Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
blackmamba8

Re: Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by blackmamba8 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm
I'm going to the March 23rd ASD and was hoping to be able to check out a few apartment complexes while I'm there. I know of collegetown terrace. Any others that I should keep in mind?
Some people used to live in apartment complexes down Oak and Maple Ave., but only one I remember the name of was Fairview: https://www.dawnhomes.com/apartments/ny ... /fairview/

If you'd like to live farther down by the Commons, check out Cayuga Place: https://cayugaplace.com/
Cool, thank you. I can't wait to visit!

jellyjar

Post by jellyjar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Hello! So I'm visiting tomorrow and have the opportunity to sit in on a Civ Pro class. The options are Prof. Clopton, Prof. Clermont, and Prof. Cavanagh... anyone recommend one over the others to sit in on?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 pm

jellyjar wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm
Hello! So I'm visiting tomorrow and have the opportunity to sit in on a Civ Pro class. The options are Prof. Clopton, Prof. Clermont, and Prof. Cavanagh... anyone recommend one over the others to sit in on?
I'd do Clermont for the entertainment value. I hear the others are great profs, but they're newer and I've never seen them perform. Regardless, I wouldn't expect to understand what's going on.

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 pm

jellyjar wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm
Cavanagh is also entertaining and his class will give you a sense of how intense a cold call environment can be, if you’re interested in seeing that. He’s a visiting professor, however, if that makes any difference to you.

Oneanddone?

Post by Oneanddone? » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 am

Please help me rationalize Cornell’s pros over the cold and bitter winters!

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

Oneanddone? wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 am
https://www.lstreports.com/national/

This, combined with the fact that you'll probably get more money from Cornell than you will from schools with similar employment stats.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

Clamence wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am
Oneanddone? wrote:

This, combined with the fact that you'll probably get more money from Cornell than you will from schools with similar employment stats.
WHy is Cornell only ranked 13th when their employment stats are so kickass? Like, they've got a higher employment score on LST than Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Penn, UVA, and Northwestern!

Mma038

Post by Mma038 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am
Clamence wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:

WHy is Cornell only ranked 13th when their employment stats are so kickass? Like, they've got a higher employment score on LST than Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Penn, UVA, and Northwestern!
I don't think USnews is directly correlated with employment numbers. Also, i think their low clerk numbers probably hurts them. Also HSN probably has a lot of self selection which hurts their employment numbers

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 am

Clamence wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:

Yeah, employment stats and cost are always the two most important considerations, and Cornell's in a position where (1) its employment stats are way better than the schools ranked below it but also about the same as the schools ranked above it, and (2) it will usually be less expensive than the schools ranked above it. Hence, I personally chose Cornell over NYU, Duke, and Michigan primarily because it had the same employment stats and was also the cheapest option. There were some other considerations that solidified my choice (and other things I learned about the school only after starting that I've since come to appreciate), but it's hard to give a pros and cons list in the abstract without knowing your goals, what other schools you're considering, and a bit about your preferences (because pros for one person can be cons for another). For example, I liked the small class size and college town setting, but that's not for everyone.

I will say that the weather is probably the biggest con. And I don't think it's a silly consideration, since you're deciding where to spend 3 years of your life. But it's not really much worse than anyplace else in the Northeast. It's probably 10 degrees colder than NYC on average. As someone from NYC, it didn't bother me much. You'll also be spending a lot of time indoors studying anyway. And there are some great outdoors activities for when it's nice out.

Feel free to PM if you want to chat about the pros and cons for you personally.

Oneanddone?

Post by Oneanddone? » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 am
Clamence wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:

Yeah, employment stats and cost are always the two most important considerations, and Cornell's in a position where (1) its employment stats are way better than the schools ranked below it but also about the same as the schools ranked above it, and (2) it will usually be less expensive than the schools ranked above it. Hence, I personally chose Cornell over NYU, Duke, and Michigan primarily because it had the same employment stats and was also the cheapest option. There were some other considerations that solidified my choice (and other things I learned about the school only after starting that I've since come to appreciate), but it's hard to give a pros and cons list in the abstract without knowing your goals, what other schools you're considering, and a bit about your preferences (because pros for one person can be cons for another). For example, I liked the small class size and college town setting, but that's not for everyone.

I will say that the weather is probably the biggest con. And I don't think it's a silly consideration, since you're deciding where to spend 3 years of your life. But it's not really much worse than anyplace else in the Northeast. It's probably 10 degrees colder than NYC on average. As someone from NYC, it didn't bother me much. You'll also be spending a lot of time indoors studying anyway. And there are some great outdoors activities for when it's nice out.

Feel free to PM if you want to chat about the pros and cons for you personally.
Thank you so much everyone! Lavitz, I might send a PM in your direction depending on scholarship results. There is so much I love about Cornell - incredibly faculty for one - but they also seem to have a very holistic admissions process. Does that translate to the nature of the student body? (And if so, how?)

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:01 am

Oneanddone? wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:39 pm
Thank you so much everyone! Lavitz, I might send a PM in your direction depending on scholarship results. There is so much I love about Cornell - incredibly faculty for one - but they also seem to have a very holistic admissions process. Does that translate to the nature of the student body? (And if so, how?)
Not really sure what the "holistic" admissions process refers to, because I wouldn't refer to the process I went through as very holistic. But that was a different admissions dean, and they didn't do interviews back then. Regardless of how holistic the process is, it seems like your basic question is: what is the student body that ultimately ends up at Cornell like?

I don't know that there's a Cornell "type." It's a small school, but with 200 students in each class, you do get plenty of diversity. I won't say that you'll love every single one of them, because at any school there are always a few gunners/weirdos that slip under the admissions radar. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

What I will say is that I liked the vast majority of my classmates. They were/are very interesting, nice, and down-to-earth people. I made a lot of friends that I enjoyed spending time with, and law school was a lot of fun for me as a result. I can't possibly know if I would have had as much fun at another school, but it's hard for me to imagine. People were always setting up social events either through student orgs or just informally. We partied a lot, to the point where my class got the law school indefinitely banned from certain venues. Otherwise, people worked hard, but nobody was cutthroat (except when the law school plays process servers in the Spring, then all bets are off :twisted: ).

It was a supportive community, although that could have more to do with the class size than people's pre-existing personalities. Every 1L is assigned an upperclassmen mentor. Even though about 25% of the 3Ls study abroad in the Fall, over half the total 2L/3Ls volunteer to be mentors, so there's always enough, and I think that speaks to how helpful people are. The school's tagline is "lawyers in the best sense" and I think enough people take it seriously to make a difference.

Also, I'll address your mention of incredible faculty. The faculty are great, to be sure. But the overall quality of faculty is probably the same throughout the T-14. If you're focused on a particular goal and there's a faculty member at a school that can help you, then it would make sense for that to influence your decision of where to go. For example, if you really wanted to do death penalty work, the presence of Professors Blume and Johnson (and the capital punishment clinic in general) would weigh in favor of choosing Cornell. Otherwise, for anyone interested in the faculty, what you should be focused on is really how many opportunities you'll have to interact with them. And Cornell has plenty of that.

You'll have 30 people in your section, and you'll have at least one small section prof who takes you to his/her house for dinner or something. There's a "take a faculty member to lunch" program, where you can sign up to go to lunch with a prof and the school will pay for it. I believe now most profs are assigned a small group of 1Ls to mentor, so there should be a lunch involved with that. In addition to the many regular seminar classes, there are now plenty of 1-credit at-home seminars on interesting topics at prof's homes where you can get to know them better. At cabaret, they will auction off doing random stuff with them, like a doubles tennis match, or an archery lesson. Then there's the small class size and student to faculty ratio in general, which makes it easier for you to see them in office hours or volunteer to be an RA. So the fact that they're great scholars may not mean much to your experience as a student in the abstract, but the opportunities to interact with them will, and it's something else to consider.

kdh120

Post by kdh120 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Where do you suggest to live? I've heard Collegetown Terrace is nice.
Would you recommend bringing a car to campus?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 pm

kdh120 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 pm
Places to live have been discussed in this thread. I lived in Hughes during 1L, but now that that's closed, if I were entering as a 1L, I'd spring for Collegetown Terrace for 1L and then consider looking for something cheaper (possibly with roommates) for 2L / 3L.

If you already have a car, I'd definitely bring it. You don't really need one, but it's very helpful. If you don't already have one, you'd want to consider a few factors: how often you go grocery shopping, how much you hate relying on others for rides, whether and how often you'll use it to travel home or NYC, whether you'll want a car in the city you hope to work in after law school, whether it help you with moving, how good a deal you're getting on the car, etc. I already had one and was glad I brought it because I tended to cook most of my meals and consequently went to Wegmans every week, was able to use it to go home to NYC every break, enjoyed being able to give other people rides to things, and was able to fit all of my stuff into it every time I moved. But other people survived perfectly fine without cars.

ETA: Worth noting that you can only park in the lots behind the law school on weekends and after 5pm on weekdays. If you want to use it to commute to classes, you'd have to find street parking down the hill or buy a pass (around $700) for a lot that's still about a 5-10 minute walk from the law school, so it doesn't make sense unless you're living far away. But having my car was also useful for the many times I needed to go back up to the law school on off-hours and didn't want to carry books up and down the hill.

Coleslawschool

Post by Coleslawschool » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 pm
kdh120 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 pm
Places to live have been discussed in this thread. I lived in Hughes during 1L, but now that that's closed, if I were entering as a 1L, I'd spring for Collegetown Terrace for 1L and then consider looking for something cheaper (possibly with roommates) for 2L / 3L.

If you already have a car, I'd definitely bring it. You don't really need one, but it's very helpful. If you don't already have one, you'd want to consider a few factors: how often you go grocery shopping, how much you hate relying on others for rides, whether and how often you'll use it to travel home or NYC, whether you'll want a car in the city you hope to work in after law school, whether it help you with moving, how good a deal you're getting on the car, etc. I already had one and was glad I brought it because I tended to cook most of my meals and consequently went to Wegmans every week, was able to use it to go home to NYC every break, enjoyed being able to give other people rides to things, and was able to fit all of my stuff into it every time I moved. But other people survived perfectly fine without cars.

ETA: Worth noting that you can only park in the lots behind the law school on weekends and after 5pm on weekdays. If you want to use it to commute to classes, you'd have to find street parking down the hill or buy a pass (around $700) for a lot that's still about a 5-10 minute walk from the law school, so it doesn't make sense unless you're living far away. But having my car was also useful for the many times I needed to go back up to the law school on off-hours and didn't want to carry books up and down the hill.
Following up with this housing question (sorry I’m late to game Cornell wasn’t on my initial list) are any of these places mentioned pet friendly or would the best option be something downtown with a car in this case? Thank you! I’m habing a little bit of trouble finding info on this online.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Coleslawschool wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Following up with this housing question (sorry I’m late to game Cornell wasn’t on my initial list) are any of these places mentioned pet friendly or would the best option be something downtown with a car in this case? Thank you! I’m habing a little bit of trouble finding info on this online.
I don't know about the others, but I know Cayuga Place is pet-friendly. It's downtown, but not a terribly far walk from the law school (20 minutes), and you could probably take the bus if the weather sucks and/or you don't want to walk that far uphill. There's also a parking garage if you want to bring your car.

BlackAcre69

Post by BlackAcre69 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Literally just checking in to say a- Lavitz I will one day figure out who you are and will die a happy individual, b - Cornell is a great place and other schools suck so if you're a cool person you should come, and c - new to the site, here to help.

nidoking

Post by nidoking » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 pm

When would you recommend visiting Cornell/Ithaca? I've been looking on the website to find info about tours/information sessions/class visits, but can't find anything available.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

nidoking wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 pm
When would you recommend visiting Cornell/Ithaca? I've been looking on the website to find info about tours/information sessions/class visits, but can't find anything available.
There's a link to the tour portal in the FAQ section here: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... JUMP_34153

If you're talking about visiting before applying / being admitted, I think either September or October is best. Fall is scenic, it won't be cold, classes will be in session but nobody should be freaking out about finals, admissions won't be busy dealing with admitted students, etc. But March or April are fine too if you're hoping to visit soon.

notorious_rbg

Post by notorious_rbg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm

What is living in Ithaca like? Is there always something to do/what do students do for fun? I’m worried about feeling restless/isolated as I have never lived in a rural setting but I love Cornell

Mma038

Post by Mma038 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Same line of question as RBG. Do students feel claustrophobic and trapped due to the small class size and isolation?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Nonexhaustive list of what law students do for fun:
  • Drink / dance / trivia / karaoke night at one of the 10 or so bars in Ithaca, often when there's a law school or student group sponsored bartab / event
  • House parties
  • Drink at the monthly mixer in the law school
  • Potlucks with your sectionmates / student clubs
  • Wine tours at the many wineries
  • Intramural sports against the rest of the university. The law school has fielded soccer, basketball, flag football, and volleyball teams in the past. You can do others if you an organize a team.
  • Pickup basketball / other games
  • Ski trips
  • Boating on Cayuga Lake
  • There are apparently horseback riding and golf classes I know law students have taken through the university. I assume you can also just find a way to do those things.
  • Hiking the many scenic trails in the area
  • Attending a Cornell hockey game
  • Attending a Cornell football game...usually just on homecoming
  • Other homecoming events that do not require staying to see the Cornell football team get slaughtered
  • Attending any university cultural / social events that seem interesting (e.g., Japanese Festival)
  • Attending any Ithaca festivals (e.g., Applefest)
  • Go apple picking
  • Fall Ball / Barrister's Ball
  • Halloween Costume Party
  • Cabaret (talent show / auction)
  • Go to the movies (or have movie night in the student lounge)
  • Go to the local theatre
  • Have a snowball fight
  • Go play bocce at Ithaca Brewery
  • Use the racquetball court in the law school
  • Go bowling
  • Go to the gym / take kickboxing/yoga/whatever lessons
  • ...the date auction
Should be enough to fill your spare time for 3 years if you're worried about feeling restless and isolated.

As for feeling claustrophobic and trapped because of the small class size and isolation, I can't speak for others, and I'm sure some people may have felt that way, but I never felt it. I think the biggest complaint about the small class size was that it made it feel like high school, and everyone knows each others' business (although everyone at other schools also complains about law school being like high school, so it's probably just a matter of degree). And because you likely won't know anyone else in Ithaca, it can be challenging for people who want to have a life outside of law / the law school. Some people are stressed out by other law students. Still, there are various ways to get to know people outside the law school (some grad student mixers, etc.). And I didn't find my fellow students to be bad company, even in the throes of finals. Hence, I felt more "claustrophobic and trapped" in my massive SA firm in Manhattan than I ever did in my small law school in Ithaca.

Clamence

Post by Clamence » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Mma038 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm
Same line of question as RBG. Do students feel claustrophobic and trapped due to the small class size and isolation?
notorious_rbg wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm
What is living in Ithaca like? Is there always something to do/what do students do for fun? I’m worried about feeling restless/isolated as I have never lived in a rural setting but I love Cornell
To supplement Lavitz's post, I want to add that I've also never felt claustrophobic or trapped, and I've never been at a loss with what to do with my free time. I've also lived in a big city in the past and greatly enjoyed it, so it's not like I prefer rural life or anything, and I'm certainly not more accustomed to it.

Additionally, not to scare any 0Ls, but you really won't have a whole lot of free time in law school, especially as a 1L. If I were not in law school, Ithaca might bore me after a while, but as a law student, it's actually wonderful. The scenery provides some solace from the hustle of law school. I enjoy being able to leave class and walk down a gorge trail on my way home, for instance. And in my free time, I drink and cook with friends, watch movies, throw parties, go bowling at the Cornell bowling alley (yes that's a thing), play squash, etc. The location of Cornell has never bothered me in the slightest, and if anything, it has made my time here more enjoyable.

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 pm
I'll add some other festivals/concerts: finger lakes thaw, grassroots, ithaca chili cook-off, the summer concert series (seriously, free music on the commons on most weekends in the summer), wizarding weekend, chowder cook-ff, ice fest (outside ice bar, check. ice carving competitions, check), ithaca festival...I'm missing a few.
Edit: porchfest..another great one.
Edit 2: Cayuga sound, duh. can't believe I missed it last year, but I think it will be annual.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:17 pm

I stumbled across the Maplewood Apartments website and they look great. They'll' be brand new in August. Great amenities and reasonable rent for the quality of the apartment. Frankly, the apartments seem too good to be true. Does anyone know if there's some kind of catch?

http://livemaplewoodapartments.com/

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:57 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:17 pm
I stumbled across the Maplewood Apartments website and they look great. They'll' be brand new in August. Great amenities and reasonable rent for the quality of the apartment. Frankly, the apartments seem too good to be true. Does anyone know if there's some kind of catch?

http://livemaplewoodapartments.com/
It's hard to say if there's a catch considering they're brand new. Before they renovated, very few law students lived there because it was pretty far, more expensive than closer places, wasn't as nice, and I believe you had to have roommates.

But it looks like the apartments are much nicer now, the prices look reasonable for how nice they are, and they offer studios and 1BRs. It's still a pretty long walk to the law school, but that alone probably isn't a big deal.