:22 am

Last edited by Tesser on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bvest

Post by bvest » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:40 am

Mid/small-law SA, SSC/fed/other court internships, AG's office, other state agencies (LCRA, TCEQ, etc.), municipal/county government, legal aid/public interest, in-house etc. Of course, if you do government or nonprofit work, you can also pick up school credit and make 3lol easier. I don't recall if you can both get a grant for it ($4k I think) and get class credit.

The biglaw SAs in Austin are fairly scarce, so most biglaw SAs will head to Houston/Dallas for the summer, but a obviously a lot of the state government jobs are Austin based, as well as some of the public interest (Texas has several regional legal aids, one of which is based in Austin, as well as a kind of statewide back-up legal aid that's in Austin and a number of specialty PI groups (domestic violence, reproductive rights, environment, civil rights), some in austin and some in Houston/Dallas) .

Tesser

Post by Tesser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 am

Last edited by Tesser on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Does anyone have experience with a spouse being a stay-at-home mom? My wife is wanting to know what to expect if we end up going to Austin.

bvest

Post by bvest » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Mrs. Vest stayed home my 2L year; she had a little clean up work to do as she wound down a not-too-busy practice, but otherwise was SAHM. I'm not sure the experience is that different than any other city/situation except that you'll have a lot more time to pitch in as a student than you would as a working stiff. There are lots of SAHMs in Austin, especially for the pre-school aged kids and lots of neighborhood groups. Do you have any specific questions about it?

If you end up coming to Austin, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of the particular resources, but I don't think they're especially different from other cities.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 pm

bvest wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:41 pm
Mrs. Vest stayed home my 2L year; she had a little clean up work to do as she wound down a not-too-busy practice, but otherwise was SAHM. I'm not sure the experience is that different than any other city/situation except that you'll have a lot more time to pitch in as a student than you would as a working stiff. There are lots of SAHMs in Austin, especially for the pre-school aged kids and lots of neighborhood groups. Do you have any specific questions about it?

If you end up coming to Austin, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of the particular resources, but I don't think they're especially different from other cities.
I think the neighborhood groups are something I'm most curious about. We really like what Michigan has going on, with the SAHM's doing play dates at each other's houses and doing weekly date nights where alternating couples take care of 4-5ish kids at a time so the other parents can go on dates. Do you know what neighborhoods would be especially conducive for that kind of activity? Without any subsidized student housing, I don't really know where to look.

And I'll reach out! I just sent in a request for a scholarship reconsideration, so I'll need to decide for sure in the next week or so, depending on when that new offer comes in.

bvest

Post by bvest » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Nextdoor.com and the neighborhood groups that existed before that (typically on yahoogroups) are where to find those. I know people in those babysitting coop groups, but we're not in one ourselves. There's also Toybrary where folks will meet up during the day and it has some early (like 5-8) parents nights out. We have a couple of PNOs that we do on the reg that are mainly designed for 4+ and go until 10-10:30.

hookem

Post by hookem » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 pm

For those of us whose grades probably don't give us a change for TLR, what do y'all think about secondary journals being worth it or not?

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Do it just because you'll be asked what journal you're on/why you're not on a journal at OCI. Annoying, but it'll happen.

Join TGOJEL because it's the easiest/least work and has the most open bars. Don't do TROL because they're lunatics with an inferiority complex (with they were TLR). TRESL is also chill.

hookem

Post by hookem » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 pm

[thinking emoji] wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm
Do it just because you'll be asked what journal you're on/why you're not on a journal at OCI. Annoying, but it'll happen.

Join TGOJEL because it's the easiest/least work and has the most open bars. Don't do TROL because they're lunatics with an inferiority complex (with they were TLR). TRESL is also chill.
Sweet. thank you!

BirdLawExpert

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 pm

[thinking emoji] wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm
Don't do TROL because they're lunatics with an inferiority complex (with they were TLR).
Everyone on the board for TROL next year (and this year) is super chill. I’d recommend it.

BirdLawExpert

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Or at least most of the board this year, a couple of people suck