BC ($) v. Illinois ($$$)

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
cookies

BC ($) v. Illinois ($$$)

Post by cookies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Decision time--been going back and forth on this one. Not retaking. K-JD. 163/3.6

BC COA: 170k
Illinois COA: 45k

Goals: Biglaw and/or FC if I can, slight short term / strong long term geographic preference for New England, which is where I grew up. Also wouldn't mind "midlaw" in a smaller market. Willing to hustle, network, etc.

I know $135k difference isn't much over the length of a 40 year career but I don't want to dish it out if I don't have to (esp w. 7% interest!)

SmokeytheBear

Re: BC ($) v. Illinois ($$$)

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:49 pm

BC?

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:02 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:49 pm
BC?
Boston College

cookies

Post by cookies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Echos Myron wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:02 pm
SmokeytheBear wrote:
BC?
Boston College
Thanks for the responses. You don't think I could attend Illinois and try to work in Boston simultaneously? Or start at a Chicago firm and transfer to a Boston office? I'm a little bit worried about the margin of error here--missing the biglaw bus at Illinois doesn't really matter, whereas at BC I'd be saddled with crushing debt.

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm

cookies wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:07 pm
Echos Myron wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
BC?
Boston College
Thanks for the responses. You don't think I could attend Illinois and try to work in Boston simultaneously? Or start at a Chicago firm and transfer to a Boston office? I'm a little bit worried about the margin of error here--missing the biglaw bus at Illinois doesn't really matter, whereas at BC I'd be saddled with crushing debt.
I don't think anyone responded with BC as the choice. I think Smokey responded, "what is this BC of which you speak?" And Echos answers that it is Boston College.

Could be wrong.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:13 pm

cookies wrote:
Echos Myron wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
BC?
Boston College
I wasn't pushing for BC. I was simply telling Smokey what the acronym meant.
What is your GPA/LSAT? When did you apply?

I would not go to BC at that price. Employment prospects at the schools are similar so BC is not worth that much more.
Idk how likely it is to get back to New England from Illinois, however. Did you apply to any other schools in the northeast?
Federal clerkship is almost impossible from either schools.

If you'd be unhappy making 50k starting salary in a small firm in Illinois, you should retake and reapply.

somelawperson

Post by somelawperson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:18 pm

cookies wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:43 pm
Decision time--been going back and forth on this one. Not retaking. K-JD. 163/3.6

BC COA: 170k
Illinois COA: 45k

Goals: Biglaw and/or FC if I can, slight short term / strong long term geographic preference for New England, which is where I grew up. Also wouldn't mind "midlaw" in a smaller market. Willing to hustle, network, etc.

I know $135k difference isn't much over the length of a 40 year career but I don't want to dish it out if I don't have to (esp w. 7% interest!)
cookies wrote:

cookies wrote:
Not retaking. K-JD. 163/3.6

I know $135k difference isn't much over the length of a 40 year career
cookies wrote:
Not retaking. K-JD. 163/3.6

$135k
cookies wrote:
Not retaking. K-JD.

I mean, you know what people are going to respond here.

SmokeytheBear

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:23 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm
cookies wrote:
Echos Myron wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
BC?
Boston College
I don't think anyone responded with BC as the choice. I think Smokey responded, "what is this BC of which you speak?" And Echos answers that it is Boston College.

Could be wrong.
I should have been more clear. I mean "BC?" in the "Stay classy, San Diego?" sense.

barkschool

Post by barkschool » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:18 pm

These are not good options for your goals.

They are not “okay” options either.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:38 pm

You have three real options, here.

1. Accept crippling debt for an outside shot at your career goals by taking BC. If you land biglaw, you'll struggle to pay down that debt, but make it work over a number of years. If you miss that, perhaps you can get gov/PI work in New England and use PSLF. I think this route most likely ends in a career that doesn't meet your expectations, but is in the place you want to work.
2. Take the low risk gamble on Illinois. Probably wind up with a stable career in Illinois, but likely not biglaw. If you had expressed any interest in living in Illinois, I would say this was a reasonable option. But it's clearly neither the job or location you want.
3. Retake. If you truly want New England biglaw, you should retake. A 3.6 won't shut you out of top schools with a 17X LSAT, and should get you one for a good price. But this is the only route that gets you biglaw in your preferred market without tremendous good luck.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Stranger wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:38 pm

1. Accept crippling debt for an outside shot at your career goals by taking BC. If you land biglaw, you'll struggle to pay down that debt, but make it work over a number of years. If you miss that, perhaps you can get gov/PI work in New England and use PSLF. I think this route most likely ends in a career that doesn't meet your expectations, but is in the place you want to work.
2. Take the low risk gamble on Illinois. Probably wind up with a stable career in Illinois, but likely not biglaw. If you had expressed any interest in living in Illinois, I would say this was a reasonable option. But it's clearly neither the job or location you want.
3. Retake. If you truly want New England biglaw, you should retake. A 3.6 won't shut you out of top schools with a 17X LSAT, and should get you one for a good price. But this is the only route that gets you biglaw in your preferred market without tremendous good luck.
It seems these options are ranked from worst (read: possibly life-ruining) (#1) to best (#3)

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Echos Myron wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:52 pm
Stranger wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:38 pm

It seems these options are ranked from worst (read: possibly life-ruining) (#1) to best (#3)
That, and the inclination OP seems to have for taking them. The best option feels like the east likely to occur, without considerable convincing. I'd be happy to settle for option 2, but then, I have a spouse from the Midwest and a 2.5X GPA, and no overriding ambition to go for biglaw.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Retake or revise your goals. Your options for your stated goals are crap.

I entered law school with the exact same stats as you and I regret not retaking the LSAT to improve my financial aid options. I'm in BigLaw now and paying down the debt is a real pain in the ass. I was also extremely lucky to get into biglaw from my school, a regional school not in New England that is roughly comparable to BC (which I very nearly attended myself).

You need better options. What you have won't get you to your goals or will cost you too much to get there.