Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
lifeasa0L

Re: Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by lifeasa0L » Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 pm

How likely is it to get v30 offers if you are at/around median? What about v10 offers?

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 am

Is the cost of health insurance included in "tuition and fees"? There wasn't a separate expense for it on the 2018/2019 budget.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:23 pm

lifeasa0L wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 pm
How likely is it to get v30 offers if you are at/around median? What about v10 offers?
I mean, Vault is a simplistic way to analyze firms, and it's hard to estimate the chances for a hypothetical person who I know nothing about besides gpa. But there are a good number of V30 firms where the average gpa of people getting CBs is at or slightly above median, so I'd say it's somewhat likely. You can also get V10, but you'd have to have something special going for you, like great interview skills, impressive work experience, etc.
blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 am
Is the cost of health insurance included in "tuition and fees"? There wasn't a separate expense for it on the 2018/2019 budget.
The way I'm reading the publicly available budget, it's not included, but they will give you extra loan money if you opt for the student health insurance plan. I'd guess they leave it out of the budget because a large percentage of the class stays on their parents' health plans until age 26.

BlackAcre69

Post by BlackAcre69 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 pm

lifeasa0L wrote:
Little bit above median, already have a v10 and v30 offer and we're still a month away from AJF.

lifeasa0L

Post by lifeasa0L » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:28 pm

BlackAcre69 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 pm
lifeasa0L wrote:
Little bit above median, already have a v10 and v30 offer and we're still a month away from AJF.
How did you pull that off? Did you mass mail?

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 am

Hi all, I have made both deposits but would not be able to join this fall. I have asked for deferral and was denied at first (because I overshot the deadline by a month or so). Now, I have been asked to send a petition citing the emergency. Is there a particular format for a petition seeking deferral? Pls let me know. Thanks

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 am

BusinessLaw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 am
Hi all, I have made both deposits but would not be able to join this fall. I have asked for deferral and was denied at first (because I overshot the deadline by a month or so). Now, I have been asked to send a petition citing the emergency. Is there a particular format for a petition seeking deferral? Pls let me know. Thanks
No, just type something up.

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 am

Lavitz wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 am
BusinessLaw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 am
No, just type something up.
Thanks so much :)

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:12 pm

I got my class schedule! Section E.

Contracts - Rachlinski
Con Law - Dorf
Civil Procedure - Holden-Smith
Property - Underkuffler
Lawyering - Fongyee Whelan

Any advice? Is this a good/bad group of professors to get?

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:44 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Contracts - Rachlinski
Con Law - Dorf
Property - Underkuffler

Rachlinski is a great teacher but his grades have a wide range; it’s easy to get an A but also easy to get a B. Underkuffler can be difficult to learn from. At first it seems like nothing she says could possibly be tested on, but it’s actually all fair game. I would take diligent notes on literally everything she says. There’s also an outline out there that details most of what she covers and it’s still pretty up to date. Her teaching style is very dry, although occasionally quite funny with a dark sense of humor.

Also, Underkuffler basically doesn’t cold call, but if you do get called, you’ll be on for the whole day. She’s very easy going though, and if you take a pass it really won’t be a big deal. Rachlinski on the other hand cold calls a lot, and the cold calls matter.

kace3030

Post by kace3030 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:48 pm

I'll be in section F, if anyone has info on the following:

Civil Procedure - Clopton
Con Law - Johnson
Contracts - Hillman
Property - Torres
Lawyering - McKee

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:29 pm

kace3030 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Con Law - Johnson
Contracts - Hillman
Property - Torres
Lawyering - McKee
McKee is tough but she’s one of the best lawyering professors according to many, and she and Atlas are the two lawyering professors who put the most students on law review. I thought she was excellent.

lifeasa0L

Post by lifeasa0L » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Contracts: Rachlinski
Property: Sherwin
Civil Procedure: Clermont
Constitutional Law: Rana
Lawyering: Goldberg

I was able to find some info. on Professor Rachlinski, but not so much about other professors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:29 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Contracts - Rachlinski
Con Law - Dorf
Property - Underkuffler

It's a good group if you're not easily intimidated. Holden-Smith is the most socratic professor at Cornell. Virtually the whole class is just brutally difficult cold-calls. Completely random 2-4 people per day. The material for the first few classes is also notoriously difficult to understand. She's actually very friendly outside of class, but this is just how she believes the material should be taught. Indeed, you'll probably understand more than you would with Clermont. Exam may be all multiple choice, all essay, or a mix of both. Recommended supplements include Clermont's black-latter outline, Frier's Civil Procedure treatise, and Glannon's Examples and Explanations. And do the readings carefully.

Dorf also has intimidating cold-calls, but he goes down rows, so you should know when it'll likely be your day, and there's more lecturing. I didn't have him during 1L, so I can't add much about ConLaw, but I took him for 3 other classes and will say he was one of my favorite professors at Cornell just for sheer brilliance.
kace3030 wrote:

Con Law - Johnson
Contracts - Hillman
Property - Torres
Lawyering - McKee
Hillman has corny jokes. There are cold calls, but they should be pretty easy if you did the readings. In addition to doing the casebook readings, religiously read the hornbook. You should tab both casebook and hornbook, take notes in them, and have a solid outline, because the exam should be open book. Exam should also be a mix of multiple choice and essay.
lifeasa0L wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm
Contracts: Rachlinski
Property: Sherwin
Civil Procedure: Clermont
Constitutional Law: Rana
Lawyering: Goldberg

I was able to find some info. on Professor Rachlinski, but not so much about other professors. Any advice would be appreciated.
Clermont is eccentric, teaches through humorous powerpoint slides, and you will likely have difficulty understanding what's going on. Pretty enjoyable if you don't take things too seriously, and accept that you need to teach yourself. Very few cold-calls my year, but he can always throw a curveball. There will be iclicker questions during class (where most people will choose the wrong answers), often based on questions included in the casebook. As he explains (or purports to explain) the correct answer, you should be taking notes in the casebook, as the exam is open book but limited to actual books (no paper outlines), and these questions may pop up. Exam is a mix of extremely difficult multiple choice questions and likely an odd essay prompt. For my class, it was essentially "here's an article from Above the Law; what would you do if you were the associate in this situation?" For the semester before me, it was "here's an article from a scholar; explain why the scholar is wrong." Recommended supplements: same as for Holden-Smith, but I would add Siegel's MC questions. Personally, I just re-read, tabbed, and toke notes in his black-letter outline, plus went through Siegel's.

Rana is brilliant, a nice guy, and will pace around the room as he rapidly fills your head with information about the constitution. He will ask a lot of questions, and hopes for volunteers, but will cold call people who don't volunteer if nobody's answering. Try to take good notes on what's going on. Exam is open-book, take-home. One issue spotter where you do something such as answer whether a hypothetical law is constitutional, and one open-ended academic question such as "what do you think of the constitution?" Word limits are optional, but you shouldn't be blowing past them. He says you won't need supplements, and you probably won't, but if you have trouble understanding the doctrine, reading the relevant sections of Chemerinsky's Constitutional Law treatise should help. Notably, very difficult to get an A, but also difficult to get lower than a B+. Fun fact: as a child, he competed on the game show Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcvpzOmY80

Fedeg

Post by Fedeg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:23 pm

kace3030 wrote:

Con Law - Johnson
Contracts - Hillman
Property - Torres
Lawyering - McKee
Good to see another section F 1L

endlesstenhou

Post by endlesstenhou » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Any Section B here?

Civil Procedure- Clermont
Con law- Rana
Contracts- Thomas
Lawyering- Freed
Property- Alexander

Any notable advice? Advice on supplements would also be appreciated.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Will I be ok renting my books, or should I buy them all? Are there any books that I absolutely should buy instead of rent?

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am

bump

1L here who can answer questions you would ask a 1L who has been at Cornell for less than 2 months

coffeeandbagels

Post by coffeeandbagels » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:00 pm

How does OCI work at Cornell? Thank you! :)

lifeasa0L

Post by lifeasa0L » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 am

Does anyone have any advice on the following professors?

Civil Procedure - Gardner
Torts - Siliciano
Criminal Law - Margulies

Thanks!