Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
[thinking emoji]

Re: Univ of Texas School of Law students / grads taking questions

Post by [thinking emoji] » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Cosign the above.

Edit: of course my post ends up at the top of a new page.

Whodareswins

Post by Whodareswins » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks you guys. Transferring is starting to seem not worth it, especially in light of not being able to gain residency my 3L year. I really want to find my way to Austin. Maybe I'll work in my state a few years and try to lateral

Thanks again!

Serfs Up

Post by Serfs Up » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 am

Hello all and thanks for answering questions. I am trying to determine whether it is best to submit my scholarship reconsideration ASAP or wait until I potentially have a better offer from elsewhere?

Right now, I am an OOS student with GPA around median and 173 LSAT. UT offered me in state and 8k/year. UMN offered me full tuition scholarship. I have not heard back from other schools but am waiting to hear from UVA. I'm wondering whether I should wait until I do (or do not) have an offer from UVA before submitting to UT (my current plan) or whether there is a time sensitivity element that means I should submit ASAP.

bvest

Post by bvest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am

Yes you should wait. UT is more likely to compete with UVa than UMinn.

What are your goals?

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm

I went apartment hunting after ASW, and I found two I really like: Triangle and Platform (East of 35 on MLK, about six minutes from the law school). Anyone have any intel on these two?

bvest

Post by bvest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm

I can't speak to the apartments, but the Triangle is a great development for dining and services (though the Flying Saucer closed at the beginning of this year). I wonder what will fill that space. It's also a terrific location for getting to school either by car or bus and for getting most places in town. The one downside is you'll have to drive to a grocery store, but you'll probably have to do that anyway.

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:51 pm

bvest wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm
I can't speak to the apartments, but the Triangle is a great development for dining and services (though the Flying Saucer closed at the beginning of this year). I wonder what will fill that space. It's also a terrific location for getting to school either by car or bus and for getting most places in town. The one downside is you'll have to drive to a grocery store, but you'll probably have to do that anyway.
Yeah I was bummed about the Flying Saucer, but they told me that there is going to be something comparable coming in. I liked the location, I drove to and from the law school to get a feel for how long it takes, and it really is an easy commute. The grocery thing was also disappointing, but there is a Central Market within a mile, and an HEB fairly close.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 pm

The Flying Saucer always had customers, wonder why it closed. Also the Triangle is a good spot to live. You're also right next to the new(ly redesigned) IM fields.

bvest

Post by bvest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:20 pm

It was there for an even number of years (10 I think) so I suspect it was a rent renegotiation that didn't work out.

hookem

Post by hookem » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 pm

bvest wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:20 pm
It was there for an even number of years (10 I think) so I suspect it was a rent renegotiation that didn't work out.
Yeah, they were asking like 17k for rent which the saucer wasn't fucking with

hookem

Post by hookem » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:45 pm

bvest wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:20 pm
Yeah, they were asking like 17k for rent which the saucer wasn't fucking with
Last edited by hookem on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hookem

Post by hookem » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm
I went apartment hunting after ASW, and I found two I really like: Triangle and Platform (East of 35 on MLK, about six minutes from the law school). Anyone have any intel on these two?
I live at the Triangle! feel free to message me with any questions. I really like it and would recommend 100% despite the death of my sweet, sweet saucer

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am

I'll lightning round some questions. I am 100% confident in my decision to attend UT, but I am curious about a few things.

1. What do job prospects look like at median? The Biglaw+Fed clerk numbers look like they are pretty close to 45%, but I was told this weekend that this number could be higher if not for self selection (people taking public interest jobs or returning home to Fort Worth/Corpus/Abilene/Tyler to work in a small-ish firm).

2. What is the level of camaraderie like between students? Do you generally like (or at least tolerate) most of your classmates? Can we expect an uptick in gunners now that we have that sweet T14 prestige?

3. How attainable are 1L SA's? Are those only reserved for Coif kids, or do they tip beyond Top 10%?

4. What has been your favorite part of UT Law thus far? Least favorite?

5. How does one go about buying a San Jacinto Garage pass? Is it worth getting on the waiting list right now?

6. Can anyone speak about the advocacy programs? Is it possible to participate in competitive moot court, a journal, do decent in school, and not want to tear your hair out?
Last edited by HenryHankPalmer on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tesser

Post by Tesser » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:09 am

Last edited by Tesser on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bvest

Post by bvest » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:10 pm

I don't see a lot of value in a surface lot pass. It's not like lots 37, 70, 116 are too, too far away, but at the same time, they're not so close that you can't find other close-in parking options (for example, I don't think Hampton Road has gone to Resident Permits parking only) and fall back on paying for it on those days when you can't find it.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am
I'll lightning round some questions. I am 100% confident in my decision to attend UT, but I am curious about a few things.

1. What do job prospects look like at median? The Biglaw+Fed clerk numbers look like they are pretty close to 45%, but I was told this weekend that this number could be higher if not for self selection (people taking public interest jobs or returning home to Fort Worth/Corpus/Abilene/Tyler to work in a small-ish firm).

2. What is the level of camaraderie like between students? Do you generally like (or at least tolerate) most of your classmates? Can we expect an uptick in gunners now that we have that sweet T14 prestige?

3. How attainable are 1L SA's? Are those only reserved for Coif kids, or do they tip beyond Top 10%?

5. How does one go about buying a San Jacinto Garage pass? Is it worth getting on the waiting list right now?

6. Can anyone speak about the advocacy programs? Is it possible to participate in competitive moot court, a journal, do decent in school, and not want to tear your hair out?
1. I wouldn't say there is a significant percentage of people who select out of biglaw, and even if there is, that doesn't mean there is a UT-student-quota that firms need to fill and thus self selection won't necessarily translate to you getting that spot. Median GPA can land biglaw, but it depends on your hustle, your interview skills, your ties to cities, and other things along those lines. You'll get chances for biglaw, but it's far from guaranteed.

2. I only went to 1 school (UT), so it's hard to compare, but I never felt like anyone was gunning in a cut-throat kind of way. Everyone is pretty chill. It's Austin, afterall. Plus, you can spend as much or as little time with your classmates as you want, and your section should be between 50-75 people that you see 5x a week, so you'll be able to find SOMEONE you connect with.

3. Don't count on a 1L SA unless you have connections or tippy top grades or some other intangible.

4. Favorite part was living in Austin. Least favorite was graded LRW. For the record I have no regrets about going to UT, and I'd do it all over again if I could.

5. BVest plz handle this q, tyvm.

6. Someone who isn't a lazy asshole please answer this. I was involved in nothing. No regrets.

hookem

Post by hookem » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 pm

[thinking emoji] wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm
HenryHankPalmer wrote:

1. I wouldn't say there is a significant percentage of people who select out of biglaw, and even if there is, that doesn't mean there is a UT-student-quota that firms need to fill and thus self selection won't necessarily translate to you getting that spot. Median GPA can land biglaw, but it depends on your hustle, your interview skills, your ties to cities, and other things along those lines. You'll get chances for biglaw, but it's far from guaranteed.

2. I only went to 1 school (UT), so it's hard to compare, but I never felt like anyone was gunning in a cut-throat kind of way. Everyone is pretty chill. It's Austin, afterall. Plus, you can spend as much or as little time with your classmates as you want, and your section should be between 50-75 people that you see 5x a week, so you'll be able to find SOMEONE you connect with.

3. Don't count on a 1L SA unless you have connections or tippy top grades or some other intangible.

4. Favorite part was living in Austin. Least favorite was graded LRW. For the record I have no regrets about going to UT, and I'd do it all over again if I could.

6. Someone who isn't a lazy asshole please answer this. I was involved in nothing. No regrets.
God, fuck graded LRW so much.

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:55 pm

hookem wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 pm
[thinking emoji] wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm
HenryHankPalmer wrote:

God, fuck graded LRW so much.
A follow up: other than Snarf’s, what are some food recs within walking distance of the school?
Last edited by HenryHankPalmer on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Learn to scavenge from student group free food offerings like all self-respecting law students.

Or brown bag it like an elementary school student/BIG LAWYER.

If you're looking for good food establishments near the law school I've got sour news for you friend.

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:45 pm
Learn to scavenge from student group free food offerings like all self-respecting law students.

Or brown bag it like an elementary school student/BIG LAWYER.

If you're looking for good food establishments near the law school I've got sour news for you friend.
The deluge of free breakfast tacos is a big plus for me.

Tesser

Post by Tesser » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Last edited by Tesser on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Depends on how much you respect yourself.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:02 pm

At the beginning of the year you can probably get 3-4 days of free food without trying, but a couple months in either a) I stopped paying attention, or b) free food options dried up.

If you can make the 3/4 mile walk to Guadalupe then there's plenty of food, otherwise maybe a 1/3 mile walk to the Chick fil A on the undergrad campus.

Side note, Snarf's lets you take 50% off your order if you order online, you just have to use a new email each time to sign up (no confirmation email, so it doesn't need to be a real email address).

BigZuck

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Might want to consult with a Character and Fitness attorney before trying that Snarfs hack.

[thinking emoji]

Post by [thinking emoji] » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 am

Morally questionable, but legally acceptable. That's how I live my life, plz fight me irl.