Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
baerab

Re: Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by baerab » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks so much for answering questions! I have a few:
1) What's the community like for slightly older students (like late twenties/thirties)? Is the vibe super collegiate or can non-traditional age students find their niche?
2) Related note: my partner plans to move with me to Ithaca. I know that it's primarily a college town; would it be difficult for non-Cornell affiliates to make friends, get involved in activities, feel a sense of community, etc.? (Partner is self-employed so relocating isn't an issue work-wise.)
3) How visible is the frat culture? Is it something that graduate/professional students can easily avoid interacting with (if they are looking for a peaceful, low-key living/studying environment)?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:34 am

baerab wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:20 pm
Thanks so much for answering questions! I have a few:
1) What's the community like for slightly older students (like late twenties/thirties)? Is the vibe super collegiate or can non-traditional age students find their niche?
2) Related note: my partner plans to move with me to Ithaca. I know that it's primarily a college town; would it be difficult for non-Cornell affiliates to make friends, get involved in activities, feel a sense of community, etc.? (Partner is self-employed so relocating isn't an issue work-wise.)
3) How visible is the frat culture? Is it something that graduate/professional students can easily avoid interacting with (if they are looking for a peaceful, low-key living/studying environment)?
1) There are a good number of older students. And not all younger students are "collegiate." You'll find your niche.
2) If "self-employed" means working from home, I imagine that would make it difficult to meet people when moving anywhere new. I would definitely bring them to a bunch of law school events, so they can at least become friends with your law school friends. Partners are usually welcome at many activities. Outside of that, the university has a webpage for partners, so maybe something there will help: http://studentswithfamilies.cornell.edu ... -partners/. And if they have any hobbies, they can meet other people that way.
3) I walked past a frat house on the way to the law school during 2L and 3L. That's about the extent of how visible it was. Just don't live right next to one, and it should have zero impact on your living / studying environment. (Other than on Slope Day, which isn't a frat thing, but everyone will be day drinking and you can hear that concert all the way down in the Commons.)

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:23 pm

I officially decided on Cornell and am going to deposit this week. Loved everything about the school when I visited. Can't wait to join you guys in the fall!!

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:23 pm
I officially decided on Cornell and am going to deposit this week. Loved everything about the school when I visited. Can't wait to join you guys in the fall!!
Nice! Congrats, and see you in the fall.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Clamence wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Thank you!!

How important is living close to the law school during 1L? I signed a lease with an apartment about two miles from the law school in the Cayuga Heights area. I had thought about living in Collegetown Terrace, but ultimately I couldn't justify it because the other apartment is over twice as big and a few hundred dollars cheaper a month. Was this a bad decision?

BlackAcre69

Post by BlackAcre69 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:30 pm
Clamence wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
Thank you!!

How important is living close to the law school during 1L? I signed a lease with an apartment about two miles from the law school in the Cayuga Heights area. I had thought about living in Collegetown Terrace, but ultimately I couldn't justify it because the other apartment is over twice as big and a few hundred dollars cheaper a month. Was this a bad decision?
Not necessarily a bad decision ... but be aware most people live in college town so it will make socializing outside of class harder.

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:45 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Clamence wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
Thank you!!

Not a bad decision at all, especially if you've got a car. I have many friends who don't live in collegetown and they all love it.

Aspire

Post by Aspire » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:21 pm

How hard is it to get LA biglaw with ties?

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Clamence wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:45 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Clamence wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
Thank you!!

Not a bad decision at all, especially if you've got a car. I have many friends who don't live in collegetown and they all love it.
Okay cool. I'm bringing my car so I figured between that and the bus socializing outside of class shouldn't be tooo hard. Collegetown seems great, but living there probably wouldn't be the best for my studying, lol.

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:25 am

Aspire wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:21 pm
How hard is it to get LA biglaw with ties?
I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this question, but I'll take a stab seeing as no one else has.

The short answer is that if you've got ties and median/above median grades, you'll probably be able to get LA biglaw if you hustle a bit. Basically, there just aren't as many alumni in LA as there are in NYC, and there aren't as many LA firms or firms with LA positions to offer at AJF, so you often have to do your own legwork, rather than just relying on AJF.

Anecdotally, I will say that every 2L and 3L I know who wanted an offer from California got one. There is also a California club at Cornell that holds various panels about how to get an offer from California.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Is it possible to get Chicago biglaw from Cornell?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 pm
Yes. I know multiple people who have gotten it. Don't know anyone who wanted it and didn't get it, but then again, so few people at Cornell want Chicago that it's hard to tell.

You'll just have to do more of your own legwork, since not all Chicago firms will come to AJF. As with any non-NY market you target, you should spend 1L summer there and network / apply to firms while there. That should mitigate most of the downside that comes with attending a school not in your target city. Otherwise, just try to get good grades, but I doubt Chicago firms have lower gpa cutoffs for peer T-14s compared to Cornell.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:58 am

Lavitz wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Yes. I know multiple people who have gotten it. Don't know anyone who wanted it and didn't get it, but then again, so few people at Cornell want Chicago that it's hard to tell.

You'll just have to do more of your own legwork, since not all Chicago firms will come to AJF. As with any non-NY market you target, you should spend 1L summer there and network / apply to firms while there. That should mitigate most of the downside that comes with attending a school not in your target city. Otherwise, just try to get good grades, but I doubt Chicago firms have lower gpa cutoffs for peer T-14s compared to Cornell.
Okay awesome, thank you. What do firms consider to be "ties" to a certain market? My SO and I are both from northern Indiana, and our families both live there, so I think I would be able to give convincing reasons for why I want to work in Chicago. I just wasn't sure what makes up a "tie".

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:40 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:58 am
Lavitz wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:

Okay awesome, thank you. What do firms consider to be "ties" to a certain market? My SO and I are both from northern Indiana, and our families both live there, so I think I would be able to give convincing reasons for why I want to work in Chicago. I just wasn't sure what makes up a "tie".
Based on my understanding of geography, that is certainly a tie. A tie is really just any convincing reason for you to want to live and work in that market. Having visited a place a few times is usually not convincing. You and your SO having grown up nearby, being able to visit your family nearby, and sharing the same general Midwest culture, etc. should convince a Chicago interviewer that you have good reasons for wanting to work there and that you're likely to stay. You don't need to have lived in the actual city before. And I would gather this is especially true of Chicago, since it is by far the biggest legal market in the Midwest, and so it should be easy to understand why people from bordering states would want to work there.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:17 pm

How much printing do you guys do? I have a printer I can bring, but if it's not necessary I'm going to just leave it at my parents' house.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:38 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:17 pm
How much printing do you guys do? I have a printer I can bring, but if it's not necessary I'm going to just leave it at my parents' house.
It's not necessary. You can use the printers in the computer lab to print up to 500 pages per semester, which should be enough:
Cornell wrote:Three high-speed laser printers are available for use by all Law School students. Each Law School student is given a free printing allocation of 500 pages per semester. Students who print over 500 pages are charged at a rate of 10 cents per page for each additional sheet printed. The Computing Center also has a resume printer available for students to use; this service is free.
But I brought my own printer and don't regret it. I tended to work from my apartment, so it was nice to be able to print there instead of the computer lab. I also may have printed more than 500 pages some semesters, but that's because I liked printing out a lot of drafts of my memos / briefs / papers and editing them that way. And it probably wasn't by a substantial amount. So you should be fine without it, but it can be worth bringing it if: you already have it, it's just going to collect dust at your parents' house, you like to work off hard copies of everything, and you plan to work primarily from home.

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 am

Hi Lavitz, Thanks for doing this. Just wanted to check a couple of things - 1. How expensive is parking on the campus? Is it the same across the university? My wife would join the vet school and I was wondering if rates for parking there are any different. Unable to find it online. Alternatively, can I reserve a parking spot within a 3-5 minute walking distance from school? 2. Any idea about safety at East Ithaca Apartments (formerly Maple Hill Apartments)? These appear to be much cheaper than others in that area. Thanks again. Sorry if these questions were addressed earlier. Will scroll up.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Thu May 03, 2018 12:20 pm

BusinessLaw wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 am
Hi Lavitz, Thanks for doing this. Just wanted to check a couple of things - 1. How expensive is parking on the campus? Is it the same across the university? My wife would join the vet school and I was wondering if rates for parking there are any different. Unable to find it online. Alternatively, can I reserve a parking spot within a 3-5 minute walking distance from school? 2. Any idea about safety at East Ithaca Apartments (formerly Maple Hill Apartments)? These appear to be much cheaper than others in that area. Thanks again. Sorry if these questions were addressed earlier. Will scroll up.
This should answer your questions: https://ipp.cornell.edu/content/parking-students
Link to map is here: https://ipp.cornell.edu/sites/default/f ... %20Map.pdf
Bottom line: You need a permit to park on campus, and the permit for the Vet school lot ($360) is different from (but also cheaper than) the permit for the lots a bit closer to the law school ($750).

I don't know of any other way to reserve a parking spot within 3-5 minutes from the school. I believe the closest university lot above, Crescent, would be a ~10 minute walk. There is a parkmobile garage at Hoy field which is closer to the law school, but the daily rate is $10, which would probably make it even more expensive than the yearly permit: https://ipp.cornell.edu/sites/default/f ... 2017_0.pdf
There's also a garage in collegetown, but again, it looks like it would cost you more than the permit:https://parkithaca.com/home-2/rates/garagerates/#dryden

I don't know of any law students who have ever lived in the Ithaca East Apartments, so I haven't heard anything, but I believe the section 8 housing has been phasing out over the last few years, if that's your concern.

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Fri May 04, 2018 2:54 am

Lavitz wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:20 pm
BusinessLaw wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 am
This should answer your questions: https://ipp.cornell.edu/content/parking-students
Link to map is here: https://ipp.cornell.edu/sites/default/f ... %20Map.pdf
Bottom line: You need a permit to park on campus, and the permit for the Vet school lot ($360) is different from (but also cheaper than) the permit for the lots a bit closer to the law school ($750).

I don't know of any other way to reserve a parking spot within 3-5 minutes from the school. I believe the closest university lot above, Crescent, would be a ~10 minute walk. There is a parkmobile garage at Hoy field which is closer to the law school, but the daily rate is $10, which would probably make it even more expensive than the yearly permit: https://ipp.cornell.edu/sites/default/f ... 2017_0.pdf
There's also a garage in collegetown, but again, it looks like it would cost you more than the permit:https://parkithaca.com/home-2/rates/garagerates/#dryden

I don't know of any law students who have ever lived in the Ithaca East Apartments, so I haven't heard anything, but I believe the section 8 housing has been phasing out over the last few years, if that's your concern.
Thanks so very much! That's extremely useful indeed.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 am

Do any of you have experience with Spectrum internet? It looks like it's the best option for my apartment complex.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 am
Do any of you have experience with Spectrum internet? It looks like it's the best option for my apartment complex.
I use it now, and I used it in Ithaca back when it was Time Warner. It was fine. Internet went out sometimes for a few minutes, but nothing major.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 am

Lavitz wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 am
blackmamba8 wrote:
I use it now, and I used it in Ithaca back when it was Time Warner. It was fine. Internet went out sometimes for a few minutes, but nothing major.
How are/were the speeds? They're saying 100 Mbps, which is a little faster than what I have now. As long as the coverage is reliable it sounds like it's my best option.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Wed May 09, 2018 12:00 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 am
Lavitz wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 am
blackmamba8 wrote:
How are/were the speeds? They're saying 100 Mbps, which is a little faster than what I have now. As long as the coverage is reliable it sounds like it's my best option.
Speed was good. 100Mbps is more than enough for whatever you need for law school, maybe unless you're gaming or something. I watched Netflix regularly on my laptop (during 3L at least) and it worked fine.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 am

When you submit the Dean's Certificate, do you send it to Cornell for them to send out to your undergrad school? Or are you supposed to send it directly to your undergrad school?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 am
When you submit the Dean's Certificate, do you send it to Cornell for them to send out to your undergrad school? Or are you supposed to send it directly to your undergrad school?
You send it to your undergrad school, which fills it out and sends it to Cornell.